Calibers and Decisions

Larry..I'd prefer a ULA too, even a plastic, stainless one...They are just pure quality.. And accuracy...

Will you buy me one ??.. hehehehe..

As far as single shots go, it's hard to find one more attractive than the Ruger #1, although they can be a little finicky to get to group well..

if I ever were to buy a SS it would probably be a #1, although I think the Remington Rolling Blocks are kind of cool too, in a 1870s kind of way..

Larry..I'd prefer a ULA too, even a plastic, stainless one...They are just pure quality.. And accuracy...

Will you buy me one ??.. hehehehe..

As far as single shots go, it's hard to find one more attractive than the Ruger #1, although they can be a little finicky to get to group well..

if I ever were to buy a SS it would probably be a #1, although I think the Remington Rolling Blocks are kind of cool too, in a 1870s kind of way..

When the big ship sails into my port, a ULA of any flavor is on its way to YOU!

I'd even buy you a #1 for those days you just NEED to handle some nice looking wood.

What calibers you thinking? (just in case) :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Damn Bushwack now my 30/30's not big enough? Good thing nobody told that buck last year.

I've shot many deer with the 30-30 meat. Eventually you'll loose one shot with it and then another and MAYBE at some point you will want a bigger cal. Meanwhile though I understand your pride in your rifle; I once felt the same way about my 30-30.

You know it's funny I was just thinking about getting new bolt action in .270.....now I'm rethinking this. Don't have any bear around and figured I had plenty of gun for whitetail.

I don't want to discourage you from buying another rifle, if you want to buy one...

Lord knows, I have MORE than I need..

But don't do it because you fear your 30-30 isn't enough gun for whitetails..

It has killed hundreds of thousands of deer CLEANLY, as well as many elk, moose, bears and other big critters.

If you put your bullets in the right place, it will do the job.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I would shoot what you feel comfortable with. A 100 grain sierra will kill a deer easily. I personally use a 25-06 with a 115 grain bullet. Most tell me it is too light for deer also. Put the bullet in the right place with any center fire and the deer is yours. The idea that you can make a poor shot with a bigger caliber and still have the deer seems a bit over confident to say the least. Practice a lot get good and fill your freezer. The only reason I carry a heavier caliber on occasion where I hunt is the fact we have bears there also. I would be sketchy with the 243 or 25-06 around those guys.

I agree with this 100%. 243 is plenty to kill a deer. NOTHING is more important then shot placement. NOTHING will make up for a poorly placed shot. What cal do you shoot better? If you're spot on with the 243, no need to change(IMHO). Howver, there is nothing wrong with shooting the heavier round, so long as you find the right load and practice to perfect accuracy.

As far as the power difference at long range between the two bullets.

243 Energy- you can find many you can find many loads that will maintain close to 1,000 ft/lbs out to 400 yards. IMO, 1,000 is the magic number for whitetail. So lets look at accuracy at 400 yard shot, since accuracy and shot placement is paramount.

243 rate of drop @ 400 yards- you can find those same loads will drop at 20 inches at 400 yards if zero'd in at 200 yards.

30-06 rate of drop @400 yards- you can find common loads that will drop 20-21 inches at yoo yards if zeroe'd at 200 yards.

So IMO i beleive that either round is perfectly suited for whitetail hunting. However, the bennifit of the 30-06 is that is more versatile. Should you decide to hunt larger game like bear, elk, mule deer, moose, then the 30-06 will continue to provide you with the energy needed to adequatly dispatch those animals.

BTW, i own a 30-0 and i don't own a 243, but i will be buying one this summer for my 12 year old son. Hope this helps.

The way components and reloading supply prices are going, there may come a day when the number of grains of powder will become a consideration for us reloaders. Some of these powder hogging cartridges may make us wish we hadn't been so extravagant on the caliber size selection.

Good deal. The 243 is also really great for women too.

Certainly not a mans gun though..........

We all know THAT, ya big PANSY..!!...

I think any guy who shoots a .243 is little LIGHT in the LOAFERS...<<grin>>..

We all know THAT, ya big PANSY..!!...

I think any guy who shoots a .243 is little LIGHT in the LOAFERS...<<grin>>..

About the ONLY thing the guy is light in........

Like a half sandwich short of a picnic?

>>grin<<

• 2 months later...

Encores and boring bolt actions pftth!!! You guys need a Remington 750 semi in

30-06 like i got. I can nock them down with the first round, gut them and hang'em up with 3 follow on shots all as fast as I can pull the trigger. :picknose::DuckHuntingSmiley:

:D  :hunter-smiley-face:

LOL. but considering the accuracy is for crap after the third round you might miss the 2700 FPS gutting opportunity altogether.  I love my old 7400, it was my Dad's.  Just too much metal on metal bearing surface in that design.  Accuracy is lost really quickly.  Goes from a 2" gun to a 4" gun very quickly.  The BAR system Browning uses is much better and accuracy is maintained.  I guess that's why one is $600 and the other is $1000.  

Remington semis??? No thanks.

Me neither... However, while I have always favored semi shotguns, I've never been a fan of semi rifles, unless it is a military classic like the Garand M1 or FAL L1A1....

However,  the semi Remingtons, despite thier faults, have been tremendously popular with deer hunters in the Adirondacks and in Maine,  Ontario and New Brunswick Canada...

As a group, it seems I see more Rem 740s, 742s and the more modern models ( 750 or whatever) than  than any other group of rifle.. Must be somebody thinks they are a pretty good choice for deer/bear/moose...

Edited by Pygmy

I helped a guy on another forum out with a mid-1950's Woodsmaster in 280 Rem.

I did the wood over, fixed up a nasty crack in the fore end and he cleaned up the metal a bit after I helped take it down to parts and reassembled it.

With a older serviceable scope it did 1 1/2" groups with Core-locs, fed and ejected flawless.

Pleasent to shoot.

All said I'd rather have a Sauer 303; but you need to add a zero to the end of a typical Remington used price. LOL

I hope the scope was an old El Paso Weaver....<<grin>>...

Just as an aside, my main MEAT GUN is a push feed Win Mod 70 in .280 Rem...

I've killed a lot of stuff, with it from  woodchucks to Alaskan bull moose, at ranges from point blank to 400 + yards...

On it's very BEST day, it might group  1.5" at 100 yards...Typical is somewhat larger than that..

I'd say that old Woodmaster shoots pretty good...

I hope the scope was an old El Paso Weaver....<<grin>>...

On it's very BEST day, it might group  1.5" at 100 yards...Typical is somewhat larger than that..

I'd say that old Woodmaster shoots pretty good...

Hmmmm.....honest don't remeber what the scope was; getting old.LOL

Owner shot an honest group. I did less than 2" without much fussing. Overall for a beat family heirloom, I'd take it. The fact that it was a 280 and not a vanilla 30-06 helps. LOL

Some before;

IMG_2126.jpg

Leeched the oil out of the wrist;

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/dinsdaleP/hvs/IMG_2065_zpsa1d546c9.jpg

And after;

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

I'm hoping that he saves up a bit for a reblue job, gunsmith I know will do it reasonable and nice.