Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

Some people are way too concerned with what others are doing.

I don't care what the guy on the next property uses, and even if I did, it's none of my business. 

Is it a different weapon? Yes. Is it more effective? I think so, sure. 

Do you have any right to control another person's hunt? Nope.

"I don't like it, so you can't use it" is not a valid argument.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

I do. And I grab the crossbow and hunt that archery season also. So your saying that someone else using something different than you on the same date really would not affect your day?

LOL, I'm not bored anymore . You guys can have your thread back .

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

LOL, I'm not bored anymore . You guys can have your thread back .

Prob best.  Your kinda weak in the ammo department to fight back with except the personal opinion that you don’t like them. Which is fine. That’s what’s nice about choices. When I want to archery hunt I have my choice of which string and arrow to kill with and when it’s gun season I have my choice of powder charges and bullet selection. Simple. 

• Like 2

It sounds like this is probably going to happen this year, and I am trying to figure out how I will roll it into my plans for the upcoming seasons.  

Most likely, I will get a lot more selective in what deer that I kill.  Having killed two button bucks, in less than a year, I have had my “fix” of them for a while, and should have plenty of that “choicest of meats” vacuum-sealed for a few years of “special occasions”.  I will hold out for mature does this year, in the early antlerless gun season, if they have it again.  Hopefully, that will reduce the stress on FSW and Belo a bit.  

Starting October 1, I will continue targeting mature does, and bucks with 4 points minimum on a side, with my crossbows in the southern zone.  

I will head to the northern zone as usual, for early ML weekend, targeting mature does and bucks with 3 points on a side minimum (a northern zone buck is twice as valuable to me as a southern zone one, so they don’t need as many points).  I will stay up there thru opening weekend of gun, looking for a buck with more than 3 on a side.  

Back down south, for the rest of archery thru end of Holliday ML season, I will again be after mature does and bucks with 4 or more points on a side.  Until New Year’s Day afternoon, when a single 3” antler is all that I will need, if I still have a buck tag. 

If all goes well, I could end up with (7) deer, probably keeping just (3) for my family (2 bucks and a northern zone doe), and donating any more to others (venison donation coalition and/or friends/extended family in need).  

I have been giving them money for a few years now, and it’s about time to give them some meat.

I have no desire to butcher a doe, because it takes me way too long to trim out all the fat.  I am not set up to butcher up north, so I don’t mind bringing one home from up there, that had been processed for me (plus they can deal with the ticks).  A northern zone doe is worth the same as a southern zone 8 point buck to me.   

Being able to hunt with a crossbow, starting October 1, should easily add 2 or 3 deer to my usual take.  If that’s what the DEC wants, then by golly, why should anyone oppose it ?  I mostly only hunt a grossly overpopulated area of the southern zone (wmu 9F), and a slightly overpopulated area of the northern zone  (6c&f). 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It sounds like this is probably going to happen this year, and I am trying to figure out how I will roll it into my plans for the upcoming seasons.  

Most likely, I will get a lot more selective in what deer that I kill.  Having killed two button bucks, in less than a year, I have had my “fix” of them for a while, and should have plenty of that “choicest of meats” vacuum-sealed for a few years of “special occasions”.  I will hold out for mature does this year, in the early antlerless gun season, if they have it again.  Hopefully, that will reduce the stress on FSW and Belo a bit.  

Starting October 1, I will continue targeting mature does, and bucks with 4 points minimum on a side, with my crossbows in the southern zone.  

I will head to the northern zone as usual, for early ML weekend, targeting mature does and bucks with 3 points on a side minimum (a northern zone buck is twice as valuable to me as a southern zone one, so they don’t need as many points).  I will stay up there thru opening weekend of gun, looking for a buck with more than 3 on a side.  

Back down south, for the rest of archery thru end of Holliday ML season, I will again be after mature does and bucks with 4 or more points on a side.  Until New Year’s Day afternoon, when a single 3” antler is all that I will need, if I still have a buck tag. 

If all goes well, I could end up with (7) deer, probably keeping just (3) for my family (2 bucks and a northern zone doe), and donating any more to others (venison donation coalition and/or friends/extended family in need).  

I have been giving them money for a few years now, and it’s about time to give them some meat.

I have no desire to butcher a doe, because it takes me way too long to trim out all the fat.  I am not set up to butcher up north, so I don’t mind bringing one home from up there, that had been processed for me (plus they can deal with the ticks).  A northern zone doe is worth the same as a southern zone 8 point buck to me.   

Being able to hunt with a crossbow, starting October 1, should easily add 2 or 3 deer to my usual take.  If that’s what the DEC wants, then by golly, why should anyone oppose it ?  I mostly only hunt a grossly overpopulated area of the southern zone (wmu 9F), and a slightly overpopulated area of the northern zone  (6c&f). 

Lots of 2.5 yr. olds out there for you! You will do great!!!

• Like 1

My bow gets it done just fine, this won't change anything for me, it's not the weapon that makes the hunter. 

Also most guys complaining about thier shoulders are just lazy and dont do any self maintenance. Lazy guys don't affect my hunting.

