FIRE!!!!!!!! Prevention (Dryer Vent Maintenance)

Lawdwaz

Today I got my wife to agree to give me her blessings in cleaning out some old games, toys and what not from the kids.  Granted these items haven't been used in 12+ years (as a guess based on my daughters age).  Old musty board games, action figures, etc etc all were bagged up and are already in the dumpster at my work.  Four or five large contractor bags plus some misc old household furnishings (not bizzy quality of course) are gone.  Seems a bit wasteful trashing things but all were well worn at the very least.  We saved a bunch though, some will be donated and others kept for future use.

So...........I looked at the dryer and thought "what an awesome job for a cold, windy February day".  The vent hasn't seen a lick of maintenance in 9 years so I pulled the dryer out, took the old metal (plastic vent hose is a code violation) flex vent line out and ran to the local hardware store.  $12 for a new 8' flex line and a couple feet of duct tape and we're back in business.

The metal flex line isn't much of a fire hazard compared to the plastic flex for obvious reasons but fire can still be a issue as lint builds up inside the hose.

Dryer fires are a real thing.  In my 30 years in the cleaning business we cleaned up after plenty of dryer fires and all were preventable.  It's an easy job for anyone here.  Don't take it for granted.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Today I got my wife to agree to give me her blessings in cleaning out some old games, toys and what not from the kids.  Granted these items haven't been used in 12+ years (as a guess based on my daughters age).  Old musty board games, action figures, etc etc all were bagged up and are already in the dumpster at my work.  Four or five large contractor bags plus some misc old household furnishings (not bizzy quality of course) are gone.  Seems a bit wasteful trashing things but all were well worn at the very least.  We saved a bunch though, some will be donated and others kept for future use.

So...........I looked at the dryer and thought "what an awesome job for a cold, windy February day".  The vent hasn't seen a lick of maintenance in 9 years so I pulled the dryer out, took the old metal (plastic vent hose is a code violation) flex vent line out and ran to the local hardware store.  $12 for a new 8' flex line and a couple feet of duct tape and we're back in business.

The metal flex line isn't much of a fire hazard compared to the plastic flex for obvious reasons but fire can still be a issue as lint builds up inside the hose.

Dryer fires are a real thing.  In my 30 years in the cleaning business we cleaned up after plenty of dryer fires and all were preventable.  It's an easy job for anyone here.  Don't take it for granted.

Wtf you want to put us out if business ?  First people stopped smoking in bed, then smoke alarms came along ow this .

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

My dad is an ole retired National fuel serviceman......metal or plastic flex was a no no for him. Any apartment I ever moved into and the two houses I have owned we swaped out anything that wasnt hard piped instantly.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Serviceman huh ?Thats quite the gig I hear .

I’d like to come up with a way to recycle dryer lint into something useable.    What I don’t know but it seems like a waste of a useful product.   

Dryer lint makes for a great fire starter for outdoor fires. Save empty toilet paper rolls, lightly pack the lint in the roll. But the roll down as the base and stack kindling on it. Light and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Paula said:

Wait, explain to me what is a fire Hazzard. What vent and what hose? 

Do you (I hope you do!) have a vent pipe/flex line of metal or plastic coming out the back of your dryer?  It should be vented to the exterior of your home.  There is at least one other system that vents into a plastic bucket I think with water in it?

Either way, dryer lint is highly flammable and a gas dryer has a large flame that heats the air to dry your drawers.  An electric dryer has an element of some sort that heats up cherry red to dry said drawers.  Both can cause built up lint in the exhaust vent that hasn't come out in your dryers lint trap to catch on fire, resulting in a bunch of fire fighters to come to your home ASAP.

What ya got there Paula??  We're here to help.......

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Do you (I hope you do!) have a vent pipe/flex line of metal or plastic coming out the back of your dryer?  It should be vented to the exterior of your home.  There is at least one other system that vents into a plastic bucket I think with water in it?

Either way, dryer lint is highly flammable and a gas dryer has a large flame that heats the air to dry your drawers.  An electric dryer has an element of some sort that heats up cherry red to dry said drawers.  Both can cause built up lint in the exhaust vent that hasn't come out in your dryers lint trap to catch on fire, resulting in a bunch of fire fighters to come to your home ASAP.

What ya got there Paula??  We're here to help.......

You cannot use the water lint trap for gas dryers .Electric only .

18 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’d like to come up with a way to recycle dryer lint into something useable.    What I don’t know but it seems like a waste of a useful product.   

Melt wax into it , that makes a great fire starter .

Ok funny story kinda. We get a call for a dryer fire right up the rd for our firehouse . Get there THE Fire Chief is there as he was on his way home, the Chief does not normally go to fires . He says “ Larry it’s straight up those stairs .”

So we go up it’s the 3rd floor of a larger wood frame old city house , we’re alone now as the other houses have farther to respond from   . Me and my irons guy put out the drier, I go over the air,” we got it knocked down Chief ,” he replies “ I don’t think you do …”

I stick my head out the window look up , and smoke is puffing good out of the attic . Now the other companies are with us , and we have to pull a lot of ceiling as it’s rolling in the attic . Owner had it vented into the attic and the fire went right up the vent like a chimney .

Couple years later at PT, first day the gal sees my job and says her apartment had a fire…. 

Edited by Nomad
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Melt wax into it , that makes a great fire starter .

I’m fully aware of the fire starter route.   I’m talking something big, real BIG.   Like knitting clothing for refugees or something.   Maybe making parkas for dogs?

Big money stuff…….. :)