Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

Just because you dont doenst mean its not available.  I do not know any one shooting a compound with out a release, and fiberoptic or lighted pins,  and who doesnt use a range finder.  As i said unless your shooting traditional your using all the same technology.  Even if you dont want to believe it. 

I stand by my statement, no one is using a draw lock or resting their stabilizer on a shooting stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Ive never seen someone use a 3k rifle either but someone does. And i have seen compounds mounted on  a tripod rest.  You can see disabled use them  on youtube,  you could use as well  you  choose not to  but its still available.   Ive seen wierd thinfs with guns as well off set plate on top to mount scooe so blind in right eye shooter can shoot with left eye right handed... most would just learn to shoot left handed  i would assume..  because your personally choose the way you want  doenst give you a right to condem a way someone else does using same technology combine in a way you think is repungnant.. it all  the same. 

I'm 100 percent in favor of crossbows all season long , gun season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm 100 percent in favor of crossbows all season long , gun season.

Would you be ok with folks over 55 and under 17 using them for deer all of archery season ?  

Personally, I’d be very happy with that compromise, especially if the archery course is required for all.  I wouldn’t mind them keeping the width and poundage restrictions that are currently in place.

It seems like there are extremists on both sides who are willing to accept no compromise.  

Edited by wolc123

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will mention that I know two older gentlemen who both hunt with a draw lock, and one of them uses a shooting stick when ground hunting. Looks unwieldy as all get out, but both guys say it's not bad at all. Both also switch to crossbow when it's legal. I've been with them when they've killed deer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, knehrke said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will mention that I know two older gentlemen who both hunt with a draw lock, and one of them uses a shooting stick when ground hunting. Looks unwieldy as all get out, but both guys say it's not bad at all. Both also switch to crossbow when it's legal. I've been with them when they've killed deer.

I don’t either, since they opened up that early antlerless gun season, Adirondack ML antlerless, the Holliday ML season, and gave us the extra hour of hunting time beyond daylight hours.  Prior to those changes last season , the crossbow  played a much bigger part in keeping my family fed thru the year.

I am extremely thankful that the crossbow is legal for my favorite time to hunt deer in the NY southern zone, the peak two weeks of the rut.

If this latest adjustment, allowing older and younger hunters to use them all season goes thru this year (and I hope it does), that’s just a little icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.  

It is hard to imagine how my family’s meat supply could be any more secure than it has gotten since those awesome changes that the NY state DEC made last year.   

This one showed up in gun season, 5 minutes past dark last year:

31321566-18CE-40BC-9EAE-123A7323A4CB.thumb.jpeg.a81ff702a21672ae38cbe2d270e24b92.jpeg

Note the fancy drag handle, which had not yet been “deployed” when the photo was taken.   There is a good example of a true multi-use tool. 

It is high time we got some pictures in this thread.  Certainly FSW, Belo, and k-mart will appreciate it anyhow. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

The seasons are perfect - quit your bitchin...lol

We can take two bucks, most places can get doe permits, there's a long archery season, an overlap with xbow and a generous gun season, followed by a southern muzzleloader/archery. A northern and southern range with lots of different hunting options. We gots it good!

If you don't want to use the implement or hunt a season or full season don't. No one is making you. It's like bitching that the steak dinner is too big. You don't have to eat it all.

I am all for the xbow at 55 as I know several guys that can't draw the bow anymore and just love the archery season. And being older have a tougher time in the cold as well. Less restrictions and more freedoms are always a good thing. To argue about the semantics of whether a crossbow is more like a gun or bow is silly to me. Who cares. Hunt with what is legal and works for you and who cares what others do. I use and enjoy them all.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Would you be ok with folks over 55 and under 17 using them for deer all of archery season ?  

Personally, I’d be very happy with that compromise, especially if the archery course is required for all.  I wouldn’t mind them keeping the width and poundage restrictions that are currently in place.

It seems like there are extremists on both sides who are willing to accept no compromise.  

Why under 17? I shot my first deer at 14 with a compound . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

You were probably stronger than average at that age.  Are you ok with the older than 55 folks using them ?

I'd like to say yes ,but I know it will just bring all the "shoulder injury" guys to the doctors to get their note.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I don’t either, since they opened up that early antlerless gun season, Adirondack ML antlerless, the Holliday ML season, and gave us the extra hour of hunting time beyond daylight hours.  Prior to those changes last season , the crossbow  played a much bigger part in keeping my family fed thru the year.

I am extremely thankful that the crossbow is legal for my favorite time to hunt deer in the NY southern zone, the peak two weeks of the rut.

If this latest adjustment, allowing older and younger hunters to use them all season goes thru this year (and I hope it does), that’s just a little icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.  

It is hard to imagine how my family’s meat supply could be any more secure than it has gotten since those awesome changes that the NY state DEC made last year.   

This one showed up in gun season, 5 minutes past dark last year:

31321566-18CE-40BC-9EAE-123A7323A4CB.thumb.jpeg.a81ff702a21672ae38cbe2d270e24b92.jpeg

Note the fancy drag handle, which had not yet been “deployed” when the photo was taken.   There is a good example of a true multi-use tool. 

It is high time we got some pictures in this thread.  Certainly FSW, Belo, and k-mart will appreciate it anyhow. 

