Garden 2022

crappyice

54 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Anyone have a recommendation for organic grass liner/barrier? I'm doing garden beds this year with untreated pine. They are going over current grass and rather than dig it all up, id rather just lay something and put fresh organic soil over it. thanks

Can use saw dust, wood shavings, ect but need to watch phbas they will lower it.  Straw in a layer will also work. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone have a recommendation for organic grass liner/barrier? I'm doing garden beds this year with untreated pine. They are going over current grass and rather than dig it all up, id rather just lay something and put fresh organic soil over it. thanks

Go to Home Depot and buy marble chips for $2.50 a bag it will help with drainage too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Got the raspberries in a good place after thinning, compost and mulch (and weeding!). They suffered last year with all the rain (never watered the garden once) as they don't like "wet feet". Hopefully better this year! Nothing like coming off stand during archery season and hitting the patch in the warm sun.

1273962687_20220428_1213561.thumb.jpg.126cd4b0acae7fc1fec05caeb95ce74a.jpg

• Like 2

Wish I could harden my plants off a bit more but this wind is killing me. 

Sunday I plan on putting some okra, eggplant and peppers in the ground. My jalapeños are already producing flowers in their solo cups so it's time to get them in the ground. 

Garlic is handling the cold so far, I'm hoping tonight is the last frost for me.

54 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Between chicken run /coop and the raised garden beds you are dropping some serious time and money living off the land.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Don't let @Chef fool you. He hires guys on Main Street to do all the work. He just walks out there and grabs his eggs

Picked up cherry tomato, tomato, and pepper plants today while at Lowes for flowers. They will stay in the shed window for a bit but figured get them while there. Got some different peppers to try. Like a small bell but have a little heat.(sweet heat) 5f4e1c5dee4c5fc86f74857a65454c5c.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Cool stuff. Chef,Carlos, have you guys ever grown this way, versus straight into the ground?

Doing about 800 square foot of mostly potato and would like to see the difference between into the ground vs some other techniques. 

This only my 2nd year trying potatoes, 1st year with the tower.

In reading online it seems the towers are more for space savings and easy collection purposes than higher yields.

Right now there are roughly 1ft between each layer of potatoes. The towers are about 2ft wide so they can grow inwards as well. I expect smaller potatoes overall but don't really know.

I have also seen towers where you plant just inn the center and fill the tower as the plant grows so you would have a really long/tall plant beneath the soil.

potato-tower.jpg

potato-towers-results-DIY-planters-how-to-grow-potatoes-vertical-wood-box-wire-cage-straw-mound-bags-plant-harvest-yeild-best-vegetable-gardening-ideas-apieceofrainbow-3-684x1024.jpg