Crossbows are NOT more accurate than Compounds

fasteddie

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Sorry but thats nonsense. Levi Morgan doesnt do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ever watch his hunting show?  he and his wife have made some of the worst shots with the bow ive ever seen.  Multiple times - so many it was ticking me off and i wouldnt watch his show.  Maybe overconfidence??  but shooting them in the ass, guts etc.  I guess at least they showed it and didnt edit out.  But one his wife hit and then they had to take a few days and finally finish it off with a rifle as it was wounded so bad.

which is easier to shoot?  lol.  Well one i have to have set up at a "Pro" shop before I shoot it.  The other I take out of a box....  seems kinda hands down right.  

I can shoot my xbow lefthanded..... try switching with a compound.  

I can hand my xbow to any of you and you will bullseye with it.   Try it with my compound.  

Which is easier to shoot- a rifle with 6-8 pounds pulling against it to hold it still ?  or a rifle without? 

It amazes me guys that think the compound is as easy, its as if theyve never shot a xbow. I take mine out and shoot it once before season.  GTG.  The compound I start practicing with in August,  and thats after years of shooting. Many guys shoot all year to keep form and practice. 

Its like saying its easier to fly a plane than drive for a pilot.  Because theyve done it so much they might feel that way but it isnt easier. Thats ridiculous.    

• Like 5

Yes using My old bow and sights set up for him at proshop.   Once they are set , it's not hard stay still  and release.   Guys consisitany shoot 3 in groups at 75 to hunt muledeer pronghorn and elk out west..   here a shot over 35 in woods is ill-advised , bow or crossbow.
The interesting part of the article is crossbows were shot from lead sled..  try off hand .. make a huge difference  you would see compounds pass crossbow in accuracy if that was done apples to apples , most are 2 or 3x as heavey as a bow and front heavy.. ( reverse limbs help but still heavier) plus try shooting behind the tree your sitting against.. the horizontal limbs get in the way and decrease your killing angle field significantly, when compared to a compound..  off a rest  I will say yes more accurate at range  in hunting situations they are statistically the same .  Many studies have been done on wounding and kill  rate..  
Is his name Levi Morgan by chance??

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

which is easier to shoot?  lol.  Well one i have to have set up at a "Pro" shop before I shoot it.  The other I take out of a box....  seems kinda hands down right.  

I can shoot my xbow lefthanded..... try switching with a compound.  

I can hand my xbow to any of you and you will bullseye with it.   Try it with my compound.  

Which is easier to shoot- a rifle with 6-8 pounds pulling against it to hold it still ?  or a rifle without? 

It amazes me guys that think the compound is as easy, its as if theyve never shot a xbow. I take mine out and shoot it once before season.  GTG.  The compound I start practicing with in August,  and thats after years of shooting. Many guys shoot all year to keep form and practice. 

Its like saying its easier to fly a plane than drive for a pilot.  Because theyve done it so much they might feel that way but it isnt easier. Thats ridiculous.    

Which is easier to draw and hold at full draw ? The one with the boat winch built into the stock or the one where the shooter is responsible for drawing and holding on the stops

• Like 1

ever watch his hunting show?  he and his wife have made some of the worst shots with the bow ive ever seen.  Multiple times - so many it was ticking me off and i wouldnt watch his show.  Maybe overconfidence??  but shooting them in the ass, guts etc.  I guess at least they showed it and didnt edit out.  But one his wife hit and then they had to take a few days and finally finish it off with a rifle as it was wounded so bad.
His wife is a horrible......she rides his coat tails and gets paid big bucks because he won't sign with a bow company unless they sign her.

His bad shots might be overconfidence......I haven't seen his show. In the world of 3d archery there is no better......he has ice in his vanes when it comes down to making clutch shots time after time.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

