Is Putin emboldened by weak leadership and appeasement?

30 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I do not feel that way. Trump was a bafoon of a man, but he did a lot for the USA. A LOT! He bombed Russian soldiers in Syria as well as taking on their troops when Russia was warned to stop using chemical warfare and didn't listen. Trump also had China far more concerned with us then they are now, and even had that tiny little jackass in North Korea backing down. I'm no die hard Trump sack licker, but he was 1,000,000 times better then the over the top bleeding heart liberals running the show now.

Exactly.  And all one has to say is OIL   It’s hysterical that some think that these other countries would have done the same to a strong leader as they do to this pussy in there now. What kind of idiot thinks sanctions are going to hurt a guy that makes a living at hurting his people. Putin knew Trump was just as much the asshole and would go to any limits to prove his power and Putin knew he would be the loser at the end of that one. Period. This idiot even thinks waiting 30 days to enact the weak sanctions will hurt Putin.  Takes a complete idiot to even compare Trumps strength in office to the good for nothing in there now when it comes to other countries or anything really. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly.  And all one has to say is OIL   It’s hysterical that some think that these other countries would have done the same to a strong leader as they do to this pussy in there now. What kind of idiot thinks sanctions are going to hurt a guy that makes a living at hurting his people. Putin knew Trump was just as much the asshole and would go to any limits to prove his power and Putin knew he would be the loser at the end of that one. Period. This idiot even thinks waiting 30 days to enact the weak sanctions will hurt Putin.  Takes a complete idiot to even compare Trumps strength in office to the good for nothing in there now when it comes to other countries or anything really. 

Wasn't the first round of sanction put on literally 2 different financial institutions? 

5 minutes ago, phade said:

Ghost of Kyiv - might be the first Ace in the 21st century. 

Don't think it is confirmed yet but wow, if that is true, that is a singular feat not seen in a long time. I don't think we have any Aces still flying do we?

I saw this this morning, what a cool story, and this will probably embolden the Ukrainians and hopefully worry the Russians. Even if it's not the same person, I hope they let it ride as such. If Ukraine needs anything right now, it's a hero. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Nah, I completely disagree, I think it would have had the opposite effect, actually.  Only explanation as to why he didnt-that is logical, at least- is that my Man was in the White House and he was waiting- biding his time for new leadership. And now, that time has come-unfortunately for Ukraine, Europe, etc....

Why would he screw up having a US president as his buddy? 

44 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Never would have come to this in my view ( and that of alot of others on here).

Is this part where we shift from expert epidemiologists to geo-political savants? 

22 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Sanctions aren't meant to hurt the leader's wallet. They are designed to hurt the overall economy and the common man who then applies pressure to the leadership. 

As the article I linked to pointed out, sanctions would also have ramifications here. Are you ready to accept higher prices and fewer items on the shelf? A hit to the stock market. For Ukraine? Or to put Putin in his place? Based on the general bitching about higher prices, I say no.

4 minutes ago, left field said:

Sanctions aren't meant to hurt the leader's wallet. They are designed to hurt the overall economy and the common man who then applies pressure to the leadership. 

As the article I linked to pointed out, sanctions would also have ramifications here. Are you ready to accept higher prices and fewer items on the shelf? A hit to the stock market. For Ukraine? Or to put Putin in his place? Based on the general bitching about higher prices, I say no.

I was listening to a program yesterday that stated that these sanctions are less designed to hurt the average Russian and target the oligarchy. Pretty smart, as they are trying to keep morale for the war low with Russians, as many of them don't want it to begin with. Since Putin is framing the West as the enemy, hurting the average Russian will only add ammo to that point. 

However, the oligarchy is a central pillar to Putin's wealth and power. If you get the rich oligarchs to turn on Putin, he'll be out of power pretty quickly. Another program was predicting that this could be the beginning of the end for Putin. We can only hope, and then hope he's not followed by someone who is equal or worse of a thug and bully. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Not the most eloquently put, but I agree...I think! lol

I don't eloquent very well, nor do I do politically correct very well. Trumps an idiot, many wouldn't feel that way if he would have just stopped with his Tweets. I have said that a hundred times, and continue to stand by it, if he knew when to stop running those motor fingers he would have been garnered more respect. But, he did make people remember the USA is still capable of kicking ass if we want/have too.

As I understand it, these sanctions are targeted at a lower level of the Russian elite and they haven't gone after Putin directly.

But in general, if you take a billion away from a guy with three billion, it sucks, but life goes on. Take away thousands from a guy only earning thousands and you have a riot in the streets. The wealthy people that I know here are shrugging their shoulders at inflation. The people it's affecting most are calling for Biden's head. 

On another note, it doesn't matter if the Ghost of Kyiv is true or not. The story has done its job. The Ukraine could "win" this based on "propaganda" war. Putin has few admirers. Well ... Trump aside. 

