American Freedom Convoy....

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I didn't think anything was happening until this weekend.

I read they were planning on a big protest for the SOTU, but it fizzled. Regardless, I wish them the best, they have every right in the world to protest. 

13 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I read they were planning on a big protest for the SOTU, but it fizzled. Regardless, I wish them the best, they have every right in the world to protest. 

I agree, also glad i won't be there trying to get around....lol

24 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Hopefully it's a better showing than Tuesday. I kind of felt bad for it. 

https://news.yahoo.com/trucker-convoy-protest-washington-dc-153958163.html

other than masks on a plane there really isn't anything mandate related to protest against anymore. I know there are issues here and there, but generally life is back to normal, even in NY.

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I agree, also glad i won't be there trying to get around....lol

That town is a nightmare without all of that stuff going on. We used to take kids down to the National 4-H Center (it's since sold) in Chevy Chase, MD and drive in on a tour bus. They literally switch lanes of traffic throughout the day, so lanes that go towards the city in the morning switch direction in the evening. I've never driven there, only ridden, and taken the subway from Alexandria when I visited on my own once. 

10 minutes ago, virgil said:

What are they supposed to be protesting?

I'd say it's just people with grievances who want to feel heard, I don't see an issue. My wife went to the Women's March, and even though there wasn't really a "goal" she felt really empowered and happy that she went. More power to them, it's one of the beauties of this country. 

Just now, Splitear said:

I'd say it's just people with grievances who want to feel heard, I don't see an issue. My wife went to the Women's March, and even though there wasn't really a "goal" she felt really empowered and happy that she went. More power to them, it's one of the beauties of this country. 

but their grievances are mostly repealed at this point. They should have done this months or even a year ago.

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

but their grievances are mostly repealed at this point. They should have done this months or even a year ago.

Fair enough, but emotions are emotions. If they feel like they want to make some noise and be heard, I don't see an issue with it if they are playing by the rules. 

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

Fair enough, but emotions are emotions. If they feel like they want to make some noise and be heard, I don't see an issue with it if they are playing by the rules. 

I don't either, but lets parallel this with BLM. That movement had support, people really felt strongly about it and so socially it was backed by many as they felt it would lead to change. Change they felt was needed. Now we can all discuss for days about how some cities handled it and when peaceful turned to looting and rioting, but that's a separate issue.

With these truckers, you may have a bunch of people disrupting traffic and causing issues for issues that are no longer issues. So you're mad about something that happened and you want... you want what? This isn't the same as it is/was in Canada. They had backing because they were protesting current regulations. This group will have little to no public support because it doesn't make sense. 

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

I don't either, but lets parallel this with BLM. That movement had support, people really felt strongly about it and so socially it was backed by many as they felt it would lead to change. Change they felt was needed. Now we can all discuss for days about how some cities handled it and when peaceful turned to looting and rioting, but that's a separate issue.

With these truckers, you may have a bunch of people disrupting traffic and causing issues for issues that are no longer issues. So you're mad about something that happened and you want... you want what? This isn't the same as it is/was in Canada. They had backing because they were protesting current regulations. This group will have little to no public support because it doesn't make sense. 

I think they have permits and agreements in place, so go for it. If they go beyond that and become a nuisance or danger to the community, that's a different story, but ultimately, that hasn't happened, so those issues are purely conjecture at this point. I feel the same way about the BLM protests, I'm all for them demonstrating for the change they want, when it goes beyond what is permitted and becomes a danger to the community, then it goes too far, and in my opinion, starts working against the goals of the protest. I'm not going to judge anyone's goals or grievances, they are their own. 

https://www.newsweek.com/how-freedom-convoy-getting-dc-route-timeline-1681385

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, virgil said:

What are they supposed to be protesting?

Moscow Mules, I hope.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Saving up for gas?

7 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Maybe they’re gonna articulate that through the protests ; guess we’ll see :) 

My speculation is that the articulation will come from an fervent ejaculation of the reticulation of inoculation rules lest they lead to society's emasculation and disarticulation. But that could be a miscalculation or overspeculation on my part and I may need a recalculation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Splitear said:

No idea, but they can protest for whatever they want, it’s their right. 

I'm sure we all agree that it is their right.  But, what is their purpose- that is the question.  A protest without a purpose is absurd.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, virgil said:

I'm sure we all agree that it is their right.  But, what is their purpose- that is the question.  A protest without a purpose is absurd.

I'll agree with that, but hey, they're the ones spending their time and money, so they can protest their little hearts out for all I care, I'm not gonna judge. 

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

No idea, but they can protest for whatever they want, it’s their right. 

we're not arguing over that. Sure I can get a permit to hold a protest in the town square because I want to argue the sky isn't blue. On that we agree.

What I'm saying is that this protest doesn't make any sense as I'm not sure what they're protesting and probably nobody else will either. Their protest is hurting the overall issue we had months ago, similar to how lighting buildings on fire hurt BLM. 

1 hour ago, Just Lucky said:

There still are mandates. Federal employees,  healthcare workers.  It is about all Americans freedom of choice. I fully support the convoy

Private employers will always be able to require whatever the hell they want. The feds cannot change that, so the protest doesn't matter.

Do you not think healthcare workers are what these guys are so upset about? Do you think it makes sense to just completely abolish all healthcare restrictions?