Garden 2022

crappyice

59 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Found this popular YouTube vid which uses a wood frame with string coming down to the plants as a replacement for cages... the plants climb the string. Thinking of trying it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-7RoH_uic

You have to wrap the string around the tomato stems as they grow. The tomatoes themselves don't climb the string,you have to make them. 

We do that in our greenhouse. Make sure your support is sturdy,those tomatoes weigh a lot especially once you add several plants.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:58 AM, corydd7 said:

The big change this year is an eight foot wire garden fence

We did that as we were creating a food plot instead of a garden. I've watched rabbits and deer walk around it multiple times looking for a way in. we enclose everything in wire cages, young fruit trees, willows, etc... anything they can reach. An elderly lady once said to me "They only eat what you pay for". 

20220404_125701[1].jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Unit8R said:

We did that as we were creating a food plot instead of a garden. I've watched rabbits and deer walk around it multiple times looking for a way in. we enclose everything in wire cages, young fruit trees, willows, etc... anything they can reach. An elderly lady once said to me "They only eat what you pay for". 

20220404_125701[1].jpg

How much did the fencing cost?

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

How much did the fencing cost?

Unsure offhand but bought all at Tractor Supply. Rolls of welded wire, posts , the gate and zip ties. It was three years ago so gonna be more now with all the price increases. The garden is 25X25 so can get prices online and do the math. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Unsure offhand but bought all at Tractor Supply. Rolls of welded wire, posts , the gate and zip ties. It was three years ago so gonna be more now with all the price increases. The garden is 25X25 so can get prices online and do the math. Hope that helps.

Sorry , i misundertsood your earlier post. I thought you had fenced off a food plot for deer.

Just sprayed young peach trees for leaf curl.  My "Backyard Fruit Production" book said to do it in April but a Mennonite lady with lots of "street cred" said to do it in March around here... duly noted in the almanac for next year.

20220408_100114[1].jpg

• Like 1

Just sprayed young peach trees for leaf curl.  My "Backyard Fruit Production" book said to do it in April but a Mennonite lady with lots of "street cred" said to do it in March around here... duly noted in the almanac for next year.

1782708987_20220408_1001141.thumb.jpg.804669c55a4f21d58555796fafc10592.jpg
What did you spray for leaf curl? My peach tree gets it every year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Otto said:

What did you spray for leaf curl?

Well I'm a newbee and your question proves it. I researched my Fruit Tree Spray (shown below) and seems we needed something else as explained here https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/peach/peach-leaf-curl.htm

Also https://bonide.com/disease/peach-leaf-curl/  gotta do some research and feel we are late again. Hope some guru enlightens us. Thanks for asking and the wake up!

20220408_145436[1].jpg

6 hours ago, Unit8R said:

Well I'm a newbee and your question proves it. I researched my Fruit Tree Spray (shown below) and seems we needed something else as explained here https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/peach/peach-leaf-curl.htm

Also https://bonide.com/disease/peach-leaf-curl/  gotta do some research and feel we are late again. Hope some guru enlightens us. Thanks for asking and the wake up!

20220408_145436[1].jpg

Yes, the Fruit Tree Spray does not work for leaf curl.  I’m pretty sure the answer will be Copper Spray.  I always forget to do it before they leaf out and then they leaf out in a hurry and its’ too late.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Otto said:

Yes, the Fruit Tree Spray does not work for leaf curl

Bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSULSHA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is organic approved and applicable right up to harvest which gives me doubts but will keep me alive to fight another year, and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BX4RNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is oil and used when dormant (again next year). Good luck!

• Like 1

Another 15 transplants today. Okra was probably planted to early but everything else is doing well. 

Garlic is coming along nicely, the elephant garlic is already the size of a baseball. I had one clove coming threw the soil so I buried it a bit.

Screenshot_20220409-144532_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

First year using grow lights and things look pretty good

2d3896a0f17e504b715eecbdb24fcb8f.jpg

Seems like some of my basil (far right of pic) is getting a little burned and not growing - my jalapeños look so much better already, but they too seem a touch brown.

Does that mean too much light? I turn them in at 6:00am and off at 10:00pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Best looking seedling I’ve ever had
936667585adfe46cbc0ed256bb87ef30.jpg
Tomato may need another transfer soon.
Picked up 10 bags of garden bed soil. May work that in today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for a food plot consultation company startup?

On 4/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, G-Man said:

Got boxes full of soil and ready to plant.. peas go in next week20220408_121642.thumb.jpg.e54c80628436919466a38d70c90c8675.jpg20220408_122217.thumb.jpg.1c171923b25cdada9095fb5f578943a7.jpg20220408_121647.thumb.jpg.b328fb02936854a5fd50860d302411c5.jpgneed to get going on other two but have had cars issues to fix. Hopefully I get them done my mid may and planted..

What type of lumber did you use? I've heard of people using larch for their rot resistance. 

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

What type of lumber did you use? I've heard of people using larch for their rot resistance. 

Larch, and black locust for bottom boards.  I have some red cedar left from my grandfathers estate I plan on using on next 2 , until I can get some more larch cut up  later this year when I'm on vacation

Got my last 2 garden boxes assembled and filled ready to plant..   now if weather would break.  Hopefully after this weekend. 20220416_161653.thumb.jpg.f3023ebbfc40b45dc79370d50ede3f35.jpg

these two are cedar sides, larch legs and bottoms with  pressure treated reinforced underneath  as width is 3ft ..  only 10 in  deep as that all the leftover cedar boards i had.. 

• Like 2

Anyone have a recommendation for organic grass liner/barrier? I'm doing garden beds this year with untreated pine. They are going over current grass and rather than dig it all up, id rather just lay something and put fresh organic soil over it. thanks