Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

8 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Easy sweetheart. Telling the facts of life is promoting nothing. It does seem as though you have an affiliation with sperm for some reason. Don’t worry, We don’t judge. 

A child with a learning disability can easily decipher your various statements support and condone it. 

And yes, I made 3 boys but I saw a doctor and no longer shoot out swimmers, so maybe I'm going through withdrawal? 

Edited by Belo

7 hours ago, Belo said:

shouldn't be. It propels an arrow, who cares that it's not propelled by a string? Think about disabled people that have trouble cocking their crossbow and all the small girls who could benefit from this.

It uses a propellant  it is not projected by a string like a crossbow with energy stored in limbs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

For people that have a hard time cocking a crossbow just get accudraw from tenpoint. Mine works great, I don’t need it but it is a nice feature. 

I haven't had to resort to a cocking crank yet but might need it in the future if I am still around . 

16 hours ago, G-Man said:

It uses a propellant  it is not projected by a string like a crossbow with energy stored in limbs

from a science stand point, both are PE. You and I know both what we're dancing around here and at this point I hope it's obvious that I'm just having fun. But the point is, there will always be a line and someone will always be trying to cross it. Your line is just different than mine and I'm sure there are those out there who thing an air powered bolt is just fine too. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 7:47 PM, G-Man said:

This will get passed when they leave restrictions and just want full inclusion,  then they can change restrictions.. politicians  vote this not sportsmen. 

Looks like the Democrats strike again. Bill failed, Republicans are the minority and they lost like 18-11 or such matter. No reason for failure givin.   Such is today’s world. Maybe when Republicans get back in  numbers more older guys will be able to hunt again in the nice weather. 

• Like 2

No matter to me, since I see the early antlerless gun season  is a go again this year in my home wmu (9F).  Filling the freezer and then some should be a piece of cake this year.  

At least, with this latest crossbow over 55 full- inclusion failure, I won’t have to choose between northern zone ML and southern zone archery.    Hopefully, lots of the Democrats will be jettisoned during the midterms due to the spiraling economy (caused mostly by Biden’s failed energy policy), and we will have better luck getting it thru next year.  It is interesting that the Democrats are anti crossbow across the board.  Why does that not surprise me ?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:47 PM, G-Man said:

This will get passed when they leave restrictions and just want full inclusion,  then they can change restrictions.. politicians  vote this not sportsmen. 

I'll give you the draw weight restriction. 200lb draw weight covers a lot of them but the limb tip to tip width restriction of no less than 17" is obsolete and BS. 75% or so of the available market is under that. even many of the "normal" crossbows that aren't Ravin knockoff designs have an axle to axle of 16-3/4" and that's a shorter measurement than limb tip to tip even. you can say many are available but you're restriction most of an entire industry that's only moving more in that slim width direction.

• Like 1

I'm glad Dan Ladd posted about it. Assembly committee meetings aren't published and in the open like the Senate. Now we know Englebright was a dink and intentionally axed them. For senate, Mannion sponsored crossbow bill, that's in a committee he's a part of that never made it through. i think we're past the 2-minute warning. Next year I guess. until then youth and elderly bowhunters be damned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, land 1 said:

sad thing is that vote had nothing to do with hunting it went right down party lines, 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

No matter to me, since I see the early antlerless gun season  is a go again this year in my home wmu (9F).  Filling the freezer and then some should be a piece of cake this year.  

At least, with this latest crossbow over 55 full- inclusion failure, I won’t have to choose between northern zone ML and southern zone archery.    Hopefully, lots of the Democrats will be jettisoned during the midterms due to the spiraling economy (caused mostly by Biden’s failed energy policy), and we will have better luck getting it thru next year.  It is interesting that the Democrats are anti crossbow across the board.  Why does that not surprise me ?

has nothing to do with the crossbow or that anyone on either side has any knowledge of it.  Democrats arent going to vote for a bill sponsered by the republicans without a trade off, and this bill wasnt important enough to push for the republicans that have hardly any power in Albany already.  Politics as usual on both sides.  

In most every other state, game laws are made by a game dept. like DEC.

Not by a bunch of "brilliant" politicians, who could get lost in a one acre woodlot. 

As mentioned in this thread, "some" older guys on private land, will disregard these "brilliant" lawmakers decision.

Can't blame em. This state is way beyond screwed up.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

In most every other state, game laws are made by a game dept. like DEC.

Not by a bunch of "brilliant" politicians, who could get lost in a one acre woodlot. 

As mentioned in this thread, "some" older guys on private land, will disregard these "brilliant" lawmakers decision.

Can't blame em. This state is way beyond screwed up.

