Garden 2022

crappyice

Just started some seeds last week.

Tomatoes- sweet 100, beefsteak, purple

Jalapeño and basil

158f2220e3095b644a8c08c4c9681a3a.jpg

Cucumber(2 types), zucchini squash(green and yellow) beans and some other herbs to be planted directly in the ground later.

I’m also going to try and reseed my very neglected lawn but I’ll save that for the Biz lawn thread if he’s still here after his move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just started some seeds last week.

Tomatoes- sweet 100, beefsteak, purple
Jalapeño and basil

158f2220e3095b644a8c08c4c9681a3a.jpg

Cucumber(2 types), zucchini squash(green and yellow) beans and some other herbs to be planted directly in the ground later.

I’m also going to try and reseed my very neglected lawn but I’ll save that for the Biz lawn thread if he’s still here after his move

I’m right there with ya.

Going real heavy on heirloom tomatoes this year as I want to can lots of salsa and sauce

55cb1af889cbe1987d9270c8bb127bdc.jpg
346d347437b72615f85be6eedd2a3986.jpg
4a9f20f4a42e9d0898f35b024c13bea8.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet I'm going to have to start some seeds soon. You southern NY guys start growing before me up here by the Canadian border. I usually can get stuff planted safely after memorial day weekend. I've started by may 15 before but gotta watch  for Frost and snow. If my starters don't take my neighbor owns a green house so I can always get some stuff if he's not sold out. Last 2 years with covid people took up gardening as a hobby and things went quick.

2nd year at gardening. Tried too much too late in the season last year. 

Built a grow box this year just waiting on my light fixture to arrive on Monday.

The box will be horizontal and 50"x24"x21", should fit (4) 1020 trays with extra room for a few small pots.

Trying (2) potato towers, 1 sweet potato, 1 blue potato

The garden is (3) 3'x6' beds. Did soaker hose last year, which I didn't like much. Going drip line this year.

IMG_20220306_084218.thumb.jpg.7f0f7da1e43917defe2f2c0eede6eb34.jpgIMG_20220302_211651.thumb.jpg.a92bf07805720d811d08f271366a5ec3.jpgIMG_20220302_182441__01.thumb.jpg.4846c7c3243aded6b664be013084522d.jpg

• Like 2

2nd year at gardening. Tried too much too late in the season last year. 
Built a grow box this year just waiting on my light fixture to arrive on Monday.
The box will be horizontal and 50"x24"x21", should fit (4) 1020 trays with extra room for a few small pots.
Trying (2) potato towers, 1 sweet potato, 1 blue potato
The garden is (3) 3'x6' beds. Did soaker hose last year, which I didn't like much. Going drip line this year.
IMG_20220306_084218.thumb.jpg.7f0f7da1e43917defe2f2c0eede6eb34.jpgIMG_20220302_211651.thumb.jpg.a92bf07805720d811d08f271366a5ec3.jpgIMG_20220302_182441__01.thumb.jpg.4846c7c3243aded6b664be013084522d.jpg

I see by your profile pic you like surf fishing… if ur in SENY you may have some fast friends here come spring

I have Asparagus and Celery germinating. Peppers will get started after dinner tonight. 

The big change this year is an eight foot wire garden fence being installed. After two years of fighting with the local deer heard it was time to spend some money on a real fence. 

Okra is a new one for me hope it grows well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Sweet I'm going to have to start some seeds soon. You southern NY guys start growing before me up here by the Canadian border. I usually can get stuff planted safely after memorial day weekend. I've started by may 15 before but gotta watch  for Frost and snow. If my starters don't take my neighbor owns a green house so I can always get some stuff if he's not sold out. Last 2 years with covid people took up gardening as a hobby and things went quick.

Lots of stuff can handle the cold. carrots,greens beets and some others can be planted once the soil gets to the upper 40's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I see by your profile pic you like surf fishing… if ur in SENY you may have some fast friends here come spring

I do enjoy it. I rarely get to go though. Currently stuck fishing the banks of the Hudson come striper season. Years ago I used to fish the Shinnecock Inlet every other day.

I do enjoy it. I rarely get to go though. Currently stuck fishing the banks of the Hudson come striper season. Years ago I used to fish the Shinnecock Inlet every other day.

Fishing the Hudson! That’s exactly what a bunch of us will be doing come April not too far from the TZ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

I have Asparagus and Celery germinating. Peppers will get started after dinner tonight. 

The big change this year is an eight foot wire garden fence being installed. After two years of fighting with the local deer heard it was time to spend some money on a real fence. 

Okra is a new one for me hope it grows well.

I had very good luck with okra last year. It was my first try growing it. We breaded and deep fried it and also. Pickled it dilly style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for Water rat. Zero for ten on brussel sprouts on my first attempt, ten for ten on my second attempt.

Asparagus is suppose to take three years from seed but there are already spears forming I don't understand that.

Peppers are slow to grow this year except for jalapeños they look great!

Screenshot_20220331-181108_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Just for Water rat. Zero for ten on brussel sprouts on my first attempt, ten for ten on my second attempt.

Asparagus is suppose to take three years from seed but there are already spears forming I don't understand that.

Peppers are slow to grow this year except for jalapeños they look great!

Screenshot_20220331-181108_Gallery.jpg

My neighbor mentioned something similar to me regarding asparagus, 1st year do not harvest anything, 2nd year take only 1 cutting, then 3rd year harvest normally. Something to do with letting the plant establish good rooting.

• Like 1