Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

It's fair. The term is obviously what got under your skin and I guess it was the wrong choice of words. My point is that many, many, many woman can pull back a bow and it seemed that you were imply that they just couldn't. I think we've beat that to death.
My whole food plot journey is chronicled on my youtube if you're interested in checking it out. I just popped a tire on my kunz mower so she's down for a bit, which is fine as there hasn't been any rain since I planted my clover lol. Going to be a long while before I have to mow it. but the orchard grasses are about knee high already too.
We were just talking about cutting too. Stuff is growing so fast now that it has been so warm. We are planning on next 2-3 weeks doing all the trails. Sucks with the flat. Nice machine for sure and it will get the job done.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

On 5/13/2022 at 9:19 AM, Belo said:

if you're on this site and haven't seen that movie it should be an instant ban. Once you've seen the movie you can rejoin haha

Actually, that line from Blazing Saddles was a spoof as it was originally from The Treasure of Sierra Madre in 1948.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

It's fair. The term is obviously what got under your skin and I guess it was the wrong choice of words. My point is that many, many, many woman can pull back a bow and it seemed that you were imply that they just couldn't. I think we've beat that to death.

My whole food plot journey is chronicled on my youtube if you're interested in checking it out. I just popped a tire on my kunz mower so she's down for a bit, which is fine as there hasn't been any rain since I planted my clover lol. Going to be a long while before I have to mow it. but the orchard grasses are about knee high already too.

Could I get a link to your YouTube?

On 5/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, Belo said:

To be clear, you know someone who is 38 and in great shape, no disabilities that can't pull back 35 pounds? 

Has your teen soccer star ever tried to pull back 35 pounds? 

Yes. To be fair she is less than 5 feet tall and i doubt she weights 100lbs. My daughter has tried her bow. I am willing to bet my daughter could pull 35lbs but you said 55lbs....

On 4/24/2022 at 7:12 AM, vtpainter said:

So ,when will we know if any of these proposals passed?

they won't unless you look them up on nys legislative websites and each time they're in a committee you and friends call those in the committee to keep it moving. 

On 5/14/2022 at 5:29 PM, wolc123 said:

I wonder if it would slide thru a little easier if they kept the current minimum width and maximum poundage restrictions.  

IMO that's the dumbest part of the crossbow laws. makes a very large percentage of them illegal to own. the trend is moving more in that heavy poundage and slim width design too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

IMO that's the dumbest part of the crossbow laws. makes a very large percentage of them illegal to own. the trend is moving more in that heavy poundage and slim width design too.

Many other states  big buck states have same restrictions..  there are many legal x bows to buy. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:26 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

We were just talking about cutting too. Stuff is growing so fast now that it has been so warm. We are planning on next 2-3 weeks doing all the trails. Sucks with the flat. Nice machine for sure and it will get the job done.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

i sent them a note and their customer service is great. Said they don't normally cover tires, but sending me a whole assembly so I don't have to get it mounted free of charge. great guys so far.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Could I get a link to your YouTube?

The series is here. I was going to share it if I had success lol. Right now It's just a guy doing his best with no idea if his plot will grow. The playlist is in the top right corner of the video, there are 12 videos so far. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

Many other states  big buck states have same restrictions..  there are many legal x bows to buy. 

I've said this before in another thread:

Many of the most popular crossbows on the market are off-limits to NY hunters who want to comply with the draw weight and limb tip width restrictions.  There seem to be fewer and fewer premium crossbow offerings that fit within the NY standards.  Many crossbows that use older technology (e.g. most Excalibur crossbows with their recurve limbs and heavy draw weights) also aren't legal in NY.  

I'm not a crossbow hunter so I don't really have a dog in the fight.  But like the 7 (or is it 10?) round capacity rules for firearms, the current restrictions seem quite arbitrary and limiting for no real good reason (or at least none that I've ever been made aware of).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

The series is here. I was going to share it if I had success lol. Right now It's just a guy doing his best with no idea if his plot will grow. The playlist is in the top right corner of the video, there are 12 videos so far. 

Great set of informative video's! I look forward to watching them all. Nice work!

7 hours ago, escpen said:

I've said this before in another thread:

Many of the most popular crossbows on the market are off-limits to NY hunters who want to comply with the draw weight and limb tip width restrictions.  There seem to be fewer and fewer premium crossbow offerings that fit within the NY standards.  Many crossbows that use older technology (e.g. most Excalibur crossbows with their recurve limbs and heavy draw weights) also aren't legal in NY.  

I'm not a crossbow hunter so I don't really have a dog in the fight.  But like the 7 (or is it 10?) round capacity rules for firearms, the current restrictions seem quite arbitrary and limiting for no real good reason (or at least none that I've ever been made aware of).

The weight and limb restrictions are to keep crossbow equivalent to modern 65lb pull compounds...  if you want an anology , your required to use a shotgun as per.regs  even though rifles are available..  same thing  i have no issue with the current restrictions  but because they exist to keep x bow equivalent to modern compound then it should be allowed all of archery..  basically  people using the high tech crossbows are the same as people using rifle  in a shotgun only area .... illegal. 

