Proposed crossbow legislation for 2022

nyslowhand

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!

I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that’s just what some people in this state are getting together and changing. Takes land no doubt but those that can are taking things into their own hands.               Just as many will put a crossbow in their hands during archery season. Just a fact. 

• Like 1

$60K per buck, not counting the price of the actual land? You should be hunting the 4 sheep species instead!

I have zero desire, I’ve been out west. Only hunt I’ll ever pay to go on will be a moose hunt. That was supposed to be this year but I’m not getting vaccinated so I’ll keep applying for the draws in the states.

Hunting my properties has zero to do with killing a buck. I would rather shoot a 80” buck in the Adirondacks than a 160” on my property. I enjoy seeing deer, other game and working on improving their habitat. I enjoy killing bucks in the Adirondacks.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Yeah that’s all well and good until it’s not. You make it sound like it does not already happen. You think guys that take care of their property does not shoot yotes every chance givin or destroy dens on their property? Happens a lot. You think people with private land hunt without even buying a license?  Happens a lot… And will even more now. You think Joe up the road does not fill every family member’s tags every year? Happens a lot. People are going to do whatever it takes to take care of them and theirs and even more so now. These idiots turning this crossbow thing down for no reason whatsoever…Except party and probably a payoff from Ny Bow Assoc.. are just a dot on the map of what people are getting sick of. But the good news is your free to do you and you don’t have to worry about what others are doing.  

so to be clear, because you seem to be just slinging out reasons on why it's ok to poach.

If I understand this correctly, and apparently I have trouble reading. More people are going to poach now because of democrats and their policies? That a non-full inclusive crossbow policy and other liberal policies is going to cause a revolution and poaching epedemic?

41 minutes ago, Belo said:

so to be clear, because you seem to be just slinging out reasons on why it's ok to poach.

If I understand this correctly, and apparently I have trouble reading. More people are going to poach now because of democrats and their policies? That a non-full inclusive crossbow policy and other liberal policies is going to cause a revolution and poaching epedemic?

Just going to keep the fires burning. This policy getting shot down for the reason it was yes will indeed push some to say F it and carry on. The Democrats killing the rest of the world will also force people to say F it and carry on doing whatever it takes to get them thru their lives easier. And if that is saving money on tags and killing whatever it takes to fill their need then that is just what they are going to do. It’s not like it’s not already done on a daily basis it’s just going to push the rest a little more. To each their own. 

• Like 1

Just going to keep the fires burning. This policy getting shot down for the reason it was yes will indeed push some to say F it and carry on. The Democrats killing the rest of the world will also force people to say F it and carry on doing whatever it takes to get them thru their lives easier. And if that is saving money on tags and killing whatever it takes to fill their need then that is just what they are going to do. It’s not like it’s not already done on a daily basis it’s just going to push the rest a little more. To each their own. 

But these people that need to get by can afford $15k in taxes and not $70 in tags.

You’ve lost me man. Is it political disobedience or poverty? Or just an excuse we’re using to justify poaching?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

But these people that need to get by can afford $15k in taxes and not $70 in tags.

You’ve lost me man. Is it political disobedience or poverty? Or just an excuse we’re using to justify poaching?

People will cut back where they can , there’s guys here who drive 50k trucks ,hauling air , yet drive around looking to save a few pennies on a gallon of gas .

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Can you read? I specifically said “unless a black market for whitetail meat”

That covers your entire last paragraph!

I pay 6,000$ a year in taxes on property just for hunting purposes and I have killed 1 buck in 10 years on it. Why because New York State has our deer seasons so f*cked up! I have had 2 bucks I would kill on camera in those same 10 years. That’s running 20+ cameras 365 days a year and having 90+ days off during deer season.

“Poaching” isn’t going to effect my hunting in any way!

Sounds like you need some habitat work on that property.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Your stuck in the mud on the first part of this whole conversation. Those people have been and will continue to take care of their interests regardless of what others say and these idiots in charge today are now pushing the common folk if you will…To do the same. You know, The ones without all that coin. 

Sounds like you need some habitat work on that property.

It’s been done and is still being done. It’s impossible to keep a buck on 40-100 acre plots. They shot 9 bucks on my neighbors 18 acres.