The whole topic of which is easier is brought on by simple propaganda to push a narrative. The narrative being full inclusion. Let's not pretend that each of us is not smart enough to see through that. The kid shooting 1" groups at 50 yds just starting out is purely BS or one in a million odds. The staunch opponents to logic are the same ones that are pushing full inclusion, you do the math.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It seems to me that guys that want full inclusion overemphasize how easy compounds are and folks that oppose it do the opposite.  Of course it’s easier for the uninitiated to shoot a crossbow accurately vs a compound.  But it also doesn’t take all that much effort to learn to shoot a compound reasonably accurately at typical NY hunting distances, say inside 30yds.  My first year hunting, I bought my first bow in Sept and killed 2 deer with a bow in Oct.  Not the greatest kill shots but that was more nerves having never killed anything.  My shooting was decent in a few practice sessions.   If I am not feeling up to par with a recurve, I will always take the compound over crossbow because I think it’s easier to move in a stand and carry.  And I think I am equally accurate with it.   Honestly, if you ever hunted with a recurve, you know that modern compounds are not difficult.   But if you want to hand someone an implement that never shot a bow at all, they can shoot a crossbow accurately almost immediately (at reasonable ranges).    I don’t care much either way whether crossbows get full inclusion.  I won’t use one anyways.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like everything in this world, it all comes down to the individual not the implement at hand. This also includes their tendencies and use for said weapon. I know people who shoot 50 yard shots on deer who shouldnt be.. and i also know people who shoot 100 yrd shots with crossbows in open fields and extreme long range through the woods with crossbow.. resulting in wounded deer... these people also have zero guilt while walking away from a lost deer.. 

This holds true with every aspect in life.. driving, medicine practice, job titles in every position amongst life..  And its something that we will deal with forever unless you ask for total control, and i know the majority or all of us.. dont want anything to do with that.

A compound bow can certainly be as accurate or more accurate than crossbows(especially vs cheap crossbows with crap tolerances)..  Ive began to care less about full inclusion.. I still will never buy one, unless there was a Xbow season only.. and even then, I may sit that season out.. I see zero joy in shooting one..

My wife has her choice words for able men that would rather shoot Xbow over a vertical Compoound/recurve/long bow lol I love it!  :taunt:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Maybe Levi and his producers are more honest than others in the entertainment industry and try and leave the real situations, good or bad in their production.    I would venture to guess most hunting (especially archery) are heavily edited.   

• Like 2

I've shot 1/2" groups at 125 yards with my elite. Basically robin hood most times. I have to shoot at 200 yards plus to save from ruining arrows. Gman is right. Super easy. Just hold still and let er fly.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Yet another reason why I was honored to shake your hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Maybe Levi and his producers are more honest than others in the entertainment industry and try and leave the real situations, good or bad in their production.    I would venture to guess most hunting (especially archery) are heavily edited.   

the shots they often took to me werent even ethical.  Long distance and quartering etc.  But prob overconfidence being the best competition shooter in the world!   i would agree im sure a lot is edited out.  But i kept saying they have no business taking those shots.  after like 3 episodes in a row of bad shots, i was out on them.  

i dont care that much about inclusion.  I am actually the only guy in NY it seems that likes the seasons the way they are.  I hunt with all the implements and enjoy them all.  Prob my least favorite is gun season.  But I would like to see inclusion for a couple of older friends that due to injury and age cant hold that bow back and steady anymore, and have to mostly sit out the archery season now til the last two weeks. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly, if you ever hunted with a recurve, you know that modern compounds are not difficult.   But if you want to hand someone an implement that never shot a bow at all, they can shoot a crossbow accurately almost immediately (at reasonable ranges).    I don’t care much either way whether crossbows get full inclusion.  I won’t use one anyways.  

Isn't that the truth. I've owned a recurve for a couple years now and have not put the time in to learn to shoot it well yet..

I CAN hit the broad side of a barn with it but may miss a garden shed at 75 yds...;)

• Like 1

Being in my 60's and I've hunted over 40 of them I've benefited from seeing all of the technology advances.  My grandpa shot longbow.  He made the longbow as well as the arrows.  There was no "bow season" but the bow was what he could afford.  That man put a lot of meat on the table and was an expert in woodcraft.  Deer wasn't as plentiful then as they are now but that really didn't matter.  It wasn't so much a hobby for him.  He was feeding family.

He started me with a recurve.  I recall not being all that good with his long bow.  I did move to compound and my present bow is generations behind what's available now.

In the beginning, there were no sights.  Then came the peep site in string, then there were the pins, then the first compound bows came which were really a long bow with a couple cams.  Do you really want to say you are roughing it with what you use now?  Laughable as some of the hunting shows being watched.   You have greatly benefited from technology that made it easier for you.  Just like the crossbow has.

