Heckling the President

my oldest is only in 3rd grade but i played basketball and must be times have changed because i was only yelled at by other kids in the stands, not parents.
But you did prove my point by agree that the experience sucks and that only shitty people act this way.

I work the clock for the HS basketball games: last week a mother was thrown out of the gym by the official on the court for cursing at him. She proceeded to flip off the student section and then the opposing parent section. Imagine how her son felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

That wasn't cool. I prefered the FU clap as that had some grace to it. Have there been Dems that heckled during a Rep president's SOTU?
Decorum, political or otherwise, is out the door. I am continually shocked by people's behavior in public. But I'm old and remember a better time.

I’m not old and remember a time when people’s behavior in public was much better.

• Like 2

Will members yelling at each other during the speech be the next stage? How soon before fisticuffs? Who has authority to have a member removed from a SOTU?

Years ago, I took my nephew to his first organized baseball game and there was a parent walking around with a sheet and asking other parents to sign a "good conduct" pledge. I said no thanks and she looked at me sideways. I explained, politely, that her sheet has no authority and if it was okay with her, I would just endeavour to conduct myself as a responsible adult.

I sat alone for most of the season.

• Like 1

I would be totally fine with something like this if it was featured live on CSPAN. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

Honestly though, I think that most of the Representatives and Senators do the quiet work of legislating and governing with decorum. Unfortunately the "grandstanders" are always featured in media, celebrated by the extremes and are fundraising magnets. It's a shame that these folks become the face of U.S. government. 

• Like 1

Just now, Splitear said:

I would be totally fine with something like this if it was featured live on CSPAN. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

Honestly though, I think that most of the Representatives and Senators do the quiet work of legislating and governing with decorum. Unfortunately the "grandstanders" are always featured in media, celebrated by the extremes and are fundraising magnets. It's a shame that these folks become the face of U.S. government. 

It's not just in the government, look at all the jackasses in sports, the more of an idiot you are, the more you are talked about...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, left field said:

Will members yelling at each other during the speech be the next stage? How soon before fisticuffs? Who has authority to have a member removed from a SOTU?

Years ago, I took my nephew to his first organized baseball game and there was a parent walking around with a sheet and asking other parents to sign a "good conduct" pledge. I said no thanks and she looked at me sideways. I explained, politely, that her sheet has no authority and if it was okay with her, I would just endeavour to conduct myself as a responsible adult.

I sat alone for most of the season.

They read one aloud before each game, a code of conduct for players and fans. I kneel during that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

When she heckled him, he wasn't lying about anything. He was actually talking about improving our VA benefits, which has bipartisan support. We all know that every politician on both sides will bring in war hero's and citizens to help their speeches, and him talking about better care for our vets and why it has a special place to him is not lying and is a horrible time to heckel. 

I agree with many that his exit from Afghanistan was horribly executed and cost lives, but this was very, very disrespectful and low-class. 

I agree; hence, the whole purpose for starting this thread.   Having said that, please keeep that in mind if/when A Republican successor wins the Presidency and is giving a speech.  Criticize all you want , but show respec-at least for the office!!!

• Like 2

In an idealistic  world we would all respect the office. Those in office would be the best and be beyond reproach.

The corruption in the swamp has destroyed the office . How low can we get when an intern is giving hummers to the comander in chief in the oval office . Where was the respect for the office then. 

Where was the respect when the hag from California ripped up the speach.

How many times did they boo and heckle  trump.

You get what you give .

I don't agree with cat calling and booing during the  sotu . But its the new norm for our politicians.  

Won't be long before its fist fights like in the UK  Parliament. 

• Like 2

In an idealistic  world we would all respect the office. Those in office would be the best and be beyond reproach.
The corruption in the swamp has destroyed the office . How low can we get when an intern is giving hummers to the comander in chief in the oval office . Where was the respect for the office then. 
Where was the respect when the hag from California ripped up the speach.
How many times did they boo and heckle  trump.
You get what you give .
 I don't agree with cat calling and booing during the  sotu . But its the new norm for our politicians.  
Won't be long before its fist fights like in the UK  Parliament. 

To think Clinton was the first “most powerful man in the world” to receive some favors may be a touch naive(not calling you naive nytacker). I think this change happened when the media started to become the whistle blower (sticking with the hummer theme!) of presidential activities as opposed to the ones that looked the other way. If Kennedy was around for the “Gotcha era” of media his legacy may have been different prior to his unfortunate demise.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, crappyice said:

To think Clinton was the first “most powerful man in the world” to receive some favors may be a touch naive(not calling you naive nytacker). I think this change happened when the media started to become the whistle blower (sticking with the hummer theme!) of presidential activities as opposed to the ones that looked the other way. If Kennedy was around for the “Gotcha era” of media his legacy may have been different prior to his unfortunate demise.

I'm sure slick willy was not the first ... that was just one example of a politician that has compromised  the high moral  standards of the office . Compromised the people's  respect for the office.  Like my grandfather said he might just as well have done it at St Patrick's  Cathedral. 

18 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

I agree; hence, the whole purpose for starting this thread.   Having said that, please keeep that in mind if/when A Republican successor wins the Presidency and is giving a speech.  Criticize all you want , but show respec-at least for the office!!!

like i said earlier, Nancy ripping up the speech was worse. No side is free from guilt on this topic.

