Garden 2022

crappyice

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Mine is similar. They dug under it. 

I stake like every 12-18". Last year I bought cheap bricks/pavers from HD and laid them on top of mesh around

Edited by BizCT

Great to see some early collecting of veggies. Garlic didn't perform near as well as last year but I have garlic. Weeds definitely suppressed the bulb size. 

I still have about 60 cloves to pull. My first tiny celery stalks were cut and I missed an okra somehow yesterday. 

20220630_182604.jpg

From yesterday morning till last night I lost 2 more. So down to 3 of 9 peppers I just bought lol. I'm now in full blown warfare. I have sprinkled some of that "deterrent" that is supposed to bother their noses. I also sprinkled straight up poison. If I lose this battle I'm giving up for the year unless they start messing with growing cucumbers or squash. Then I'll go to phase 3. 

I have a woodchuck under the shed . 10 feet from the garden . Eradication actions  will begin . Flea beetles on the bruslesprouts.  Have a virus on my zukes and summers. Going to be a tough year. Garlic looks good . Cut  a big basket  of scapes last Friday that went into freezer. Have been sick for a week and the garden looks a wreck. Had family water while I was in the hospital but with the heat it didn't get done long enough or often enough.  Watered a good watering tonight and if I'm up to it I will spray  for beetles  in the am . Then I will be on watch for the little bastige under  the shed.

Another day another dollar. German hardy garlic is the winner so far as far as bulb size. Jalapeños are huge I want to trim so of the larger ones so branches don't break if this storm hits in a couple hours. 

Finally have some green tomatoes but they are going to take some time. 

I got a little light headed so I'm taking a break them back out to harvest the elephant garlic. Tomorrow I'll till up the garlic area and plant melons or sunflowers.

20220702_140143.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

Another day another dollar. German hardy garlic is the winner so far as far as bulb size. Jalapeños are huge I want to trim so of the larger ones so branches don't break if this storm hits in a couple hours. 

Finally have some green tomatoes but they are going to take some time. 

I got a little light headed so I'm taking a break them back out to harvest the elephant garlic. Tomorrow I'll till up the garlic area and plant melons or sunflowers.

You harvested garlic already?

I'm thinking mine has another 3 weeks or so as the leaves haven't really started to brown . 

Mine were very brown, if anything I waited a few days to long for one variety. I still have 25 cloves (one row) to pull. Last year I pulled them on July 4th as well. 

My fault for not doing better with weeds this year bulbs would have been bigger. I'm in Orange County so weather might be different. 

Screenshot_20220702-161711_Gallery.jpg

Wtf?
Yellow squash stopped growing and rotted at the "flower end?
Why?

f9a53220f8dc5c45a2a16e7cfa37555a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve harvested 4 green zucchini so far but no yellows. Tons of flowers? First time trying yellows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Wtf?
Why?

Could be a lack of calcium in the soil. There’s a spray on the market for that problem but I forget the name of it. Blossom end rot is a common problem with zucchini / squash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I do water each day- not crazy amounts but a good sprinkling since the tomatoes
Seems to need it. I don't think they get enough Sun- that plus possibly
Too Much water maybe?

Ive always read a deep watering 2-3 times per week is better for growth. I try to water as is little as possible, but if its a 3-4 day stretch of no rain i'll do a 45 minute watering session

• Like 1

My soil does a great job at retaining moisture. I haven't watered all year and just took a walk all looks well. Very surprised I expected to break out the hoses this week.

Same as Biz said I would do a deep watering twice a week instead of watering everyday but my plants are straight in the ground so it's a bit different. 

• Like 2

Wtf?
Why?

Lack of calcium in your soil… it is called blossom end rot… happens to tomatoes too

• Like 1

Could be a lack of calcium in the soil. There’s a spray on the market for that problem but I forget the name of it. Blossom end rot is a common problem with zucchini / squash.

He can do that, or just put down some tomato tone fertilizer. Do that and pour a gallon of milk instead of water next time he waters

• Like 1

For years I added amendments to my soil to combat blossom end rot. Some years worse than ever.  Soil tests proved i didnt have a deficiency. A few years ago I read an article that fixed my problem . Inconsistent watering.  When a plant gets stressed  the little hairs on the roots are the first to be damaged. These root hairs are responsible for taking up nutrients from the soil. I now mulch heavy  water each plant with a wand  every night unless we get a good rain . If its a long stretch of heat and no rain I water a good heavey  soaking. The article  stated that for the most part farms need to replace nutrients because of over working the land . Also stated that there is no real deficiency  in the soil for most of the continent. 

Has worked for me . I still fertilize  and lyme. 

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1