Federal Marksmen to Use Shotguns and Night Vision to Cull 180 Deer on Long Island

Grouse

Officials hope the effort will effectively mitigate the impact of the area’s abundant deer population.

Federal officials will conduct the cull during the evenings. They will shoot from stationary ground blinds and focus their efforts on the winter months because there’s less foliage to obstruct shooting lanes. They can utilize tools that are typically forbidden to recreational hunters, such as thermal imagery equipment and baiting. 

Deer culls have been conducted on Long Island for about 20 years and have proven to be a relatively low-cost method of wildlife management in the largely suburban area. Last year’s culling effort cost $46,231.

• Like 1

Where does the meat go ?  Sending it over to Poland to feed Ukrainian refugees would be a good idea.  Our Governor could win some international browny points and set herself up for a 2024 Presidential run.  

That would clear the way for a Republican governor here in NY, just like happened in Arkansas, when they exported Clinton to DC.  NY venison is such a valuable commodity, that it could tip the international balance of power.  An added bonus, is that the antlers should be dropped by now, so that bucks and does will be equally represented with the humanitarian aid shipments.

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

It’s too late to get archers involved.   Not enough public land.   Low success rate for archers (xbow included). Fetuses will be running rampant and sharp shooters don’t talk.  

Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave……

• Like 2

There are a few culls that are not mentioned here or in that article. I have 630 acres of "you can't go in there" woods behind my house. Meanwhile I hear the rangers popping off rounds all season every year. They use guns when we can't. There is a cull going on in there and I have seen the deer population drop. That's all well and good but I would sacrifice Mrs. Squirrel for the opportunity to hunt in there. Just kidding of course (at least most of the time). I have seen MONSTER bucks in my yard and I cannot take them. Pisses me off!!!! Me and other hunters I know would do this for free and not break any of the rules. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They use to have off duty cops do thin in Irondequoit . It was a bait and shoot in a few areas . It cost the taxpayers several thousand dollars . The town stopped doing this . They had archers sign up that passed a certification and allowed the archers to hunt during certain hours in specific areas . Archers were assigned a place where they could set up .

• Like 4

23 hours ago, fasteddie said:

They use to have off duty cops do thin in Irondequoit . It was a bait and shoot in a few areas . It cost the taxpayers several thousand dollars . The town stopped doing this . They had archers sign up that passed a certification and allowed the archers to hunt during certain hours in specific areas . Archers were assigned a place where they could set up .

I hear its a pain to get in the Durand Park hunt, cant move from the assigned spot & after the shot the archer has to call the designated officer to help track n recover.

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I hear its a pain to get in the Durand Park hunt, cant move from the assigned spot & after the shot the archer has to call the designated officer to help track n recover.

One of my daughter's lives in West Irondequoit . I almost always see deer when I go there . My other daughter lives in East Irondequoit . She has a hard time keeping the deer out of her garden and grapes . She has one of those doorbell things on her front door and gets several pictures of deer with it .

• Like 1