Anything proficient at killing a deer is a good addition to the list. Atlatl is deadly in the right hands also.

55 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

My bow gets it done just fine, this won't change anything for me, it's not the weapon that makes the hunter. 

Also most guys complaining about thier shoulders are just lazy and dont do any self maintenance. Lazy guys don't affect my hunting.

Anything proficient at killing a deer is a good addition to the list. Atlatl is deadly in the right hands also.

I disagree with your “lazy” theory.  A problem with the bow, long term, is the asymmetric loading to the shoulders and other joints.  That’s not such a big deal when you are younger, but contributes to arthritis at old age.  

There are tricks that can minimize that, such as alternating drawing left and right, but few do that.  Eventually, it will catch up to you.  A crossbow eliminates that issue, by uniform 2-handed draws, every time.   

I am very thankful to have dropped the bow, before I turned 50, on the year crossbows were legalized for the best two weeks of southern zone archery season .  Just in the nick of time for me.  At almost 58, both of my shoulders still feel almost as good as they did when I was in my 20’s.  I feel sorry for the poor bastards who have shot bows into their 60’s.  

Hopefully this new crossbow legislation will lead to a little less pain killer dependency of future generations of aging hunters.  

Sleep well partner. 

• Like 3

all the compound guys who say no to this and not fair blah blah should look back 40 yrs ago plus the only people that i respect in saying no are tradtional guys.....the current compounds and current xbows both have plus and negatives to a hunter ive used both there are some advantages to both....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m all for crossbows in the woods and compounds in the woods. I just wish they would make October for crossbows and compounds and from Nov 1 until gun season for traditional archery. The way it is now is backwards. Why should the easiest tool get the best two weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Shoot a doe with twin fawns early season not much fat on them then. 

• Like 1

Funny how a compound only guy who sustained an injury to his shoulder and may not be able to draw his bow this fall  told me well i  guess  i need to get not from my doctor so i can use x bow this year... imgine his surprise when i told him unless you plan on being a quadriplegic thats not happening...  now he is upset this bill is for 55 and older and younger than 16...  lmao  let people use what they want , both kill by hemoraging and bot require same shot placements , they are not a rifle ( triggers are same as releases) yes they have a stock thats it.  

Amazing how ones view change when your season may be gone, when out of your control.  You cant see 3 torn tendons  but doenst mean the person isnt injured...  

Hope this passes as 1st step but the removing limits may get it killed although it did leave it to dec and i hope they keep  them in place. 

38 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I hope they do something either way with the Bill soon . I don't want to spend a lot of time practicing with my compound and then find out that I can put it down to collect dust and use my crossbow . 

Ill  still use my bow,much more menuverable in tight close quarter spots.  Both have their advantages and dis advantages.  Cant say compound takes much practice any more  pins are set, peep in place  simply pick up aim and release.  Never shot high poundage so no strain to draw.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Ill  still use my bow,much more menuverable in tight close quarter spots.  Both have their advantages and dis advantages.  Cant say compound takes much practice any more  pins are set, peep in place  simply pick up aim and release.  Never shot high poundage so no strain to draw.  

At 80 years old , I am pulling 60# . I am not about to wait until October 1st to dust off the compound and go hunt . I will shoot in the back yard all summer . 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Skillet said:

Some people are way too concerned with what others are doing.

Some people that say this also don't want people to have abortions and don't agree that we should have safe drug use facilities. I mean after all, those are other people doing things that are none of our business right?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

Some people that say this also don't want people to have abortions and don't agree that we should have safe drug use facilities. I mean after all, those are other people doing things that are none of our business right?

I tend to have the same view. I don't agree with some things, but they're choices that aren't mine to make. I don't have the right to control someone else's actions.

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

At 80 years old , I am pulling 60# . I am not about to wait until October 1st to dust off the compound and go hunt . I will shoot in the back yard all summer . 

I only pull 50 never saw reason for more

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

What? A man or woman with a shoulder injury is just lazy? I know a lot of construction workers that can barely lift their arm, have had to have surgery, go through hours and hours of PT and work through a lot of daily pain. 
Personally I’m glad we have options and can choose what to hunt with. I’m all for full inclusion. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

What? A man or woman with a shoulder injury is just lazy? I know a lot of construction workers that can barely lift their arm, have had to have surgery, go through hours and hours of PT and work through a lot of daily pain. 
Personally I’m glad we have options and can choose what to hunt with. I’m all for full inclusion. 

I'm all in also,  many people have a "can't" attitude, imo many of those people are lazy and complacent. Do your own thing, I shouldn't have commented in this way. Clearly it upsets people and I apologize for that.

2 hours ago, Skillet said:

I tend to have the same view. I don't agree with some things, but they're choices that aren't mine to make. I don't have the right to control someone else's actions.

same. Which is why I wont shed a tear if they go full implementation for crossbow. But i can still have my opinion on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

I haven't met an anti-crossbow guy yet besides a few curmudgeons from NYBH that are opposed to full implementation for elderly and disabled. 

• Like 1

If tax payers weren’t paying for abortions or safe drug facilities I would see your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3