Exactly. Belo don’t like the idea of people doing their own thing but people are so sick of these idiots right now just sucking the life out of people they are going to make their own rules and live by them. You think tags will matter now that meat is so expensive?   People will care less about any harvest numbers. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. Belo don’t like the idea of people doing their own thing but people are so sick of these idiots right now just sucking the life out of people they are going to make their own rules and live by them. You think tags will matter now that meat is so expensive?   People will care less about any harvest numbers. 

I agree. When someone can no longer afford to purchase meat, to put on their family's table. Do think that same person will spend the money to purchase a hunting license?

When a lame governments decisions makes you poorer, you do what you can with what you have. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

unsurprisingly you're still confused by what triggered me with your posts. You're condoning and even promoting it like it's ok. You also referenced multi people with large tracks of amazing land. I highly doubt that any of those folks are hurting for coin. You act like you're robin hood stealing from the rich to give to the poor, but you're more like King Richard and just want to do as you please.

Game laws are in place because we almost wiped out most of our game species with market hunting. That's a fact and not a debate. We created the north american model of conservation so that we could preserve these species to hunt. And not for just you and I, but our children's children. Also fact.

So, sure you can be mad at the government, I'm on that list with you, but because meat costs a little more does not mean we all just start whacking and stacking deer without any regard to conservation. It may be to this date the single handily most irresponsible idea ever shared on this forum.

Ask any public land hunter or small property hunter how they'd feel if the deer disappeared because "well the poor gotta eat". I challenge each and every one of you to really think how'd you feel come fall to find most of the deer gone on your hunting grounds. Would you really, truly be ok with it? Would you have rather donated some meat to the hungry family or maybe pitched in to buy groceries? Cause guess what, if it's as bad as ole sperm collector here says it is, those deer won't be plenty come fall and if you heard shooting all summer long and were ok with it because the price of meat is high... well that's on you.

• Like 1

unsurprisingly you're still confused by what triggered me with your posts. You're condoning and even promoting it like it's ok. You also referenced multi people with large tracks of amazing land. I highly doubt that any of those folks are hurting for coin. You act like you're robin hood stealing from the rich to give to the poor, but you're more like King Richard and just want to do as you please.
Game laws are in place because we almost wiped out most of our game species with market hunting. That's a fact and not a debate. We created the north american model of conservation so that we could preserve these species to hunt. And not for just you and I, but our children's children. Also fact.
So, sure you can be mad at the government, I'm on that list with you, but because meat costs a little more does not mean we all just start whacking and stacking deer without any regard to conservation. It may be to this date the single handily most irresponsible idea ever shared on this forum.
Ask any public land hunter or small property hunter how they'd feel if the deer disappeared because "well the poor gotta eat". I challenge each and every one of you to really think how'd you feel come fall to find most of the deer gone on your hunting grounds. Would you really, truly be ok with it? Would you have rather donated some meat to the hungry family or maybe pitched in to buy groceries? Cause guess what, if it's as bad as ole sperm collector here says it is, those deer won't be plenty come fall and if you heard shooting all summer long and were ok with it because the price of meat is high... well that's on you.

F*ck it, the states letting violent felons walk out of jail and prisons. We have way bigger problems to worry about than joe blow shooting an extra deer with a crossbow during “archery” season.

Most people these days aren’t will to put in the effort to kill 1 deer let alone more than they’re allowed. Unless a large black market for whitetail meat pops up the population won’t be threatened by over hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Ya know I read your post right down to where you said. Just think how you would feel if most deer were gone on your hunting grounds…. Now you picture those people I speak of paying 10-15plus grand a year for taxes only to have some idiot…. Like the ones that voted this down again for no reason…. To be making the laws that are were wiping out all of our small game and knocking the shit out of the turkeys and the deer. All I’m telling you is that it’s happening and it’s going to continue to happen all across this state with these idiots in charge ruining peoples lives in about every aspect. It will continue to get worse. Do I care?  Not a bit. They do them and you do you and I will do me. Period. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

F*ck it, the states letting violent felons walk out of jail and prisons. We have way bigger problems to worry about than joe blow shooting an extra deer with a crossbow during “archery” season.

Most people these days aren’t will to put in the effort to kill 1 deer let alone more than they’re allowed. Unless a large black market for whitetail meat pops up the population won’t be threatened by over hunting.

the state's shitty policies with criminals, guns, social programs, covid etc. have nothing to do with deer regulations. One issue or gripe with a law doesn't mean you can disregard others. "Sorry officer I looted this liquor store because I was mad that a cop shot a black man"... that doesn't slide with most of us right?

Point again, we all know poaching happens. Most of us might look the other way here and there for the right guy down on his luck trying to put meat on the table, but that is rare in NY. Saying it's ok on a public forum is different. Dudes in africa are super poor, so who cares if they're poaching rhinos for money right? bear gall bladders can make a poor man rich too. What if that poached buck was a trophy? What if they trespassed on your land to poach that doe? The list goes on and on and on. 