You’re my hero ! Post one picture and the usual suspects generally come out of the shadows, to freak out , never realizing they’re being played . 

Good points Gman, but I for one have never once held a range finder , let alone used one , wether the deer is 12 or 15 yards is moot . I also shot fingers with a compound over half the years I’ve hunted , todays shorter bows make that a tad harder today , so I cheat and use a release. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'd like to say yes ,but I know it will just bring all the "shoulder injury" guys to the doctors to get their note.

Maybe so, but it’s good to see you are at least a little open to some compromise.  I think I have just a touch of a right shoulder issue because I can sleep on my left side without any pain in the morning but if I do it on the right, my shoulder hurts for a while.  30 years of right handed bow hunting might have contributed to that.  

Since I am 58, I won’t need a “doctors” note if this goes thru.  As I said already many times, I am also ok with just the two weeks we got now.   I sure hope they don’t give those two weeks to the “traditionalists” as others have suggested.  There is no way my “maybe” ailing old right shoulder would hold up to a recurve or longbow. 

Edited by wolc123

On 5/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, G-Man said:

I dont know any serious hunter that would buy a non nys compliant x bow let alone spend 2k plus on one.

The width is controlled by regulations. and weight they weigh a lot in comparison to a compound,  point of ballance  is a better statement.  

I am aware for the $2500 plus x bows but they are not nys compliant.  So  that point for now  is moot. 

As i siad i habe no problem with the restriction on pull and limb width, if anyone is hunting x bow in nys they should have a nus compliant x bow already.

Only bring that one in, because the same organization that want's full season inclusion, also wants the restrictions lifted. So I felt it was fare to bring it into the discussion.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, G-Man said:

I dont call them cupcakes , they just dont want others in the woods that may get their deer.. they will say essence of the sport but use every tech advantage they can..  imo the only ones that got screwed are traditional archers they should have the 2 prime rut weeks alone, if any one is truly fore the essence of the sport they would agree.

That's your opinion, but in my case you're wrong. I hunt private land and a crossbow doesn't change anything for me. It has everything to do with the essence of the sport. But I don't think there's anyway I can convince you that this is the case, so I'll leave it there. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:58 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

I am all for the xbow at 55 as I know several guys that can't draw the bow anymore and just love the archery season. 

same here. absolutely not for youth though. give it to the youth and that's where the bow will die. 

I dont know any serious hunter that would buy a non nys compliant x bow let alone spend 2k plus on one.
The width is controlled by regulations. and weight they weigh a lot in comparison to a compound,  point of ballance  is a better statement.  
I am aware for the $2500 plus x bows but they are not nys compliant.  So  that point for now  is moot. 
As i siad i habe no problem with the restriction on pull and limb width, if anyone is hunting x bow in nys they should have a nus compliant x bow already.

You know of one, I currently own 2 crossbows neither are NY legal both cost over 2,000$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

same here. absolutely not for youth though. give it to the youth and that's where the bow will die. 

Will not matter.. Imo..

Once crossbows are fully included (just a matter of time) ..

20 years from now less than 10% of "archers" will hunt with compounds or traditional archery gear.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Will not matter.. Imo..

Once crossbows are fully included (just a matter of time) ..

20 years from now less than 10% of "archers" will hunt with compounds or traditional archery gear.

exactly my "crusade" in a nutshell. Don't fully include them and you preserve the sport. No different than those of us who own a muzzleloader who otherwise would not. 

• Thanks 1

Technology and traditions change. How many of our parents made us drive a manual car or shoot with irons sights?

When I was learning to hunt with my dad I did it in a tree stand on beside a tree. Not with an I pad in a blind. Things change, if it gets kids in the woods I don’t care what they use and I surely don’t care about if compound bows die.

How is that any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Belo said:

or it expands options for youth hunters and they are able to actually hunt and take game, thus bringing in more hunters 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

exactly my "crusade" in a nutshell. Don't fully include them and you preserve the sport. No different than those of us who own a muzzleloader who otherwise would not. 

Is that not what compounds did to traditional bows when included. Why is this where the line needs drawn? Why was the line not drawn at cams?

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Muzzleloader use to be side lock only,  so i hope in keeping the essence of the sport your is as well ot just do what pa has and go flintlock, or maybe we should keep matchlocks or wheellocks alive..  

The sport will always continue  as it has in every state that has full inclusion for decades.  Again  if your not pushing for a traditional 2 week seaon 1st 2 weeks of november only, your real modivations lay in  added deer removed from herd that you might get.. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:18 AM, Jeremy K said:

Why under 17? I shot my first deer at 14 with a compound . 

Some kids are to weak to legally draw a bow ( perhaps to many video games ) but they have a interest.   You use a compound that is repugnate to true archers  yet you calime that your in it  for essence of the sport so maybe try your compound instinctive  no peep sights or rest.... oh wait the technology isnt compliant with traditional archery anymore you need that drop away rest  or a whisker biscut to hold your arrow on  the rest..  and sights to aim. ...  same tech  

The only real losers in all this are archers who have disabilites that are not allowed to participate in season.. 

And there are no dr notes for bad shoulders to use them.

The real problem as i told will elliott ( former outdoor writer) on a bear hunt in new brunswick is the new york definition of disabled..  quadriplegic with a breath tube to use a crossbow  in archery season is ridiculous  and yes that is only legal way.