Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

FYI per an email I got from NYCC:

Legislation pending in the Assembly and Senate, A1299 (Woerner) and S7747 (Mannion), would be a major step towards Full Inclusion of crossbows into the Archery Season. Changing the license requirement from muzzleloader privilege to bow privilege, allowing all Junior Archery holders, anyone 55 and older and those between 16 and 54 with doctor certified disability to use a crossbow during the entire archery season, including all archery only areas statewide.

Additionally, they remove the 17” min width and 200 lb. max weight restriction, turning over equipment specifications to the DEC and changing the discharge setback for crossbows from 250 ft to 150 ft as all other archery equipment. The current 10-day northern zone and 14-day southern zone crossbow are still intact for the 16 – 54 year-olds that do not qualify for a disability exemption. 

Although they do not achieve our ultimate goal of full inclusion, there are gains for everyone, especially with the width and draw weight restriction removals.
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

I hope it passes.  That will give me a great shot at filling all (7) of my tags this year.  I managed to fill (4) last season and each of those was a result of the new changes NY state made last year (early September gun season, restored Adirondack antlerless ML season, extra half hour past sunset of hunting time, and Holliday ML season).

There are still way too many deer in my area (9f) and lots of hungry folks that could really use the “free meat”, especially  with the hyper inflation with food prices that we are seeing right now.  It is great to see NY state “unshackling” us hunters so that we can help fix these problems (hungry people and too many deer).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I hope it passes.  That will give me a great shot at filling all (7) of my tags this year.  I managed to fill (4) last season and each of those was a result of the new changes NY state made last year (early September gun season, restored Adirondack antlerless ML season, extra half hour past sunset of hunting time, and Holliday ML season).

There are still way too many deer in my area (9f) and lots of hungry folks that could really use the “free meat”, especially  with the hyper inflation with food prices that we are seeing right now.  It is great to see NY state “unshackling” us hunters so that we can help fix these problems (hungry people and too many deer).

I guess the only way they can make it any easier is to kill the deer for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Just put them in gun season where they belong and be done with it already ,enough wasting resources over this nonsense.

That’s where they will be coming out of and put in the area where they should be. The area that use string and arrows to harvest Whitetails. Not gunpowder and lead.               But we all know people make that debate go on and on,  like the chicken or the egg. 

8 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

That’s where they will be coming out of and put in the area where they should be. The area that use string and arrows to harvest Whitetails. Not gunpowder and lead.               But we all know people make that debate go on and on,  like the chicken or the egg. 

They can stay with the other shoulder fired implements 

• Like 2

Crossbows are not guns nor compound bows and Compound bows are not traditional bows. If difficulty level is going to set the seasons time length per weapon. Then the only thing that makes sense is the DEC should push back compound bow season some and give the traditional guys a couple weeks alone in the woods.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Crossbows are not guns nor compound bows and Compound bows are not traditional bows. If difficulty level is going to set the seasons time length per weapon. Then the only thing that makes sense is the DEC should push back compound bow season some and give the traditional guys a couple weeks alone in the woods.

Exactly what I think.  Throw the cupcakes (compound users who oppose the crossbow) in with the crossbows and give the real bow hunters a break. 

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Exactly what I think.  Throw the cupcakes (compound users who oppose the crossbow) in with the crossbows and give the real bow hunters a break. 

It's a shoulder fired implement with a scope .No matter how you chose to spin it.  

I have  just discovered a new way I’m determining who I supply ammo to !

Over last two years , I’ve got ammo and primers( small pistol,and rifle ) , for many guys here, the gym, neighbors etc . One of the Buffalo guys is picking up some sabots ,from my daughter in Buffalo this week , I bought them she muled them back . Zero profit just enjoy helping guys out .

From this point on pro crossbow guys only , oh it’s not much but makes me smile . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just talked to my assemblyman earlier today. I coach his son in baseball. He told me it wasn’t in the budget and hopefully they can get it into the floor. Long Island Lobbyists are what is controlling the delay. They are fighting against it. 

• Like 1

I'm all for getting more hunters in the woods and if a crossbow will do that, then so be it.

After reading up on some of the stats in states that have allowed crossbow use during regular archery season, all of those states had an uptick in hunter participation and hunting license revenue.

Even the states that had minimum age restrictions.

A win win.

Maybe the states can also add on a special crossbow/compound bow user fee for the ability to hunt with them during the traditional stick bow archery season ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

The funny part is that you care how somebody else spends their time in the woods.  Anybody with a crossbow going to affect your life to extreme’s?

Just grab a bow and hunt archery season ,whats the big deal?

4 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

You know,I could give a Rats Ass about Deer Hunting. Same as many here feel about Turkey Hunting.

Buttt- I have pointed out before- my interest would Blossom so to speak if Crossbow opened on October  1st.

What you say- Nice Warm Weather to sit in the Fall woods on Unpressured  Public Deer. The same Bucks,I can almost Tackle during September  Hikes every year.

Sure- count me in. DEC F%$&÷! the Fall Turkey Season anyway back in 2015-- moving it from October  1st to way back around October  20th.

I go out every few years on the Rifle Deer opener. But Freezing in one spot just is not too fun. Rather be Hiking and keeping warm.

Probably  alot of Hunters like me out there. There would probably  be a whole new army of new Deer hunters out and about. More competition  . Regular Bow hunters probably  won't be pleased if this passed. Who needs competition  right??

You would have to first think that vertical bow guys are not top dog as far as hunting skills go , i hardly think a crossbow hunter is going to be any competition.  

Some decent point here Do agree that hay let guys with long bows and recurves have a shot at deer 1st season all there own this would make the compound guys made tho... but then there mad about xbows too... still havent heard a reason that really holds water at least for me not to allow xbow in archery.  rather hear the truth for some of the compound guys which is they just dont like and dont want more people in the woods.... i hunt with both compound and xbow... intresting note just saw a thing on  youtube a guy shot a compound and xbow at 100yards 5arrows each shot 5 times so 25 shots, no rest with x bow guess which scored better compound

26 minutes ago, land 1 said:

Some decent point here Do agree that hay let guys with long bows and recurves have a shot at deer 1st season all there own this would make the compound guys made tho... but then there mad about xbows too... still havent heard a reason that really holds water at least for me not to allow xbow in archery.  rather hear the truth for some of the compound guys which is they just dont like and dont want more people in the woods.... i hunt with both compound and xbow... intresting note just saw a thing on  youtube a guy shot a compound and xbow at 100yards 5arrows each shot 5 times so 25 shots, no rest with x bow guess which scored better compound

You would think the part about it being shoulder fired with a scope off a rest would be blatantly obvious as far as the differences, I guess it takes a trained eye to spot it.

• Like 1