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Exactly. And people are not going to sit back and let these idiots in charge have any more to do with their lives then they have to. They will do whatever it takes to get thru their day and their lives. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Ya know I read your post right down to where you said. Just think how you would feel if most deer were gone on your hunting grounds…. Now you picture those people I speak of paying 10-15plus grand a year for taxes only to have some idiot…. Like the ones that voted this down again for no reason…. To be making the laws that are were wiping out all of our small game and knocking the shit out of the turkeys and the deer. All I’m telling you is that it’s happening and it’s going to continue to happen all across this state with these idiots in charge ruining peoples lives in about every aspect. It will continue to get worse. Do I care?  Not a bit. They do them and you do you and I will do me. Period. 

so now it's not about the price of meat, but it's because they have to pay 10-15 grand in taxes, so they should be able to do as you please? Which one is it? Poor people sympathy or rich people rights? Can these guys host their own dangerous games too because of those taxes? What level of taxes does one need to pay to just "disregard the lasw"?

15k is nothing compared to what some of us pay btw.

Edited by Belo

1 minute ago, Belo said:

the state's shitty policies with criminals, guns, social programs, covid etc. have nothing to do with deer regulations. One issue or gripe with a law doesn't mean you can disregard others. "Sorry officer I looted this liquor store because I was mad that a cop shot a black man"... that doesn't slide with most of us right?

Point again, we all know poaching happens. Most of us might look the other way here and there for the right guy down on his luck trying to put meat on the table, but that is rare in NY. Saying it's ok on a public forum is different. Dudes in africa are super poor, so who cares if they're poaching rhinos for money right? bear gall bladders can make a poor man rich too. What if that poached buck was a trophy? What if they trespassed on your land to poach that doe? The list goes on and on and on. 

That won’t happen on these lands I can promise you that. It’s all about taking care of your own. 

1 minute ago, Belo said:

so now it's not about the price of meat, but it's because they have to pay 10-15 grand in taxes, so they should be able to do as you please? Which one is it? Poor people sympathy or rich people rights? Can these guys host their own dangerous games too because of those taxes? Which is nothing compared to what some of us pay btw.

Exactly.  So you do you and worry not what others do. You want to let someone shit on something of yours then that’s on you. Others will do what it takes to take care of theirs and their own. If it takes breaking the laws of some idiot in a tie that’s never been in the woods then I can promise you they are ready for any repercussions from such actions. 80’year old bow hunting landowner that has paid taxes on his property his whole life and can no longer pull back a bow wants to take his crossbow on his own property every day of the week…You won’t see me looking to call the Belo cops on him I can promise ya that. 

the deer are not the property of the land owner. game belong to us all, i guess you didn't read anything i posted earlier regarding our model, but it's like i'm talking to a rock at this point but i can't help myself so let me throw this out at you

Recently on a podcast there was a discussion on land access. A gentleman in his 80's wanted the state to put in more access roads so that more land was more accessible to people who were older or disabled. Another man in his 80's stood up and said "F that". I loved being able to access those hard to reach places when I was younger because they were truly special. They were so off grid that there were less hunters and the experience more special because of it. And damn if we should change what was special for him because he can no longer enjoy it and therefore ruin it for the next generation who is in their prime and there for them to enjoy.

I'll remind you that I have for many years promoted crossbows for the disabled and elderly, but I thought that the above was an interesting exchange. 

Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!

I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!

I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!

$60K per buck, not counting the price of the actual land? You should be hunting the 4 sheep species instead!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

the deer are not the property of the land owner. game belong to us all, i guess you didn't read anything i posted earlier regarding our model, but it's like i'm talking to a rock at this point but i can't help myself so let me throw this out at you

Recently on a podcast there was a discussion on land access. A gentleman in his 80's wanted the state to put in more access roads so that more land was more accessible to people who were older or disabled. Another man in his 80's stood up and said "F that". I loved being able to access those hard to reach places when I was younger because they were truly special. They were so off grid that there were less hunters and the experience more special because of it. And damn if we should change what was special for him because he can no longer enjoy it and therefore ruin it for the next generation who is in their prime and there for them to enjoy.

I'll remind you that I have for many years promoted crossbows for the disabled and elderly, but I thought that the above was an interesting exchange. 

Yeah that’s all well and good until it’s not. You make it sound like it does not already happen. You think guys that take care of their property does not shoot yotes every chance givin or destroy dens on their property? Happens a lot. You think people with private land hunt without even buying a license?  Happens a lot… And will even more now. You think Joe up the road does not fill every family member’s tags every year? Happens a lot. People are going to do whatever it takes to take care of them and theirs and even more so now. These idiots turning this crossbow thing down for no reason whatsoever…Except party and probably a payoff from Ny Bow Assoc.. are just a dot on the map of what people are getting sick of. But the good news is your free to do you and you don’t have to worry about what others are doing.  

• Like 2