Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

You are on the right track there Bill, but just a few more tweaks would be good.   First, add a special, statewide “traditional” archery season for deer, starting September 15 where only longbows and recurves could be used, then let the compounds and crossbows in together on Oct 1.

Include regions 8 & 9 in the October 1 reopening of the fall turkey season.  

Reopen statewide spring sucker spearing in the creeks.  That was a sport I loved as a youngster and would like to be able to do it again.  I think they banned it in our local streams around 1990.  

I would like to see a third buck tag, for those who purchase archery, gun, and ML, licenses.  Bucks are a renewable resource, and should be managed for meat not horns.  

The failure of the crossbow expansion this year was a minor setback.  I really wish they would have left out the part about getting rid of the poundage and width restrictions.  That might be what did it in this year.    I am very thankful that we will still be able to use them in my favorite time to hunt deer - the peak two weeks of the rut.  

I thought it might go thru this year, after the momentum of all those great changes that the state made for deer hunters last year, each of which put a deer in my freezer: Early September antlerless gun season, restored antlerless Adirondack ML season, extra half hours of hunting time each day beyond sunrise/sunset, and Holliday ML season.

I see the September early antlerless is already a go for this year.  I am growing tired of turkey hunting, after not even hearing one on my last outing, and I really looking forward to chasing deer again.  I am going to try and get an antlerless deer in September with my crossbow.  

The early sept hunt is a go until local laws ban it..  same as holiday hunt...

On 5/29/2022 at 4:35 AM, G-Man said:

The early sept hunt is a go until local laws ban it..  same as holiday hunt...

I just checked the NY DEC website.  Not only is the early antlerless gun season a go again this year (for the same wmu’s as last year), but so is the Adirondack antlerless ML, the extra half hours of hunting time before and after sunrise/sunset, and the Holliday ML is on again this year.  

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I just checked the NY DEC website.  Not only is the early antlerless gun season a go again this year (for the same wmu’s as last year), but so is the Adirondack antlerless ML, the extra half hours of hunting time before and after sunrise/sunset, and the Holliday ML is on again this year.  

Really takes  months for some to get the job completed. Especially if meat is the only goal. Wonder how some would survive if they lived in those 3-4 week season states. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...