Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Maybe no legal but sure not hampering anyone else doing so. On land that they bought and are taxed up the yazoo for.         Kinda say they earned that right to a point. Their land-Their Rules. 

that's very far from the truth. You and I have never really butted heads but this is absolute trash from you. The north american model is that game is owned by the people, not by the land owner. If you want the latter, you can move to Europe.

You have zero right to "do what you want" with game just because you feel you've paid for it in taxes. 

• Like 5

I wouldn’t mind seeing them keep the minimum width and draw weight restrictions.  Maybe drop the minimum age for crossbow allowance starting Oct 1 to 45.  That way, more folks could switch to the crossbow before they permanently harm their shoulders with a bow.  

An archery course should definitely be required for a crossbow.   

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 12:39 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I think abortions should be mandatory for some

Having worked in the ghetto for many years , I’m in complete agreement, time there , changed my mind 180 .

I find this whole crossbow thing quite funny actually, but then I killed deer with a single pin, flipper rest , shooting fingers , 2117s with  two blades and feathers , guys today act like modern compounds are a challenge lol . But , but , but I gotta draw it lol . Ya with massive let offs , drop a way rests, back tension release ,  oh after a range finder reading, and lighted knocks , just like Ishi did ! If you don’t know who Ishi is , you’re knowledge of the sport is poor .

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Nomad said:

If you don’t know who Ishi is , you’re knowledge of the sport is poor .

Yes, Ishi the last yahi.  Watched the documentary DVD which I got from the Penfield library years ago.  He only surrendered because the bounty hunters stole his stick bow and arrows and everything dear to him was gone. This was early 1900s and they were still trying to hunt indians for bounty in their last hiding areas in California.

From what I recall, Dr. Pope from Pope and Young studied him like a lab rat to learn about his hunting and language.  The actual audio recordings of Ishi are haunting.  I don't think they ever figured out his language and in the end, Pope was quite ashamed how he used him as an exhibit.  Note that my recollection may not be 100%.

I recommend the documentary on Ishi.  It's a fascinating bit of American history that one would find hard to believe happened if it was not documented. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

that's very far from the truth. You and I have never really butted heads but this is absolute trash from you. The north american model is that game is owned by the people, not by the land owner. If you want the latter, you can move to Europe.

You have zero right to "do what you want" with game just because you feel you've paid for it in taxes. 

You might feel that way but trust me… That’s not the way it works in today’s real world.That’s kinda like saying anyone can also go on anyone’s private land and hunt those critters because the “People” own them. Nope.  I know many that own 1000’s of acres and they manage their property to their standards and their liking. They choose what when and with what they do on their property. They stock different fish and fish when they want regardless of seasons and they do the same with the critters. Just the way it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing them keep the minimum width and draw weight restrictions.  Maybe drop the minimum age for crossbow allowance starting Oct 1 to 45.  That way, more folks could switch to the crossbow before they permanently harm their shoulders with a bow.  

And that width and weigh is about as stupid as having to have a muzzy tags and a piece of paper in your pocket saying you read something. More typical Ny stupidity 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

You might feel that way but trust me… That’s not the way it works in today’s real world.That’s kinda like saying anyone can also go on anyone’s private land and hunt those critters because the “People” own them. Nope.  I know many that own 1000’s of acres and they manage their property to their standards and their liking. They choose what when and with what they do on their property. They stock different fish and fish when they want regardless of seasons and they do the same with the critters. Just the way it is. 

You talk like I guy just itching for a visit from the DEC........lol

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 12:20 PM, wolc123 said:

When your only argument against is centered on selfish elitism, it is time for “deflection”.     He will probably bring up the Nazis next.

Nazis? It wouldn't be the first person, or first time this kind of language got thrown around on this site. Just a month ago I came under attack and had a member here refer to me in such a manner. 

No matter what topic, civility is a thing of the past on this site. And, the so called "rules" pertaining to not attacking other members is a farce. As a result, I watch from the side lines from time to time, but rarely if ever chime in on anything here anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You talk like I guy just itching for a visit from the DEC........lol

In my line of business I have lived with the DEC for 25 years. Never an issue here. Need a damage permit or problems with Vermin and they are there to help fix the problem.   Most people keep to themselves and do not cause waves. Kinda like find a business and mind it. 

9 hours ago, Nomad said:

Having worked in the ghetto for many years , I’m in complete agreement, time there , changed my mind 180 .

I find this whole crossbow thing quite funny actually, but then I killed deer with a single pin, flipper rest , shooting fingers , 2117s with  two blades and feathers , guys today act like modern compounds are a challenge lol . But , but , but I gotta draw it lol . Ya with massive let offs , drop a way rests, back tension release ,  oh after a range finder reading, and lighted knocks , just like Ishi did ! If you don’t know who Ishi is , you’re knowledge of the sport is poor .

First deer I ever shot was a single pin , it was a 10-32 screw with the head filed to a ball in the lathe and dipped in orange model paint ,no release and no adult telling me exactly what to do in my ear the whole time. We'll save that argument for a different thread.

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

2 questions, and the first is curiosity only, no agenda.

Why keep the limitations? I don't support the crossbow but if it was legal I don't see how the higher poundage hinders or negatively affects anything.

Second. What evidence do you have that guys are "hurting themselves" by practicing archery? lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nomad said:

You know drawing it has nothing to do with the force right? It's the movement. Maybe you have never been busted drawing and if so, you're the first bowhunter I've met that can claim that. 

12 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

No it's not how I feel. It's the law and our model of conservation. Your analogy is twisted and confused as well. Fish are generally treated as separate "game species". It's why many states have a dept. of Fish and Game. The context I'm referring to has to do with small game, birds and large game. Heck migratory birds are a whole other ball of wax which we actually partner with other countries with. 

The illegal behavior that you're promoting is why almost all our big game species were wiped out in the early 1900's and through very careful work and a lot of time and money organizations like the NWTF and TRCP in collaboration with state and federal wildlife agencies have reclaimed them to the levels we enjoy today. It's why you can now hunt wolves in some states and turkey in 49 of 50 states.

Its NOT because people like you and your buddies bought a bunch of land and did as they pleased with it.

shameful man, straight up illegal, unethical and shameful for you to post this

https://www.fishwildlife.org/landing/north-american-model-wildlife-conservation#:~:text=The North American Model of,sound science and active management.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, DirtTime said:

What the hell do abortions, or who's paying for them, have to do with a crossbow bill? Some should pay attention to the decline of this forum due to a few people who can't help themselves from bringing this crap into a hunting related topic.

I think it's just time to pass full inclusion of crossbows and be done with it, so we can move onto the next topic of panty twisting debates. Ya know, like when the leaves are allowed to change and fall.

if you read the context you'd see why it came up.

It is interesting though. You bitch about the decline of the forum and topics, yet here we are talking about a hunting topic and you're bitching.

What is there that is ok to talk about? Lord knows those who see a 4 page thread on crossbows know what it's about and can simply pass on by right? We're down to maybe 3 a year on the topic.

11 hours ago, land 1 said:

In fighting just what the anti-hunters want from the hunting community....

there's maybe 6 of us on this board out of the idk 30 or so active members who aren't a big fan of crossbows. Long gone are the days of violent arguments against them. What you have left are some guys with opinions. Of the 6, some feel stronger than others but I don't recall anyone over the last year or 2 who is name-calling and "fighting" about it. Debating, voicing opinion and discussing are far more accurate terms. 

When you throw the term "in fighting" out, I'd ask you to think about how brothers are. We fight tooth and nail all day and every day with each other when we're younger, but it's all from a place of love. However, the second someone outside the family gets involved the bond between those 2 brothers is stronger than diamonds. 

So sure we have our differences, but there are no hunters on this board taking the side of PETA even if we butt heads over shooting button bucks, crossbows, ARs, bag limits, season structures etc. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Belo said:

if you read the context you'd see why it came up.

It is interesting though. You bitch about the decline of the forum and topics, yet here we are talking about a hunting topic and you're bitching.

What is there that is ok to talk about? Lord knows those who see a 4 page thread on crossbows know what it's about and can simply pass on by right? We're down to maybe 3 a year on the topic.

Must have struck a nerve there. Trust me, I ain't bitching, I'm stating a fact that this is a freaking thread about crossbows and some people felt the need to interject bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with that. If you can't understand that that crap is a top factor in why this place is loosing members faster than a fat kid eating french fries, you might be part of the problem. So here's a thought, when you see a thread that clearly about hunting, maybe pass it right on by if you feel the urge to have to interject opinions about other things that have ZERO to do with the topic

Have a great day, may a camel spider crawl up your backside and lay an egg or two.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Must have struck a nerve there. Trust me, I ain't bitching, I'm stating a fact that this is a freaking thread about crossbows and some people felt the need to interject bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with that. If you can't understand that that crap is a top factor in why this place is loosing members faster than a fat kid eating french fries, you might be part of the problem. So here's a thought, when you see a thread that clearly about hunting, maybe pass it right on by if you feel the urge to have to interject opinions about other things that have ZERO to do with the topic

Have a great day, may a camel spider crawl up your backside and lay an egg or two.

now see we could have had a discussion here but you ended it with an insult. So who is really calling the kettle black?

The point came up about crossbows being a law that wouldn't affect me, so I shouldn't care. I brought up an analogy how some of those people seem to care an awful lot of about things that don't affect them, in an attempt to point out some hypocrisy. There were 3 or 4 posts about it and it never derailed to an abortion thread, so it was fine.

Us losing members has more to do with no updates and zero involvement from the owner and the 1.5 mods. 

Context is everything my friend and wishing harm on someone is something I'll never do, momma raised me right ;)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

I guess the thing that stands out to me on this issue is that deer do not just stay on any one land-owner's land unless he has it high-fenced. So what you do on your private property does impact the hunting on neighboring lands. So with that in mind, wild game is indeed public even when on private property...........right?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I guess the thing that stands out to me on this issue is that deer do not just stay on any one land-owner's land unless he has it high-fenced. So what you do on your private property does impact the hunting on neighboring lands. So with that in mind, wild game is indeed public even when on private property...........right?

One would think so. These properties are 1000 acres to over 4000.  Amazing how if a person fences his property he can pretty much do as he feels with the land and animals but not without.  Even though he owns and pays the taxes on same piece of property. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

No it's not how I feel. It's the law and our model of conservation. Your analogy is twisted and confused as well. Fish are generally treated as separate "game species". It's why many states have a dept. of Fish and Game. The context I'm referring to has to do with small game, birds and large game. Heck migratory birds are a whole other ball of wax which we actually partner with other countries with. 

The illegal behavior that you're promoting is why almost all our big game species were wiped out in the early 1900's and through very careful work and a lot of time and money organizations like the NWTF and TRCP in collaboration with state and federal wildlife agencies have reclaimed them to the levels we enjoy today. It's why you can now hunt wolves in some states and turkey in 49 of 50 states.

Its NOT because people like you and your buddies bought a bunch of land and did as they pleased with it.

https://www.fishwildlife.org/landing/north-american-model-wildlife-conservation#:~:text=The North American Model of,sound science and active management.

Maybe not legal in the mans eyes but in this world of today that word does not hold a whole lot of water on many levels. As we have seen. Even from the top. To your rant about the animals. I can promise you that any lands I speak of are the type of hunting that I would guess you have never seen. A lack of anything is not a problem. Now tell me about how those wolves you speak of are working out for the land owners up in the UP and big country that bought their property for whitetail hunting?  Now that the vermin has ate about every 4 legged creature. Not to even mention the farmers. Tell me about all the people bitching in even this state for the lack of Turkey numbers?  Why?? Because nobody does a thing about the over population of the useless vermin in Yotes, coons and the rest of the egg suckers. I can promise you that any property I speak of does not have any of these issues. Right, Wrong or indifferent it’s just the way it is. And these people are doing better for any lands they deal with compared to the lands outside them. So in reality they are doing the next door neighbor a service. You know, The one that shoots as many deer as they can regardless of size and just maybe if it’s tagged it might be lucky and have a wives or kids tag on it.   You have much more to worry about then some very well off people that own so great hunting property because they have the smarts to build a great hunting property.  

Game Laws are guidelines and are often not cut and dry. No different than speed limits. I would consider myself a law abiding citizen but have and will go outside of the law to do what’s best for my property. To me someone shooting a coyote out of season, trapping a coon out of season or shooting a beaver is much different than shooting 6 bucks.

Is it? I don’t know but I sleep fine at night and have no problem looking at myself while brushing my teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Game Laws are guidelines and are often not cut and dry. No different than speed limits. I would consider myself a law abiding citizen but have and will go outside of the law to do what’s best for my property. To me someone shooting a coyote out of season, trapping a coon out of season or shooting a beaver is much different than shooting 6 bucks.

Is it? I don’t know but I sleep fine at night and have no problem looking at myself while brushing my teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. And only a fool would sit back and watch their properties go to wastelands because of useless vermin or some idiot in a shirt and tie sitting at a desk that has never been in the woods make the laws for said properties. Some folks are getting smart to the game. And those that bitch about landowners doing what needs to be done are those that will probably never own property 

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Maybe it’s time for another crossbow full inclusion pole, or can I take Belos numbers,  that we are now down to just 6 forum members who opposed. I think it’s just 3 (him, doc, and Jeremy).

Put me on the list too.   

• Like 1