Turkey Hunting Success Thread

nygooseduster26

Congratulations everyone. I got my first bird yesterday morning, a jake. This is my first season getting into turkey hunting and I guess I'm hooked.

Was it a Republican or a Conservitave bird :sarcastichand:

Cabinboy,

Sorry for the lack of bird activity this morning. That's a line I have heard quite a bit in these parts as well this season. Bird numbers are definitely down. Don't get discouraged as thety definitely will be moving around and a gobbler can show up very unexpectedly.

On your scope, I have had bad luck with red dot scopes. They are fast but you always have to adjust them for the light conditions. I use two shotguns for turkeys, one has a hi-vis fiber optic peep sight mounted on the rib and the other has a Weaver 1-3X Variable which I keep on IX. The scope is very fast, has a large exit pupil (at 1X its almost 20mm) and a huge field of view. I have had great luck with both set-ups and I love the 1-3X weaver. Its a pretty inexpensive scope.

Headed out this am with my brother who never shot a turkeys before set up in a spot I've previously got turkeys they started gobbling at first light however when they came in I was the only one with a clean shot at 10 yards. So maybe tomorrow will be his day.

Great success guys, keep it going. The details of the first bird were: 10 1/2 inch beard, inch spurs (had some hook to em), and forgot to weight it. Im going after my second bird tomorrow with the ol Z-7. Took a bit of a breather after the first week. Went out three mornings, two longbeards and a jake on the ground (note that two of these were my dads). Got my dad all tagged out, jakester and a slob longbeard (26 pounds, 10 inch beard, and hooks like you wouldnt believe). Got that hunt all on video as well.

Best of luck to those tackling the rest of the season.