FIRE!!!!!!!! Prevention (Dryer Vent Maintenance)

Lawdwaz

21 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’m fully aware of the fire starter route.   I’m talking something big, real BIG.   Like knitting clothing for refugees or something.   Maybe making parkas for dogs?

Big money stuff…….. :)

Like a nice warm pair of hunting socks!!

• Haha 1

I’m fully aware of the fire starter route.   I’m talking something big, real BIG.   Like knitting clothing for refugees or something.   Maybe making parkas for dogs?

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Big you say ? How’s a bout a ghilli suit for a Moog ?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ok funny story kinda.

One of the places we just stayed in Mexico was configured main house > pool/yard > bedroom casita. I was in the main house making coffee on the first morning when my wife burst in and yelled, "The casita is on fire!"

I ran back thinking it's made of concrete, steel and glass and there's nothing flammable, but when I got there I could definitely smell smoke. Looked around the side and there was black smoke coming out of the back of the roof. I had no idea how to call 911 and wanted to figure it out before I yelled for a neighbour so I grabbed a ladder and climbed up. The smoke seemed to be behind the building. I walk over and look down to see the neighbour cooking tortillas on a flat grill at the back of his property. 

They were good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, left field said:

One of the places we just stayed in Mexico was configured main house > pool/yard > bedroom casita. I was in the main house making coffee on the first morning when my wife burst in and yelled, "The casita is on fire!"

I ran back thinking it's made of concrete, steel and glass and there's nothing flammable, but when I got there I could definitely smell smoke. Looked around the side and there was black smoke coming out of the back of the roof. I had no idea how to call 911 and wanted to figure it out before I yelled for a neighbour so I grabbed a ladder and climbed up. The smoke seemed to be behind the building. I walk over and look down to see the neighbour cooking tortillas on a flat grill at the back of his property. 

They were good.

I couldn’t possibly count the number of “ fires “ I went to that were grills .

In the city people put them on porches, pour a ton of lighter fluid on it, and some one across or down the street sees the flames. Every once in awhile you get lucky and it starts the porch on fire .

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I couldn’t possibly count the number of “ fires “ I went to that were grills .

In the city people put them on porches, pour a ton of lighter fluid on it, and some one across or down the street sees the flames. Every once in awhile you get lucky and it starts the porch on fire .

ServiceMaster (I owned a franchise for 30 years) had a saying "we don't pray for your misfortune, we pray that if you DO have misfortune, you call us". 

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give an update on my fire Hazzard! 

I put a post up on FB to find someone to clean the lint and do a couple other things. 

After a few days someone did respond and I had her over. Told her what I wanted, she said I will be back tomorrow with her son. I wanted to know price first. She said she was paying it forward and didn't charge me. 

She said it was bad and I was very lucky no fire. She still wouldn't take money, I gave her son a new Harley Davidson jacket i didn't like. He was beyond thrilled

Edited by Paula
  • Like 8

41 minutes ago, Paula said:

Thought I would give an update on my fire Hazzard! 

I put a post up on FB to find someone to clean the lint and do a couple other things. 

After a few days someone did respond and I had her over. Told her what I wanted, she said I will be back tomorrow with her son. I wanted to know price first. She said she was paying it forward and didn't charge me. 

She said it was bad and I was very lucky no fire. She still wouldn't take money, I gave her son a new Harley Davidson jacket i didn't like. He was beyond thrilled

Wow, I guess that worked out good for you.   Good to hear….

10 minutes ago, BizCT said:

We clean the pull out filter before each dryer cycle and get the dryer vent cleaned out when we get all the ducts (a/c & heat) cleaned every few years.

You absolutely don’t need to clean your hvac duct system that often.  Buy a high quality furnace filter and skip the duct cleaning.   

Your dryer vent maintenance is best done yourself if you are capable.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BizCT said:

We clean the pull out filter before each dryer cycle and get the dryer vent cleaned out when we get all the ducts (a/c & heat) cleaned every few years.

Most people clean lint from dryer ever use. My build up was in back of dryer and the hose to outside.

She was very nice offered to come back in a yr

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

You absolutely don’t need to clean your hvac duct system that often.  Buy a high quality furnace filter and skip the duct cleaning.   

Your dryer vent maintenance is best done yourself if you are capable.   

Well I should have caveated it with construction debris. If you aren’t having home renovations done or have pets I’m sure you can more than a few years. This was my before and after a few weeks ago.

53220116a935afe86785e0932817aec6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro