Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

Just now, wolc123 said:

More deflection I see.  We could also tally up the misses from those using tight patterned 12 gauges, but what has that to do with crossbow fill inclusion ?

absolutely nothing. What does my rough math have to do with anything either? Your post was a personal shot so I responded in kind. 

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

More deflection I see.  We could also tally up the misses from those using tight patterned 12 gauges, but what has that to do with crossbow fill inclusion ?

I've missed plenty when I first got mine.... then it got crazy, you can cut thier heads off with current guns and chokes. That's all, no one is saying your a sissy. Just making sure you understand the choice you make regarding pattern potential while shooting at turkeys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

absolutely nothing. What does my rough math have to do with anything either? Your post was a personal shot so I responded in kind. 

Your math was close.  If my count is correct, it looks like we are now up to 7 forum members who are opposed to full inclusion, so you were only off by one.  

Like I said prior, I really don’t have a bird in this hunt anymore.  My family’s meat supply is secure, since they gave us that September sz antlerless gun season, ML antlerless deer up in the Adirondacks, the extra half hours of hunting time, and the Holiday ML season last year.  As far as the crossbow goes, I am extremely thankful that we have the best two weeks of sz archery season.      

Prior to all those “special bonuses” that NY state gave us deer hunters last season, each of which added one to my freezer, I’d have pushed a lot harder for crossbow full inclusion.  

11 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I've missed plenty when I first got mine.... then it got crazy, you can cut thier heads off with current guns and chokes. That's all, no one is saying your a sissy. Just making sure you understand the choice you make regarding pattern potential while shooting at turkeys.

I am going to use my 12 gauge at home, if I go out Sunday morning.   It got the job done there a few years ago, on the only turkey I ever shot at. 

I am still going to go with my 16 gauge next Saturday, over at my parents place.  I know that will limit my range, to about 25 yards, but I have a good blind over there.

I certainly ain’t into turkeys for the meat, but it would be cool to kill one with my grandpa’s old gun, in his woods, from the same chair that I killed a big buck (remember those pictures) from last year.  

• Like 2

Maybe it’s time for another crossbow full inclusion pole, or can I take Belos numbers,  that we are now down to just 6 forum members who opposed. I think it’s just 3 (him, doc, and Jeremy).
You forgot me Wolc. I'm just done having the same debate with the same people and letting it affect my day. This site is in the shitter anyways. Maybe Elon Musk will buy it and we'll have some structure....

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You forgot me Wolc. I'm just done having the same debate with the same people and letting it affect my day. This site is in the shitter anyways. Maybe Elon Musk will buy it and we'll have some structure....

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

That would be the end of democracy as we know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

First, game laws are not guidelines, they are legally enforceable laws that carry punishment that can include jail time. 
Just like speeding vs murder, the book comes with various levels of penalties based on the violation. Shoot 6 bucks? bigger penalty than shooting a squirrel in March. 
My whole issue with the deer jizz master is that he feels that he has the right to do what he wants on the land because it's his. That land is his to cut down every tree if he wants. He can plant as many tress as he likes. He can make ponds, fill in ponds etc. But he cannot hunt out of season, take more game than he is allowed, he cannot use a crossbow during the first few weeks or archery. It's just a fact. Do people do it? Sure. But condoning it because "you paid a lot of taxes on it" is horseshit.
I know there are members here who own houses on less than an acre that pay more in taxes and we're not in our front yards shooting the robins and cardinals out of the trees. 

I won’t speak for him but for me I don’t feel it’s my right but I do feel it’s a conscious decision as an adult with a full understanding of the consequences. If I shoot a beaver that is causing damage to my property after making multiple attempts to get someone to trap them an Encon officer is going to look at that differently than someone shooting a deer out of season or at night. That is what I mean by guidelines. It’s no different t than setting your cruise control at 67mph on the highway or rolling through a stoplight, they’re both breaking a law…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I won’t speak for him but for me I don’t feel it’s my right but I do feel it’s a conscious decision as an adult with a full understanding of the consequences. If I shoot a beaver that is causing damage to my property after making multiple attempts to get someone to trap them an Encon officer is going to look at that differently than someone shooting a deer out of season or at night. That is what I mean by guidelines. It’s no different t than setting your cruise control at 67mph on the highway or rolling through a stoplight, they’re both breaking a law…

But you’re not boasting about that beaver on the www……..

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

But you’re not boasting about that beaver on the www……..

Boasting???  By speaking the facts. How’s that work for ya?  I have no problem speaking facts and truths. It’s some of the Karen’s that can’t handle that part. 

Edited by Four Seasons
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Also this may or may not pass? It's been on the table many times in one shape or another. 

It was always the same prior years.  They throttled back the wants a bit this year, with the 55 plus and 16 and under age restrictions.  I think there is a good chance for it to pass this year, considering all those other positive changes  that NY made for us deer hunters last year.   It seems that they are listening to the majority of hunters, and unshackling us, so they can get a little better handle on the deer population.  

If any of the anti crossbow (8) here get too upset over passage, I think Oregon is the last holdout in the lower 48 that still allows no crossbow usage for big game. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It was always the same prior years.  They throttled back the wants a bit this year, with the 55 plus and 16 and under age restrictions.  I think there is a good chance for it to pass this year, considering all those other positive changes  that NY made for us deer hunters last year.   It seems that they are listening to the majority of hunters, and unshackling us, so they can get a little better handle on the deer population.  

If any of the anti crossbow (8) here get too upset over passage, I think Oregon is the last holdout in the lower 48 that still allows no crossbow usage for big game. 

This makes sense. They are doing deer depredation in and around ithaca. Shooting deer over corn feeders and throwing them in a dumpster to rot.

Insurance companies hate deer, and have at least in the past threatened dec with litigation. We kill between 25 and 60 does every year and every year they are back. Urban deer are tough to eliminate.

Also Guys would take fully auto m60 deer hunting if it was legal, doesn't mean they will kill the deer. 

Just wondering is this about crossbows. Kind of going off track our we.:banghead::popcorn3:

I don’t think that the conversation is off track at all. I would guess Everyone knows someone who owns their own property that is hunting with an Xbow on oct1. No different than I’m sure everyone knows someone who has an AR that doesn’t fit within the safe act.

I’m against full inclusion but not enough to fight it. If the state see’s it as archery equipment for some of archery season than what does it matter? It’s archery equipment in the states eyes. It can’t be archery equipment for part and not all…

If I wanted to crossbow hunt or if I needed to do to for a medical reason you can bet your butt I would be out there with an Xbow on Oct 1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I think NY has gone very progressive lately as well , allowing crossbows during archery season will fit in nicely with the other progressive measures taken across the state the past couple years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t think that the conversation is off track at all. I would guess Everyone knows someone who owns their own property that is hunting with an Xbow on oct1. No different than I’m sure everyone knows someone who has an AR that doesn’t fit within the safe act.

I’m against full inclusion but not enough to fight it. If the state see’s it as archery equipment for some of archery season than what does it matter? It’s archery equipment in the states eyes. It can’t be archery equipment for part and not all…

If I wanted to crossbow hunt or if I needed to do to for a medical reason you can bet your butt I would be out there with an Xbow on Oct 1.

Now be careful. There are Some out there that might just call your statement Boasting!  

Beavers you say ? Funny when we went to cross the creek to shoot on my range there was a new beaver damn and we lit it up with many 7.62 rounds out of a non safe act compliant AK ,a  mini 14 and a shockwave lol .

On 4/29/2022 at 11:51 AM, Jeremy K said:

The guys that practice all year consider 5 in a half dollar at 40 yards a good group ,not hitting a pie plate at 20. 

Target and hunting are 2 different things  i know olympic archers that cant hit the broadside of a barn with a deer in front of them.. 

• Like 2

The guys that practice all year consider 5 in a half dollar at 40 yards a good group ,not hitting a pie plate at 20. 

I shoot my bows 4-5 days a week year round. I’m perfectly happy with a 5 in a pie plate at 40yds, but I don’t use a peep and shoot with a .2 pin and With my long bows I’m happy with 5 in a pie plate at 20yds.

A compound is easy enough to kill consistently with to take the time and effort argument off the table. Im anti full inclusion but the time and effort argument is absolutely BS!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I shoot my bows 4-5 days a week year round. I’m perfectly happy with a 5 in a pie plate at 40yds, but I don’t use a peep and shoot with a .2 pin and With my long bows I’m happy with 5 in a pie plate at 20yds.

A compound is easy enough to kill consistently with to take the time and effort argument off the table. Im anti full inclusion but the time and effort argument is absolutely BS!

I'm not sure what part of time and effort is bullshit?

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Shooting a compound is easy. Many against inclusion think it’s the time and effort to get proficient with a compound that is the difference between them and Xbow hunters.

Gotcha , we definitely have a different opinion on that.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, Four Seasons said:

And if you could comprehend the wording…Kinda say…They earned that right to a point..Their Land… Their Rules. Kinda Say= Them …They=Them…Their= Them.                 What I say means nothing to for or about anyone doing anything they please on their properties. Just as what they say would mean nothing to my land or what I do with it or on it.   Kinda goes back to that finding a business and minding it thing. 

So what's the line for you? What if that guy is cooking meth out their on his property? What if he's trafficking humans or running a pedo ring? When do you stop minding your own business? I'm curious what your line is.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:28 PM, wolc123 said:

After your last post indicating it's ok to wound birds because they taste bad, I've decided I'm no longer replying to your posts. So take that as a victory, and good luck in life wolc. You and I have closed our chapter. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2022 at 7:39 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Shooting a compound is easy. Many against inclusion think it’s the time and effort to get proficient with a compound that is the difference between them and Xbow hunters.

If we were listing reasons A through G why some are against full inclusion and tallying up all the answers, I actually think that's closer to G than it is to A. But in this vein there lies some truth. Despite some of the bad ass cig smoking, irish spring using, I don't practice and shoot big bucks guys on this site, most of us know that is incredibly more difficult to get a successful shot off on a nice mature buck, or doe for that matter at 30 or under with a compound. 

I will agree that it doesn't take a ton of work to become a decent shot with a compound these days. I will say that to become a decent shot so that when it's go time and your muscle memory kicks in from all that practice to overcome all the adrenaline does take more work than the guy flat footed in shorts and t-shirt in his backyard though. I'm not a vet, but I've spoken to many who have seen combat that can attest to repetition and muscle memory from training kicking in during a cluster f*ck engagement and have to think that it's a similar concept.

To answer what's closer to A than to G though? It's draw, distance, lack of optics, lack of rest etc. Those are the differentiators for most of us. Not so much the "I earned it in the off season". Just my tired old .02. 

Hell there's a crossbow now that has 2 bolts ready to go. I haven't seen that in a compound yet. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Belo said:

So what's the line for you? What if that guy is cooking meth out their on his property? What if he's trafficking humans or running a pedo ring? When do you stop minding your own business? I'm curious what your line is.

After your last post indicating it's ok to wound birds because they taste bad, I've decided I'm no longer replying to your posts. So take that as a victory, and good luck in life wolc. You and I have closed our chapter. 

Sianara buddy, I hope you have a good season this year.