Last meal....

Robhuntandfish

56 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

When my Dad couldn't really hunt anymore he stayed at camp and made dinner. My brother and I hiked about 10 miles in the dacks hunting. We got back to camp and he made venison stew with wild mushrooms he picked earlier in the fall all on the wood stove. It was the best meal I've ever had.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

this reminds me of the creamed corn stew my grandma always makes on opening day or my mom's lasagna after sledding all day outside. Sometimes it's the activity that gets you so hungry that the food doesn't even matter haha.

• Like 1

Not to side bar the original thread, but what have you always craved after being in the backwoods/ away from home, etc. for a week? We are always craving 1) milk, 2) a good salad, 3) Pizza.

Venison meatloaf, wedge of hard cheese and sausage with a little sniff of whiskey or blackberry brandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

I eat a Bastille Day menu with all the various wines to go with each course.  That meal starts in morning and goes late into night.

Wolc

I worked near the Genny plant for 25 years.  I knew what they were making and what stage in was in by the smell as I drove passed. 

Genny Light????  :stink:

Well, at least it wasn't Genny Cream

The last few years, the only time I have got away for over a week of hunting, was up in the Adirondacks for early ML and opening weekend of gun.   My “hosts” only stock “fancy beers”.

I find the Modelo negra’s and/or Dosequis especial’s the most tolerable of those, but by the end of the trip, I am always craving the cool, crisp, and refreshing taste of a Genny light.  

I always eat well up there, because my mother in law is a phenomenal cook.  She don’t do the stuffed cabbage, like my wife makes at home though.  That was always one of my favorites.  My wife makes it even better than my mom does, because she uses ground venison.   I greatly prefer that over ground beef.  

With absolutely no doubt, there is nothing I like more, to eat and drink when I get home from 9 days up north, than a big plate of venison-stuffed cabbage and a Genny light. 

I like Genny cream also, and always keep some in stock, but that is too filling to have with a big plate of stuffed cabbage.

Here is what’s in my fridge right now, well stocked with 5 of my favorites:

52C60562-4709-4406-AF71-0DD29F4A0F53.thumb.jpeg.fdd56fe888b0f9e26aa9a34ba7e4a407.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

Wolc

Other than the 12 Horse you will never need to worry about me stealing a beer from your cooler.  But I was raised on Genny products to overdose.  What no Ice beer.  You need it for the collection

The Black Beer Genny makes is decent when they make it.  An Old-time beer they made but no more was Fyfe and Drum.  I have no idea why they no longer do.   The Genny brewery big product is clear malt.  You will see trucks of corn syrup hooking up all day.  They used to be one of the largest contract brewers for Sam Adams util American Breweries took over Genny and considered SA the enemy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

find the Modelo negra’s and/or Dosequis especial’s the most tolerable of those, but by the end of the trip, I am always craving the cool, crisp, and refreshing taste of a Genny light.  

I’d be pissed too, those are far from fancy beers .

• Like 1

My favorite meal of the year by far, is Thanksgiving. My last meal request would be a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Including candied yams with marshmellow topping. For desert, at least three different pies. All cooked by my beautiful bride, as she is absolutely the best the best cook and baker I've ever known. And to have all the family and friends, lost over the years, sitting at the table with us.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Not sure what I would want. Maybe alittle bit of all of the stuff  mentioned lolol

I keep changing my mind with all that is listed. 

I will say all my manners would be out the window for my last meal, no utensils or napkins. Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, grampy said:

My favorite meal of the year by far, is Thanksgiving. My last meal request would be a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Including candied yams with marshmellow topping. For desert, at least three different pies. All cooked by my beautiful bride, as she is absolutely the best the best cook and baker I've ever known. And to have all the family and friends, lost over the years, sitting at the table with us.

I enjoyed my Thanksgiving meal more than ever last year.  I don’t care much for turkey, or any other white-meated bird (except ruffed grouse).  We hosted for the extended family and I talked my wife into stuffing a second turkey with a button buck roast.  That was the best of those that I have ever had.  It came out perfectly cooked, medium-rare all the way thru, with the temp measuring 165 F with a meat thermometer.   

Other years, I always liked the sides a lot better than the meat, but not last year.  The sides were very good last year also.  

0493E2E1-6D38-4215-ACE5-6191C1D04DD1.jpeg

4 hours ago, grampy said:

I love food, so it's tough choice. I think a Thanksgiving meal that my GF makes is probably mine as well.. mmmm.

Turkey, potatoes , homemade stuffing, and gravy. Everything else just takes up too much stomach space..lol.

May even be better the next day warmed up in a frying pan.. Oh,  and don't forget homemade pumpkin pie with real wiped cream too!!

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

This is a tough one and all good choices!For me I'd have to say a nice dinner with glazed ham,smashed taters,green bean casserole w/brown sugar n bacon,gma's homemade coleslaw and dinner roles to mop it up.might aswell throw in a bottle of Evan Williams Kentucky cider and a 12pk of genny light if I'm going all in....!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I’m with you but I’m going to yasuda

I've been to Yasuda. Great meal, though I had to caution my companion to not ask for soy sauce and wasabi. 

There used to be a very small Japanese restaurant called Sushi Inoue, across the street from me in Harlem. They were awarded a Michelin Star in their second year. I would be the only Gaijin in the place among the Japanese men, sitting at the bar and eating whatever the chef prepared. Often I would just take it from his hand and pop it in my mouth. Great food. Closed now.