Turkey Hunting Success Thread

nygooseduster26

I know it's one bird per day 2 bird limit....that's what I shot..one bird

Sits...I did call...I started with light tree yelps just as it got light enough to see...thats when that Tom let loose....He must have seen me come in....or heard for I snapped branches when I walked in and opened all the blind windows....so when that single hen walked through he flew off his perch down hill to her......I called to get him and the other to come back up...that's when all the other birds got going....and then more single hens walked through...I let The toms bring each other in...I don't believe in a lot of calling if you have Toms Gobbling...unless it sounds like they are moving away from you.....

I think your double bird pic in the original post threw him off. I had to take a second look myself.

Congrats to all of you who braved the rains yesterday.

Edited by RangerClay

Ya.. that was the opps...lol

As for calling...I use my natural voice and slate with strikes I make...the first time I used the new cam I stuck it in my pocket and went out to spray plots a couple of weeks ago...heard a gooble and ducked into a natural ground blind....I didn't know the camera was on..and I decided to Practice a bit and I had a single hen......my calling has always brought hens in don't know why...but they do make for great live decoys...any ways she had a jake follow her in....It was 80 degrees and my throat was dry ..so not my best...heres three snip it's from that..it took a total of 11 mn. for those birds to show...the jake was 4ft away and I turned camera off thinking it wasn't on....lol ...the hen circled around to the open side of blind...I couldn't move being in a bright wht shirt..lol....

http://youtu.be/pzWR4gHJxoA

http://youtu.be/fDi4u9lJEkg

http://youtu.be/RdN6cIR7pQs

Edited by growalot

Great birds! Congrats everyone! They all look pretty wet too! LOL

i think mine was more wet from the four wheeler ride down the hill gettin sprayed by mud lol, by time i got to the bottom of the mountain we call our hunting grounds i could barely feel my arm from carrying him

Sits...I did call...I started with light tree yelps just as it got light enough to see...thats when that Tom let loose....He must have seen me come in....or heard for I snapped branches when I walked in and opened all the blind windows....so when that single hen walked through he flew off his perch down hill to her......I called to get him and the other to come back up...that's when all the other birds got going....and then more single hens walked through...I let The toms bring each other in...I don't believe in a lot of calling if you have Toms Gobbling...unless it sounds like they are moving away from you.....

very good...and as far as calling with your voice im impressed... Edited by sits in trees

haha i dont feel bad at all, he does it to me all too often lol. if you hadn't text me at 9 saying get ready hes gonna walk by your camera i may have been sleeping when they walked in the field lol, im sure that huge gobble he let out 10 feet in front of my blind would have woken me up tho haha. i'm sure ill be out of time before deer season, one more year and ill have another week, then there will be noone in service during deer season lol.

Thank you...as I said not my best...I need lots of water when I call or hard candies...throat gets very dry....I raised a bunch of bronze turkeys years ago...I would stand out side the pen and listen...then mimic...it took a bit but I would call out of sight from them until they would answer...then during bow season I started paying a lot of attention to the flocks of hens in the area...not much else to do...I can do a mean snort weeze and yote call as well....wild birds make some unusual vocals....

Congrats to all. I went out yesterday but not much luck. Then last night I blew my knee out> Spent 5hrs. at the ER. I might be riding the bench for the rest of the season. This stinks!!

Killed my second bird yesterday (May 2) morning at 10:40 AM. Luckily I didn't have to be at work until 3 in the afternoon. I didn't hear anything until about 10 AM but managed to call in this 18# fellow from long distance. He's a bit little smaller than my first bird, but they are all a beautiful gift. My season is over. Good luck to my brother hunters.

post-725-0-44925600-1336027368_thumb.jpg

Edited by adkbuck

Shot my bird Tuesday morning around 10am. Rain, fog, wind and miles of side hillin' later we stumbled onto this 2 year old. Closed the deal with the Benelli at 30 yards or so. Despite the "no smile" picture, I was very happy!

IMG_2338.jpg

• Like 1

post-733-0-04669700-1336051998_thumb.jpg

Shot this guy yesterday. I watched his big brother beat him up a bit. At a distance all I could see was wings flapping and birds jumping in the tall grass. After that commotion this guy presented a 30 yard shot that I could not pass up. It was a special moment for me. I used the call in the picture. It was my late uncles who lived and breathed turkey hunting. Out for big brother this weekend. Hope to have another addition.

Edited by screamon demon

Congrats to everyone!...I went out this morning for just a little while...My thermacell usually works on the no see-ums and blk flys...not today!!...Of course left cam at home because I went to an open blind and they called for rain...never came :mda: ...So it's getting light and a doe and yearling appear in front of me...I'm in one of the very long brush blinds and I closed the end with a jake blind...the yearling walks over...into the blind and sticks her head over the jake blind...lol....I'm trying not to laugh and blink..her wet blk nose is 3ft from my face...thermacell is smoking and then it dawns on her somethings not right...so she backs out...then comes back 2x's and finally walks away...then Mom comes over the other end of blind and does that Oh I'm feeding ....gotcha! head pops up thing...6 times...stands there for a bit and she walks away...Damn weather men...could have had that video

I heard gobbling from area I hunted opening day...then up on the ridge in front of me ..but he walked the other way into gully..didn't see a single hen...then 4 Jakes came in quiet and there wasn't 8ins. between them and that's how they fed in a clover patch 40 yrds away....looked like one big body with four heads bopping around...they left and I just couldn't handle it any more....must have had a bad pad in the thermacell..but put it in just before I left :fie: looks like the last snow storm knocked out the mosquitoes though...not a one....No bird but great morning...scent away is great!

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Wow great story growalot, and your calling is impressive to say the least! Very cool. Congrats to All great pics. I am debatting doing a hunt this weekend or a 3D shoot. Or possibly scouting out some local deer in my town just to see if it is legit... Good luck this weekend to all us weekend wariors!!! Take pics!