The oil and NG issue I think is the one area where the west could have done better. Environmental reasons aside, in situations like this, we should have been prepared to stop buying oil and NG from Russia and we really haven't.

We arguably could have started unleashing increased access to both commodities in November/December and been very prepared to replace the supply chain to Europe, without trigger offsetting responses from the other producing countries that might have perceived it as a negative.

Russia has a GDP the size of Texas and it's heavily driven by those two commodities. That is a 20/20 hindsight assessment that really should be discussed. My guess is that the US would have had to time the handle being pulled just right because of the lack of storage infrastructure, but dang, even if it were off a bit, I still can't see not doing it.

7 hours ago, farmer 52 said:

John Kerry and his enviromental wacko followers believe their idiotic global warming agenda is most important at all times.Him and sleepy joe should share a room at the old-folks home.

This is next level commentary. They should give you your own show.

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

8 minutes ago, phade said:

The oil and NG issue I think is the one area where the west could have done better. Environmental reasons aside, in situations like this, we should have been prepared to stop buying oil and NG from Russia and we really haven't.

We arguably could have started unleashing increased access to both commodities in November/December and been very prepared to replace the supply chain to Europe, without trigger offsetting responses from the other producing countries that might have perceived it as a negative.

Russia has a GDP the size of Texas and it's heavily driven by those two commodities. That is a 20/20 hindsight assessment that really should be discussed. My guess is that the US would have had to time the handle being pulled just right because of the lack of storage infrastructure, but dang, even if it were off a bit, I still can't see not doing it.

I agree with all of this, there were definitely things that could have been done. Who knows the reasons why, but hindsight is 20/20. I don't know that anything would have kept Putin from going in other than a credible threat of all out war from NATO, but even then, I think everyone was rightfully worried that he'd call the bluff and we'd be in WW3 with nuclear powers. I believe Putin's motivations are power and some weird sense of rebuilding the "Motherland". I hope the latter is true, otherwise, the guy is just truly evil. 

It's just so hard to watch a gritty country battling for it's own existence all alone. However, the thought of engaging in all our war with Russia and likely China and NK is too awful even comprehend. I'm praying that Ukraine can hold out and make Putin pay by dissolving the Russian support for him and his war. 

Edited by Splitear
Addition

33 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I don't eloquent very well, nor do I do politically correct very well

Agreed lol

34 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I have said that a hundred times, and continue to stand by it, if he knew when to stop running those motor fingers he would have been garnered more respect. But, he did make people remember the USA is still capable of kicking ass if we want/have too.

And agreed again!!

35 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I don't eloquent very well, nor do I do politically correct very well. Trumps an idiot, many wouldn't feel that way if he would have just stopped with his Tweets. I have said that a hundred times, and continue to stand by it, if he knew when to stop running those motor fingers he would have been garnered more respect. But, he did make people remember the USA is still capable of kicking ass if we want/have too.

18 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

At best??  I hunted there last fall and they’re overrun with game. Well, small game. Didn’t get my moose. But I could envision a happy life in Canada. Can’t you? 

I could-A sportsman's paradise, aint it!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I diagree- he is an Autocrat and has nearly absolute power.  Remember: this guys been in power for over 20 years now; trust me, hes not goin anywhere anytime soon.

I don't know, from what I understand, he is no Stalin. The big guys in Russia (and those in the former USSR states) aren't scared of him. He's dependent on them, not the other way around. Again, this is purely my understanding, and I'm often wrong. 

Come on now Lefty: you wouldnt be bitchin if my Man wasnt in office right now and we were experiecning the same crazy inflationary prices??? Yeah you would- and then some!!! lol

Seriously dude, how does Trump's butt taste after licking it as much as you do?  And then you consider it an insult when I call some of you Trump apologists? LOL  If he was as great as you think he was he would have won the election by 30 million votes and there would have been NO arguments that the election was stolen from him.  That didn't happen though, so he's far from "the man" you think he is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Splitear said:

I don't know, from what I understand, he is no Stalin. The big guys in Russia (and those in the former USSR states) aren't scared of him. He's dependent on them, not the other way around. Again, this is purely my understanding, and I'm often wrong. 

Me too lol- mind me asking how you know this? Your source?? Would like to read more about his situation cuz, admittedly, I dont know alot about the Thug myself. 

Me too lol- mind me asking how you know this? Your source?? Would like to read more about his situation cuz, admittedly, I dont know alot about the Thug myself. 

It was on POTUS on SiriusXM yesterday while I was driving. I don't remember if it was before or after my 2:00 meeting, so it was either POTUS Mid-Day or Dan Abrams. They had some kind of Russia expert on. At this point with the wall to wall coverage of what's going on, it's kind of all blending together. I wish I had a source to send you, I'll see if maybe I can find at least who they had on.

If you have SiriusXM you can use the app to listen to yesterday's shows I guess. 

• Like 1