Deer in Huntington LI

NFA-ADK

I have a few people in Huntington who have spotted a deer, most recently by the starbucks on 110. With all the construction going on by the Northern state I am not surprised... I have heard of deer in Northport, yet that is not that far from Eatons neck which is filled with monster deer... I am pretty sure this deer came from Bethpage State park. I am not sure about shooting in a tournament this weekend due to rain so If I do not do the tourney I will try and find tracks or some other sign. Never though I would be tracking deer in my home town as they have not been around for 30+ years... Hopefully pics to follow... Just like tracking in the ADK some times you only have one set to follow...

I live in the village,Bordering Cold Spring Harbor. The deer are heading south out of caumsett state park,I had a 4ptr run through my back yard about 3 years ago.Their in the small woodlots around the CSH train station,a Huge 8 ptr got wacked by a car in front of the CSH train station last year,Hence a yellow deer caution sign now is in place there.

• Like 1

My buddy has found some huge sheds in Caumsett park, wish I could hunt over in that area or in Eatons neck, both places have many deer. I am not suprised they are moving south from that area. Just a little suprised they are by the train station, yet the fields close by could hold a few that is for sure...

Deerthug you have the best chair I have ever seen!!! Love that pic! I would think they came from Caumsett if they are in Oyster Bay. I believe that is how Caumsett was populated, from deer swiming across Huntington Bay from Eatons Neck. Then from thier to Oyster Bay through Cold Spring Harbor.

They are in Northport. I am going to check out west hills park, I have heard of one crossing Pidgion Hill road and other well lets say wierd area's. I am always a skeptic but this info usually comes from a person with little interest one way or another... I think you hit the nail on the head with that one Antlers! I just have not heard of them in that part of huntington in a long time, the West Hills Park area. Cool stuff, and amazing how they utilize "our" trail systems... I have hiked the 1st part of that trail by the boat ramp, great views and a challenging hike with my friends kids in tow...

I was told that during the demolition of the Huntington Townhouse and the temporary construction of the Lowes that the deer were fleeing the area and heading across Jericho. My wife has seen deer in Oyster Bay cove and our friends have spotted them as far west as Mill Neck.

They are on the Northern state Pky. Doe killed 2 weeks ago on East lane not sure of closest exit, West of Round Swamp Rd. I am told by a few local they have been in West Hills for a while so my 30 year estimate is way off... I did the shoot this morning so no scouting done. I am trying to get intouch with one of the park officials and a worker who hunts and I am sure has the inside scoop... Details to follow. I think Antlers is 100% right with the Green Belt Trail, makes scence with were they are being spotted... They never stop amazing me...

I heard of one by Suffolk Archers crossing Pidgion Hill Road and was in disbelieve yet I heard the story of them leaving that construcion area too soo possibly true... I am not surprised they are in Oyster bay due to them being in Loyd Neck and making that crossing or by land. Shame they get killed like that instead of good use...

After a long day of computer repair and listening to woman complain about multiple issues I needed a brake! So I headed off to the Green Belt Trail by Cold Spring Harbor with the intension of looking for tracks or any proof of deer. I ask at least 15 dif. "hikers" if they have ever seen or heard of deer on or around this trail. NOPE NO DEER HERE... (Not surpised as many hikers are not in tune to nature as they think, IMO.)

OK So I head in. To say it only took me 5 min would be a understatement. The first logical area I check out I jump a deer. I found what appeared to be fawn tracks on the way out... Not surprised for this time of the year. Did not take long to verify that area... I am going to check out Koster Park next chance I get and possibly check the fields by Oakwood Road. Funny how just seeing a deer makes my day, Esp when no other people on the trail even know they are thier and I jump one in less than a 5 min scout... So much food for deer in those woods, amazing. Made my day, next time I will bring the cam corder, this was spur of the moment... Hiking in Dockers and a collared shirt probably looks funny with everyone on the well worn trail dressed as hikers and me asking about deer probably raised some eyebrows so I made it short and sweet and thankfully successful! :bye:

• Like 1

They are definitely in Huntington, I have been to Caumsett park dozens of times and have seen them (only does and fawns so far) but have seen scrapes, hugh rubs and tracks...its my new secret shed antler spot, take the family out for some warm day hikes in February and March. Little do they know that i have an alterior motive.

Also here is a pic of a doe that was hit on ROund Swamp Road last summer about 100 yards south of Jericho Turnpike by the old Sun Ming restaurant. My sister saw and sent me the pic as i was leaving for work so i had to drive by myself and yup she was there.

I will post as soon as i figure out how gees

I heard of a 10 pt being hit and killed by a vehicle on Route 106 in front of Stop & Shop in Oyster Bay this past November. They are all coming out of the woodwork.

I live less than a mile from there. There was a deer hit in front of my market there, but I heard it was a doe, either way a deer was hit there. I live right by the Muttontown Preserve and Chelsea Mansion. There are at least 5 deer living in the preserve there. 2 years ago my wife saw a buck crossing Rte 106 near our house. I happened to be upstate deer hunting at the time. I saw a 4pt buck 2 years ago driving home from the Oyster Bay library. They will be spreading and eating some very nice and expensive plantings.

• Like 1

They are definitely in Huntington, I have been to Caumsett park dozens of times and have seen them (only does and fawns so far) but have seen scrapes, hugh rubs and tracks...its my new secret shed antler spot, take the family out for some warm day hikes in February and March. Little do they know that i have an alterior motive.

Also here is a pic of a doe that was hit on ROund Swamp Road last summer about 100 yards south of Jericho Turnpike by the old Sun Ming restaurant. My sister saw and sent me the pic as i was leaving for work so i had to drive by myself and yup she was there.

I will post as soon as i figure out how gees

My buddy the milk man does that in Caumsett and finds nice sheds Im told. Caumsett is a great excuse for shed hunting! Round swamp borders west hills wich I am told has deer. I wonder what the populations like. Makes me wonder if it is out of balance with no predation and prime food sources. Are these deer getting pushed out due to over population? I will get in thier soon, I hope. Just need to make some time...

• 3 weeks later...

I live on West Hills Road bordering West Hills Park and have heard rumors about deer in the park for about a year or so. On May 21, 2012 at 9:28 am a big one walked right past my back door, ate some berries off a tree and strolled back towards the park. Haven't seen any since :( I will post a picture of it if someone tells me how. Thanks.

Wow he looks like a stud! Thank you so much for sharing!!! You made my day!!! I have been trying to get back into the park to just look at the deer,(and prove to myself they are thier) I love watching them!!! My co-workers hike in the park and tell me thier are NO deer in it!!! Thanks for the picture and proof they exist in that area!!! You rock!!! :fan: