Can’t take it anymore

Swamp_bucks

14 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

I feel sorry for you folks up there. I have both Florida and Georgia carry licenses. Easy to get. Now, here in Georgia, they have introduced legislation to make permit less carry the law. That will be great.

I went to the dmv in Mississippi. Fingerprinted there and had my carry permit in the mail in about the same time it takes to get your new drivers license in the mail. Oh and this was just to carry. Having pistols in MS was perfectly legal without any paperwork so long as they were in your home or car. 

Sometimes New Yorkers don't realize how bad we have it, even when we think we do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Waterfowler said:

That’s correct: sold the LCP pretty quick. The S/W has better sights, locks back after last shot, better trigger and less finicky to ammo. Also not just my personal experience but many coworkers 

those issues you point out are legit, but I never felt the lcp was unreliable. It was exactly what I expected out of a sub $400 pocket gun. fwiw, I have only shot winchester target loads and hornady critical defense and it seems to like them both without a jam.

3 hours ago, sbuff said:

Good luck .

In my opinion lasers are over rated and not needed , do they look cool and fancy  sure. But if your ever in a situation where you actually need to use  ( I hope you're never in that situation ) your going to be upclose and personnel . Your going to aim for the largest part of the target you can hit not right between the eyes with laser sight.  Only my two cents not looking to upset anyone .

I just got my Utah ccw, I think that offers a few more states then Florida but I could be mistaken. 

It took me 25 years and three tries to get full carry in Albany  Co. I think my first judge told me he didn't need a reason to deny me full carry . 

All in all long process but worth the accomplishment in the end .

lasers are for sure not needed, but they're also relatively cheap. I've practiced various methods with them at the range and given how poor the sites are on most pocket pistols and given that you're most likely using it in under 15' the laser is nice if you're just trying to point and land some deterring body shots, versus like you mentioned trying to shoot the wing off a nat. 

Pretty much everyone I know with an LCP, myself included, use a Houge Handall grip sleeve and swap out the spring, for a Wolff 13# spring . It’s a pretty good improvement for perceived recoil .

78592ADA-A0CA-4F29-B800-1D8064354050.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Must be in certain counties you do. Bc I had to the last time i bought one back in 2014. 5yr recertification. 

Yes recertification is every five years but you are still able to buy one. Just add that along with all others when you do the recertification and list your pistols on the recertification. Recertification is through the state police. County has nothing to do with the recertification. If you did recertification in 2014 you would have had to do it in 2019 so you should be good until 2024 if I added the years up correctly 

Edited by boo711

7 minutes ago, boo711 said:

Yes recertification is every five years but you are still able to buy one. Just add that along with all others when you do the recertification and list your pistols on the recertification. Recertification is through the state police. County has nothing to do with the recertification. If you did recertification in 2014 you would have had to do it in 2019 so you should be good until 2024 if I added the years up correctly 

I think he may mean the Brady check ? As there was no NYS Police 5 yr recertification in 2014 . Any issued on or before 2013 had to recert for the first time in 2018 .

There have been times where I didn’t add a new gun in over five years ,so I had to have a new Brady check, back then .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I think he may mean the Brady check ? As there was no NYS Police 5 yr recertification in 2014 . Any issued on or before 2013 had to recert for the first time in 2018 .

There have been times where I didn’t add a new gun in over five years ,so I had to have a new Brady check, back then .

I must have misunderstood then. Recertification has nothing to do with buying or how long it has been since you last bought one since you go through a background check whenever you buy. I think I’m still confused. Lol

3 hours ago, boo711 said:

I must have misunderstood then. Recertification has nothing to do with buying or how long it has been since you last bought one since you go through a background check whenever you buy. I think I’m still confused. Lol

Well, I am confused as well.

I first got my Permit in February of 2009.. Put a couple handguns on my permit shortly after.. Then in 2014 i went to buy my next handgun and the gun shop would not let me take the gun home even though paid for, until i had went and re certified or "however its called" at the County Clerk, as my first 5 years had just expired a few weeks earlier. It took about 3 weeks of time and i went back down and brought the handgun home.