• Like 1

The weight and limb restrictions are to keep crossbow equivalent to modern 65lb pull compounds...  if you want an anology , your required to use a shotgun as per.regs  even though rifles are available..  same thing  i have no issue with the current restrictions  but because they exist to keep x bow equivalent to modern compound then it should be allowed all of archery..  basically  people using the high tech crossbows are the same as people using rifle  in a shotgun only area .... illegal. 

The problem with that analogy is that there aren’t any restrictions on compound bow draw weight. If you can find one available and have the gumption, you can shoot 100 pound+ draw weight without being illegal. I also don’t buy that it’s similar to shotgun -vs- rifle regulations. Those were implemented because of the (false) perception that shotguns were safer in more densely populated areas. I’m not aware of anyone arguing that lower draw weight or longer limb tip crossbows are somehow safer than higher draw weight or shorter limb tip crossbows, but I guess I could be mistaken on that.

I’m not arguing that those who use crossbows that aren’t inline with current regulations are right in what they are doing. Rather, I’m arguing that the current regulations are arbitrary and limit access to some of the most popular, effective and efficient products on the market. Much like the SAFE act and it’s arbitrary regulations.

Again, I don’t hunt with a crossbow and have no interest in doing so. These regulations don’t impact me in any way currently. However, I do have problems with arbitrary regulations that serve (seemingly) no practical purpose whatsoever - same as the SAFE act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, escpen said:

The problem with that analogy is that there aren’t any restrictions on compound bow draw weight. If you can find one available and have the gumption, you can shoot 100 pound+ draw weight without being illegal. I also don’t buy that it’s similar to shotgun -vs- rifle regulations. Those were implemented because of the (false) perception that shotguns were safer in more densely populated areas. I’m not aware of anyone arguing that lower draw weight or longer limb tip crossbows are somehow safer than higher draw weight or shorter limb tip crossbows, but I guess I could be mistaken on that.

I’m not arguing that those who use crossbows that aren’t inline with current regulations are right in what they are doing. Rather, I’m arguing that the current regulations are arbitrary and limit access to some of the most popular, effective and efficient products on the market. Much like the SAFE act and it’s arbitrary regulations.

Again, I don’t hunt with a crossbow and have no interest in doing so. These regulations don’t impact me in any way currently. However, I do have problems with arbitrary regulations that serve (seemingly) no practical purpose whatsoever - same as the SAFE act.

Well the archey argument is that crossbow shoot faster , you can pull  a 150 lb compound if you want but the norm is 65 lbs . Some shoot more some shoot less.  The restrictions exist to keep in line with the norm.   Rifles werent allowed because they shoot to far..  same as modern high weight crossbows..  shotguns were the norm...  not saying its right but  i had to hunt shotgun for years .  Now its rifle ..  arbitrary? 

Well the archey argument is that crossbow shoot faster , you can pull  a 150 lb compound if you want but the norm is 65 lbs . Some shoot more some shoot less.  The restrictions exist to keep in line with the norm.   Rifles werent allowed because they shoot to far..  same as modern high weight crossbows..  shotguns were the norm...  not saying its right but  i had to hunt shotgun for years .  Now its rifle ..  arbitrary? 

At the time, no - it wasn’t arbitrary. But research has since shown that rifles are no more dangerous than shotguns so that regulation has been changing. Much like I’d expect the draw weight and limb tip regulation to change - there’s no practical reason not to. Then again, we are in NY where 7 rounds in a magazine is less scary than 10 … so who knows where things will ultimately end up.

39 minutes ago, escpen said:

At the time, no - it wasn’t arbitrary. But research has since shown that rifles are no more dangerous than shotguns so that regulation has been changing. Much like I’d expect the draw weight and limb tip regulation to change - there’s no practical reason not to. Then again, we are in NY where 7 rounds in a magazine is less scary than 10 … so who knows where things will ultimately end up.

This will get passed when they leave restrictions and just want full inclusion,  then they can change restrictions.. politicians  vote this not sportsmen. 

4 hours ago, escpen said:

Exactly. Only in Ny. Hence the reason many pay no heed to the stupidity and do them. 

Edited by Four Seasons

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

Illegal in ny same as big bore air rifles..

shouldn't be. It propels an arrow, who cares that it's not propelled by a string? Think about disabled people that have trouble cocking their crossbow and all the small girls who could benefit from this.

10 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. Only in Ny. Hence the reason many pay no heed to the stupidity and do them. 

there it is again. the promotion of illegal activity by New York's favorite deer sperm collector. It's like even the 1.5 mods left don't even care anymore. But god forbid Chef posts a slightly offensive picture, then out come the ban hammers. 

shameful

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

there it is again. the promotion of illegal activity by New York's favorite deer sperm collector. It's like even the 1.5 mods left don't even care anymore. But god forbid Chef posts a slightly offensive picture, then out come the ban hammers. 

shameful

Easy sweetheart. Telling the facts of life is promoting nothing. It does seem as though you have an affiliation with sperm for some reason. Don’t worry, We don’t judge. 

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

shouldn't be. It propels an arrow, who cares that it's not propelled by a string? Think about disabled people that have trouble cocking their crossbow and all the small girls who could benefit from this.

For people that have a hard time cocking a crossbow just get accudraw from tenpoint. Mine works great, I don’t need it but it is a nice feature.