It’s nearly impossible for a buck to reach maturity when he’s being hunted with a gun for 9 full weeks that includes every minute of the rut in farm country.

• Like 1

It’s been done and is still being done. It’s impossible to keep a buck on 40-100 acre plots. They shot 9 bucks on my neighbors 18 acres.

It’s nearly impossible for a buck to reach maturity when he’s being hunted with a gun for 9 full weeks that includes every minute of the rut in farm country.

Well they lay their taxes and times are tough, so let them mow em all down!

Well they lay their taxes and times are tough, so let them mow em all down!

It wasn’t a complaint, it was an explanation as to why there aren’t shooter bucks “for me” around. They can shoot what they want with what they want when they on the proper they have permission to hunt, that’s between them and the landowner. I

knew when I started buying around here what I was getting into. I’ve lived here all my life minus my time in the military. It’s home and it is what it is. That’s why again poaching won’t affect my hunting in any way.

To me it’s worth the time and cost to watch deer and have the opportunity to kill a buck almost every sit. Last year my daughter hunted for less than 30 minutes between 2 hunts and killed 2 deer. I don’t have a habitat issue.

And that’s just what some people in this state are getting together and changing. Takes land no doubt but those that can are taking things into their own hands.               Just as many will put a crossbow in their hands during archery season. Just a fact. 

Exactly, just as we have done with vermin. We know our lands better than anyone especially some asshat in Albany. I’ll do what’s right and needed for my property and deal with the consequences if I have to.

• Like 3

I'm not meaning to stall out the pissing match, but it's pretty safe to say nobody here is going to knowingly lay waste to the deer to negatively effect hunting in future seasons. Different strokes for different folks in how to go about hunting. lol

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Exactly, just as we have done with vermin. We know our lands better than anyone especially some asshat in Albany. I’ll do what’s right and needed for my property and deal with the consequences if I have to.

Just what happened with our land and many others that took things into their own hands. Some like to say it’s poaching when in the real world it’s taking care of what’s yours. The same ones that think these properties are getting poached or whatever has never hunted properties like these. There is actually small game and game birds. You won’t see that in many numbers on most properties. 

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not impossible but hard.  Sanctuary and thick and nasty  cant see 40 yards. Get a mature buck or two every year to go with 4 to 8 young ones..  

On 5/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, Belo said:

the deer are not the property of the land owner. game belong to us all, i guess you didn't read anything i posted earlier regarding our model, but it's like i'm talking to a rock at this point but i can't help myself so let me throw this out at you

Recently on a podcast there was a discussion on land access. A gentleman in his 80's wanted the state to put in more access roads so that more land was more accessible to people who were older or disabled. Another man in his 80's stood up and said "F that". I loved being able to access those hard to reach places when I was younger because they were truly special. They were so off grid that there were less hunters and the experience more special because of it. And damn if we should change what was special for him because he can no longer enjoy it and therefore ruin it for the next generation who is in their prime and there for them to enjoy.

I'll remind you that I have for many years promoted crossbows for the disabled and elderly, but I thought that the above was an interesting exchange. 

Its all in what you view as " hunting" long distance shots are target practice to me  i like close encounters..   main reason  i do nit see any reason not to have full inclusion.   Ill still hunt same way, as will 99%  of hunters..  

Indians couldnt become a chief untill they could steal something from an enemy..  close and personal with out them catching them..  same holds true in hunting , close is the challange.  

Today is become  how far ,tss shot for turkey, 6.5 creemore,  long shots,  range finders.

Not for me personally  but i allow others to pick and hunt the way they want . 

23 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It wasn’t a complaint, it was an explanation as to why there aren’t shooter bucks “for me” around. They can shoot what they want with what they want when they on the proper they have permission to hunt, that’s between them and the landowner. I

knew when I started buying around here what I was getting into. I’ve lived here all my life minus my time in the military. It’s home and it is what it is. That’s why again poaching won’t affect my hunting in any way.

To me it’s worth the time and cost to watch deer and have the opportunity to kill a buck almost every sit. Last year my daughter hunted for less than 30 minutes between 2 hunts and killed 2 deer. I don’t have a habitat issue.

for discussions sakes though, if you could wave a magic wand, would you stop the slaughtering? 

18 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Just what happened with our land and many others that took things into their own hands. Some like to say it’s poaching when in the real world it’s taking care of what’s yours. The same ones that think these properties are getting poached or whatever has never hunted properties like these. There is actually small game and game birds. You won’t see that in many numbers on most properties. 

you crack me up man. you can justify it all you want, but "some like to say it's poaching". It's the literal definition of poaching.

"some like to take care of what's yours" And for the 15th time in this thread, IT'S NOT YOURS. GAME IS THE PROPERTY OF THE PEOPLE, NOT THE F'N LAND OWNER. 

Jesus, stop trying to dress it up. You've been pretty good so far about just being honest with how you and your buddies feel, but the "times are tough for my buddies with thousands of acres" and "I'm rebelling against the gov't" shit is just sad. You wanna hunt with a crossbow and you're going to do it regardless of the law. Just be done with it there and stop trying to justify it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Its all in what you view as " hunting" long distance shots are target practice to me  i like close encounters..   main reason  i do nit see any reason not to have full inclusion.   Ill still hunt same way, as will 99%  of hunters..  

Indians couldnt become a chief untill they could steal something from an enemy..  close and personal with out them catching them..  same holds true in hunting , close is the challange.  

Today is become  how far ,tss shot for turkey, 6.5 creemore,  long shots,  range finders.

Not for me personally  but i allow others to pick and hunt the way they want . 

I think you're off on the 99%. Many will take longer shots with a crossbow then they will with a compound and there will be more gun hunters that are now first time "archery" hunters who may not be as disciplined as you and most of us on this board. My guess is that it's more like 70% of crossbow hunters will hunt the same way they did or would with a compound. Picking nits I know, but I think it's naïve to think only 1% would change. 

49 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think you're off on the 99%. Many will take longer shots with a crossbow then they will with a compound and there will be more gun hunters that are now first time "archery" hunters who may not be as disciplined as you and most of us on this board. My guess is that it's more like 70% of crossbow hunters will hunt the same way they did or would with a compound. Picking nits I know, but I think it's naïve to think only 1% would change. 

An archery course woyld be required if passed  no grand fathered.. so i dont see longer shots as a thought process as soon as  idiots stop calling them guns...

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

By fixing our season dates, yes.

I'm not sure I understand. You say these guys are just out there slaughtering regardless of law. What would season dates matter to them?

24 minutes ago, G-Man said:

An archery course woyld be required if passed  no grand fathered.. so i dont see longer shots as a thought process as soon as  idiots stop calling them guns...

You think an archery course would drastically change hunter habits? Hell if I had a crossbow without the NY limits I don't see why I wouldn't feel comfortable taking 50 yard shots off my ladder stand rest. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I'm not sure I understand. You say these guys are just out there slaughtering regardless of law. What would season dates matter to them?

You think an archery course would drastically change hunter habits? Hell if I had a crossbow without the NY limits I don't see why I wouldn't feel comfortable taking 50 yard shots off my ladder stand rest. 

If one of your boys wanted to hunt deer with a crossbow would you support that choice ?

I never said they were slaughtering them, I never once mentioned illegal activity by them. I just brought it up as part of the explanation as to why we don’t have shooters around.

3 hours ago, Belo said:

you crack me up man. you can justify it all you want, but "some like to say it's poaching". It's the literal definition of poaching.

"some like to take care of what's yours" And for the 15th time in this thread, IT'S NOT YOURS. GAME IS THE PROPERTY OF THE PEOPLE, NOT THE F'N LAND OWNER. 

Jesus, stop trying to dress it up. You've been pretty good so far about just being honest with how you and your buddies feel, but the "times are tough for my buddies with thousands of acres" and "I'm rebelling against the gov't" shit is just sad. You wanna hunt with a crossbow and you're going to do it regardless of the law. Just be done with it there and stop trying to justify it. 

I don’t need to justify anything. As far as the guys taking care of what’s theirs is not a new idea. They have been doing it for years. As far as the game is concerned, if it’s standing on my property causing damage it is my game to deal with today. All because of some idiot that’s clueless to game makes laws that hurt landowners. As far as the crossbow goes, if I need to use it at anytime to continue to do what I enjoy that would be an easy choice. You can call it poaching or anything else. People are going to call it doing what they gotta do. 

• Like 1