• Like 1

So , this am , I read on the newsfeed that a couple of Republicans chose to heckle Biden during his speech last night ; these included Boebert from Colorado ( I think) and Marjorie Greene from GA . Now, I don’t know how bad it was cuz , in all candor , I didn’t watch the speech . But , apparently it was enough to be noticed . Now , everyone knows on here that I’m a Pretty conservative guy and support Republicans with regularity . Also , it should be pretty obvious I’m no fan of Biden and think he’s an awful President . But I do not like this . I think that - despite your personal feelings - you should always show your leader respect in public . I didn’t like it when the left constantly disrespected Trump and I don’t like it now when certain members on the right do the same thing to Biden. Criticize all you want - that fine !! Just don’t be disrespectful . I think these 2 ladies were wrong and should offer an apology to the Pres- just my take

This is par for the course for these two disgusting creatures. You can see many videos online of them behaving this way

12 hours ago, Belo said:

like i said earlier, Nancy ripping up the speech was worse. No side is free from guilt on this topic.

Agreed, but it's usually the Right that is told to take the "high road" by the Dems that keep making new strides to find out how low the low road can be, then chastising the Right for doing far less offensive acts.

Typical divisive behavior to cover up their inept leadership decisions that aren't going unnoticed by voters and will ultimately lead to their demise in Nov, no matter how hard they try to cover it up with negative over emphasized press releases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chef said:

This is par for the course for these two disgusting creatures. You can see many videos online of them behaving this way

Par for the course is the whole democratic side door doing the same shit to the last Republican president.  At least the only smart democrat sat on the correct side of the isle. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Agreed, but it's usually the Right that is told to take the "high road" by the Dems that keep making new strides to find out how low the low road can be, then chastising the Right for doing far less offensive acts.

Typical divisive behavior to cover up their inept leadership decisions that aren't going unnoticed by voters and will ultimately lead to their demise in Nov, no matter how hard they try to cover it up with negative over emphasized press releases.

Yes, I agree with this sentiment also.   I do believe that we, on the right should take the high road and model exemplary behavior, but it also frustrates me that there is a glaringly obvious different standard established by the media and the pundits.  I think it all boils down to the way the opposing sides view each other: we look at them as sanctimonous idiots whereas they view us as selfish and evil; therefore, they feel justified in treating us disrespectfully because "we deserve it anyway"  -  NOT!!!

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Yes, I agree with this sentiment also.   I do believe that we, on the right should take the high road and model exemplary behavior, but it also frustrates me that there is a glaringly obvious different standard established by the media and the pundits.  I think it all boils down to the way the opposing sides view each other: we look at them as sanctimonous idiots whereas they view us as selfish and evil; therefore, they feel justified in treating us disrespectfully because "we deserve it anyway"  -  NOT!!!

Good luck with that. To be fair, the Trump guy was deserving of heckling. Look at what his National Security advisor (a lifelong conservative and Republican) has disclosed. Trump really was Putin’s puppet. Stud, huh?

https://www.businessinsider.com/bolton-putin-waiting-for-trump-to-withdraw-from-nato-in-2nd-term-2022-3

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

14 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Good luck with that. To be fair, the Trump guy was deserving of heckling. Look at what his National Security advisor (a lifelong conservative and Republican) has disclosed. Trump really was Putin’s puppet. Stud, huh?

https://www.businessinsider.com/bolton-putin-waiting-for-trump-to-withdraw-from-nato-in-2nd-term-2022-3

You've just proved my point: Trump deserves heckling and disrespect , but Biden doesnt? And to me, This is a perfect example of why we can never achieve unity in this country!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Another op ed . Bolton opinions. In the end its more speculation as to what President Trump could have done  not what did happen . We did not withdraw from nato. 

Just now, Nytracker said:

Another op ed . Bolton opinions. In the end its more speculation as to what President Trump could have done  not what did happen . We did not withdraw from nato. 

Hey, this isn’t the primary sourcing I personally seek out but it’s leagues above what the folks on the fringes here share and easily digestible for them.
But I agree with you, it’s a good thing that we’re just left with first hand, on the record reports from Trump’s cabinet and advisors. This is much better than having to deal with the consequences of having Trump for 4 additional years.  Good riddance. 

You've just proved my point: Trump deserves heckling and disrespect , but Biden doesnt? And to me, This is a perfect example of why we can never achieve unity in this country!!

I will say that they other really suck. I will also say there is a huge difference in ripping up a speech after it is completed VS being disruptive during a speech. I think even a child can figure that out.

Also I don’t know how a rational adult doesn’t find the article Versitile shared to be extremely disturbing if true. Did Trump have some valid points about our NATO allies not paying their fair share 100%
Would withdrawal from NATO be a disaster for our national security absolutely.

This sums up by biggest issue with trump BTW. Generally starts out with a good thought and then the solution goes off the rails. There is no tact with him. It’s a bull in a China shop, it’s why he has so many bankruptcy’s. With that strategy it’s either great success or extreme failure. That’s fine in his personal life. Not for our country

8 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

One of many reasons. I too fear that America will never return to its preTrump glory. But get real, does decorum actually apply to the president that did everything to undermine it. The president who encouraged an insurrection against the very system he presided over?