I have yet to do anything since that date so in my experience i will have to do another check to apply any handgun to my permit. Unless I'm wrong.. 

4 hours ago, Nomad said:

Could be, I am not up on my terminologies with NY and its "Safe Precautions" lol .. if i recall it was five years since anything was added to my permit as you speak.. and if thats the case every 5 years of nothing being added, I may have to get "checked" again? since March 2014 was the last i added a handgun.   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Well, I am confused as well.

I first got my Permit in February of 2009.. Put a couple handguns on my permit shortly after.. Then in 2014 i went to buy my next handgun and the gun shop would not let me take the gun home even though paid for, until i had went and re certified or "however its called" at the County Clerk, as my first 5 years had just expired a few weeks earlier. It took about 3 weeks of time and i went back down and brought the handgun home.

I have yet to do anything since that date so in my experience i will have to do another check to apply any handgun to my permit. Unless I'm wrong.. 

When I bought my pistols I paid for them but the dealer held gun until I went to the sheriffs dept and had it added to my permit. No one ever said anything about the recertification. My apologies for confusing you.  I misunderstood somewhere along the lines. Lol. 

I have a Ruger LCP .380 with a red Lazer. It's pretty small . Hard to see the red dot during the day time . If someone accosted me , I would hope it would be at dusk . Bought an extra magazine for it and loaded one with hollow points.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, boo711 said:

When I bought my pistols I paid for them but the dealer held gun until I went to the sheriffs dept and had it added to my permit. No one ever said anything about the recertification. My apologies for confusing you.  I misunderstood somewhere along the lines. Lol. 

My co worker just went yesterday and he had to do another background check as well? he didnt buy or add any new handgun to his permit? 

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

My co worker just went yesterday and he had to do another background check as well? he didnt buy or add any new handgun to his permit? 

Interesting. I’m in the market for a new pistol in the next couple weeks. I’ll see if anything changes in the process this time. It’s been a while since I bought my last gun. I know my certification is good for a couple years

Edited by boo711

9 minutes ago, boo711 said:

Interesting. I’m in the market for a new pistol in the next couple weeks. I’ll see if anything changes in the process this time. It’s been a while since I bought my last gun. I know my certification is good for a couple years

Yea, Id like to pick up a cheaper carry and see what they say to mine, I have to change my address anyways. 

On 3/1/2022 at 6:41 AM, Moho81 said:

I like the bodyguard but can’t compare it to the LCP because I’ve never fired one. For it size the bodyguard fairly accurate and has fed any ammo I gave it. I have medium sized hands and it fits good other than my pinky running out of room.

If i could change one thing it would would be the trigger pull. It’s pretty heavy. I’m sure it can be done I’ve just never looked into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't do anything to the trigger if you are going to be carrying the gun.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:42 AM, CapDistPatriot said:

I wouldn't do anything to the trigger if you are going to be carrying the gun.

Valid point. I wouldn't want to make it a very light trigger but lighter than the 9.5-12 pound pull it's at now depending on what gun review you want to believe. It's also a very long pull which took some getting use to. 

My wife has her appointment for finger prints on Friday. She took the class in the summer of 2020 when putting in new applications was even more of a hassle because of COVID and the county office was essentially shut down. I told her this year the only thing I want for my birthday is for her to turn in her application. 

She will never carry and will only shoot once or twice a year for fun but I'd rather have her have her permit and have my pistols on her permit as long as they are going to be in the house anyways. 

• Like 4

I pick up paperwork for my wife and I pistol permit yesterday at clerks office. We filled out everything now just got to get our references. Wife is going to set us up for fingerprints when she gets home. We got our references just a matter of getting on same page as people to meet up and get it done. Can't wait to get it submitted. It'll be a wait though Clinton county is six month waiting period depending on who get your paperwork.

• Like 1