With proper body mechanics a modern compound bow is very easy to shoot at a target.  That may not be true of deer but there's more things that come into play then. 

With that be said, I'm glad you do have available modern compounds as you make better shots.  I hate to see wounded deer dying from poor shots.  Many of you would never achieve the skill required to shoot a recurve or long bow accurately.  Sorry if I hurt any feelings but it's true.  You need the aid of the compound because it is easier.

I really don't care what you hunt with as long as it's legal and ethical.  These post as to why you are a better hunter because of the instrument you choose so you deserve your private season are so pointless and self-serving.   It's a very big woods.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Why are so many people trying to pretend using any weapons are "hard"? If people really wanted a challenge they would hunt with a knife only. Or take all the sights off the bow? what's the goal?

Who said it was “hard”?

• Like 2

i dont care that much about inclusion.  I am actually the only guy in NY it seems that likes the seasons the way they are.  I hunt with all the implements and enjoy them all.  Prob my least favorite is gun season.  But I would like to see inclusion for a couple of older friends that due to injury and age cant hold that bow back and steady anymore, and have to mostly sit out the archery season now til the last two weeks. 

I dont know anyone that disagrees with that. Trouble is theyve never proposed a senior exemption have they?

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Exactly. Not sure why someone else would care what someone else in the woods is using. I guess I don’t get the part that it hurts their archery experience while they sit there with a compound and a guy a few hundred yards away sits with a crossbow. It’s not like they are going to put that many more hunters in the woods and then that’s mostly on state land if it does. And even if it does the guy that’s already hunting state land is probably…if he is smart.. is already hunting where most won’t go regardless of the weapon in hand. 

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont know anyone that disagrees with that. Trouble is theyve never proposed a senior exemption have they?

"New York Senate Bill 7747 (S7747) would allow youth hunters ages 12-16 and senior hunters ages 55+ to hunt with a crossbow during special archery seasons. The bill also removes current minimum limb width and maximum draw weight restrictions."

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

Funny

I had a young-one hitting five-inch groups on a target with my compound with a day's training.

Don't worry though.  He couldn't do it with the recurve.

at what distance

17 hours ago, G-Man said:

The kill rate of compounds and crossbows are the same as is the loss / non recovery. 

I had 2 new bow hunters this year  both killed deer with minimal practice  one shot maybe 4 dozen arrows the other maybe 12.. ..  modern compounds once peep and pins are set are pretty easy.. 

yes flat footed in the backyard sure. Aligning a peep and bending at the waste in November in a treestand fully clothed, not trying to get busted drawing on a wild animal is very different. I don't know a non-western archer regardless of experience that routinely takes or recommends shots over 40 yards. 

16 hours ago, G-Man said:

From a rest ..  try shooting around a tree  or holding up it for a minute waiting for a deer to step out, target and hunting situations are totally different

You contradict yourself here some. On a crossbow, the scope reticle is the scope reticle. There is no aligning and thinking like one has to do with ligning up the peep site, while also being conscious of bow arm, wrist position etc. The only downside to a crossbow vs a compound might be weight, but I'd assume that just holding something heavy longer is still better than being at full draw for the same amount of time. 

Everything you just mentioned is still an issue with a compound too.

15 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Agree.....that's not normal. Not calling you a lier.....just very rare for a new shooter to have good enough form and confidence to shoot a 1" group at 50. In all seriousness ypur friend has a special talent and should pursue competitive archery tournaments.

I bet most new archers can't group 1" at 20yards let alone 50.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I've been shooting archery for over 15 years and I can't do 1" groups at 50 with a top of line matthews, fully kitted out. Heck I remember sighting in my spot hogg, I needed to calibrate at 60. It's insane how long that really is and  i lost a brand new FMJ arrow in the process. Your site pin starts to take up most of the target at that distance.

Hell I'll go as far and say that many here probably couldn't shoot 1" groups with a rifle free hand at 50. 

1" g-man claims... not 3"... 1". That's your thumbnail guys, he's claiming a brand new shooter is shooting tournament class arrows and damn near robinhooding (considering the width of most arrows are 1/4-1/2. 

Sorry g-man, you're a good dude but this is bs.

• Like 3