Sako rifles ?

I have two, a RH 22-250 heavy barrel (Gracia Import) and a LH 375 H&H Deluxe (Stoeger Import)  They are great guns!  The 22-250 had been my woodchuck gun until a couple years ago.  Now using a 223 AI.  The 375H&H is destined to go to Africa, someday, hopefully with me. :)

Although I've never handled a newer one, I can highly recommend the older ones.

That's in the $3000 range.  Kimber has a great 8400 Advanced Tactical rifle for around $2500 but only comes in .308 or .300WM.  The only Kimber in .338WM is the 8400 which can be had in the stainless/Kevlar Montana model for about $1000, but it's a hunting rifle, not a tactical.  It is extremely accurate though with the match chamber and trigger, plus the air gauged barrel.

It might pay to check out their website:

www.kimberamerica.com

Im looking more in to the sako trg-42 338 cal. The price is pretty high im just wondering is it worth it.

Accurate as can be IF you require a tactical rifle. Also you should then be considering a Blaser LRS2.

At about the same price you then have the option of adding a barrel to change calibers (308 Win or 300win).The Blaser platform allows for a switch barrel using the same trigger and bolt assembly,they are VERY accurate (I have a hunting version of the same make,R93)

I can highly recommend this dealer as you are going to want some serious optics to take advantage of the 338 Lapua ballistics.He's in PA and has MANY satisfied customers.I have been buying from him for 10+ years and he is hard to beat for pricing for both the rifle you are looking for and some glass for on top. Ask for a quote as he lists MSRP and often has some room to move.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg.asp

For shots from 500 to 1000 yds I think you will find both the Sako and the Blaser will be equally matched.

http://www.eurooptic.com/blaser-tactical-2-rifles.asp

Just throwing this out since I don't know your end use.....

Several shooters are using a 338 RUM since it can be built on a 700rem action due to bolthead diameter.

700's are very good for accuracy and with 700 300RUM actions to be had cheap they make good choices for a build. You could have Hart rebarrel one and bed it in your choice of stocks for 1/3 less than the Sako or Blaser.

Donor $350

Barrel $750- feeding shouldn't be an issue with 338 RUM

Stock $600-800

Trigger$100

Its tight for a 338 Lapua as some smiths don't like how little is left on the bolt head for its case diameter.

The RUM brass is cheaper and has slightly more case capacity. But it really depends on application.

My uncle acquired a used but unfired Sako Finnbear last year.  Nice gun, nice wood, but surely wouldn't spend the money for a brand new one.  Also a bit heavy for my taste.  Accuracy was fine, but lots of guns out there these days that shoot outstanding for a lot less money.  What I didn't like the most about it was the Sako scope mounts.  Too wide of a distance between the rings to fit many scopes.  I like the integral mounting system they have, but don't understand why the distance needs to be so wide.  They do have some offset rings available, but the price tag is something like $150 for them.  Not my cup of tea when one can get scores of different mounts for most other guns. 

My uncle acquired a used but unfired Sako Finnbear last year.  Nice gun, nice wood, but surely wouldn't spend the money for a brand new one.  Also a bit heavy for my taste.  Accuracy was fine, but lots of guns out there these days that shoot outstanding for a lot less money.  What I didn't like the most about it was the Sako scope mounts.  Too wide of a distance between the rings to fit many scopes.  I like the integral mounting system they have, but don't understand why the distance needs to be so wide.  They do have some offset rings available, but the price tag is something like $150 for them.  Not my cup of tea when one can get scores of different mounts for most other guns.

The Sako Optilock system they use has many ring sets availible for distance between rings. Most are in the $80 range.....a few specialty ring sets do run more; but that would be the exception. Many aftermarket ring makers have sets to fit for less; the Optilock tends to be the standard for accuracy and reliability.

At around 7 1/2 lbs. I would say they run about average for a wood stocked gun for the longer action Finnbear.

I am not to much a fan of the newer 85 but have owned an L61 and a 75(which is a great gun).

Does Sako supply mounts with the gun?  He acquired this gun with these mounts, so I'm not sure if they came with the rifle or not, but they will pretty much fit only very long scopes.  I would think they would supply the gun with a more standard ring distance which would fit a wider variety of scopes.  In comparison to a wood stocked Browning A-bolt, a Remington 700 BDL, or Ruger M77, the Sako was noticeably heavier.  I know the barrel is an inch or two longer, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.  The stock is definitely where the weight differences seems to be.  I know there are lighter versions of the Sako available, though.  I honestly don't think you can beat the American manufacturers for quality and price.  Some guys like the shiny finishes on those european guns, but in general they won't outshoot the American guns.  Accuracy has just been getting better and better, even in inexpensive guns, so how much more do shooters need, I don't know.

Does Sako supply mounts with the gun?  He acquired this gun with these mounts, so I'm not sure if they came with the rifle or not, but they will pretty much fit only very long scopes.

Most proper dealers supply a set of rings that will be appropriate for the chosen scope. Some might feel that the lack of requiring bases eliminates one more piece to mount and effect accuracy.

As to why choose one.....guess thats up to the buyer.

The fit and finish and barrel quality of any gun needs to be evaluated by the individual. Just as some will buy a Ford, some will buy a Lexus; both can get you to the store. I like pretty oiled wood stocks; doesn't make the gun shoot any better...but I still like it.

That said I also have a nice 375 H+H in a tupperware stock, and I appreciate what that is too. An accurate shooter in a heavier package to suck up recoil for quick follow ups.

I like to think that both have their place in the safe....

As for accuracy....depends on your use. That 338 Lapua is just starting to play at 500 yds and 1000 yd regular groups are when it shines. At over a 1/2 mile away things start to get interesting. I only occasionally get the opportunity for longer shots and it has been loads of fun.

This video is interesting. You will note that the Browning(Japan) and the Remington(US) are the only catastrophic failures :-[

Doesn't really prove much other than to check for a bore obstruction, but its fun to watch.

I'm trying to figure out why you posted the video??  Like you say, it don't prove anything.  Were the barrels of these rifles all obstructed the same exact way??  I highly doubt a completely obstructed barrel from a european rifle would hold up any better than anyone elses.  There is absolutely NO way that a completely obstructed barrel wouldn't even create a bulge on the barrel like happened here with some of the european guns.  You can believe this video if you want, but I surely won't. 

Cause its fun to watch?

I find it ironic to the topic.

It was done in an independent lab. All done the same way on obstruction;  all 300Win IIRC. The report is like 30 pages long; I'll post a link if I can find it and add it to that post. If you watch close you can see where the barrels flex in all the guns they just don't have failures as dramatic. In all cases the barrels are toast.

Some might conclude that the steel in the barrels is of higher quality.

You are certainly free to believe what you want. After all it is the internet and you get to do that.

Cheers.