Garden 2022

crappyice

39 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Should have went with organic soil like me!

we have good compost and soil. Unfortunately my beds don't start getting light till a little after noon. Unless I want to cut down a giant maple that also provides some nice shade by the pool, I'm pretty SOL for spots. 

• Like 1

And the woes continue for me - oddly "growing" tomatoes on pretty healthy looking plants.

3cb400e52d236ee925275d7f27e06668.jpg

I'm guessing my soil needs an overhaul of nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of tomato is that? That isn’t all that uncommon and they will eat fine

What type of tomato is that? That isn’t all that uncommon and they will eat fine

Some kind of "black/purple" variety- I wasn't really paying attention
bddf2854c1b5b2cea47744bfe611b949.jpg
Everything is getting a shot of this today!

Well guess I have more critters than I thought. 2 chucks ,2 chipmunks and a vole. Chucks with 22. I chipmunk with pellet pistol,one chipmunk and vole with good old victor rat trap.  Going scorched earth on vermin this year . Added a small box trap to the mix today.

Found where the chipmunks are digging around the foundation of house.  I  won't  have it .

• Like 1

Some kind of "black/purple" variety- I wasn't really paying attention
bddf2854c1b5b2cea47744bfe611b949.jpg
Everything is getting a shot of this today!

No good too high in nitrogen go to Home Depot and buy tomato tone

Garlic harvest this morning . 86 bulbs  2 varieties.  Not sure what the first is as I bought them at local garden place . Just listed them as hard neck or soft.  Planted the biggest  bulbs from last years crop. The other is german garlic gifted me by daughter. They grew really well .20220710_103923.thumb.jpg.d5c1bcdc5be640662c3cc7bf27dad51f.jpggolf ball for comparisons. 

20220710_103806.jpg

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 3

Here’s an inexpensive way to deal with blossom end rot. Just crush up one TUM into powder form ( hammer it inside a zip lock bag ) , empty the powder into a watering can and add one gallon of water. Then water your vegetable plant with it. It instantly adds calcium to your plant and is also a preventative measure.

• Like 2

Picked 4 more zucchini and 3 yellow squash. Yellow squash are ripening small dont know what's up with that . Watered hard again tonight as you can't count on rain although they are calling for some tomorrow. Nothing on local news but we are in a drought for sure. Lawn has burned up and haven't mowed in 3 weeks . 

More frustration
1b70a34e951a1852d7009ae6cf6fefb3.jpg

Beautiful tomato plant....with ZERO flowers
1174f981beddf5b5c1167c1ea6850bae.jpg

And one yellow squash that may make the grill....enter the chipmunk tonight!!!

49a7d72bd93f07f11c7ebe69a627a382.jpg

Looks like powdery mildew on the squash… I am having that same weird leaf curl on some of my tomatoes I’m pissed I believe it could be a virus

More frustration
1b70a34e951a1852d7009ae6cf6fefb3.jpg

Beautiful tomato plant....with ZERO flowers
1174f981beddf5b5c1167c1ea6850bae.jpg

And one yellow squash that may make the grill....enter the chipmunk tonight!!!

49a7d72bd93f07f11c7ebe69a627a382.jpg

Watering that close to
The house would terrify me. Where did you get the plants from or are they from Your garage seeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 minutes ago, Chef said:

Looks like powdery mildew on the squash… I am having that same weird leaf curl on some of my tomatoes I’m pissed I believe it could be a virus

Quick searchScreenshot_20220711-212658_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47e807fd5de0967b36c4c2d7a186e66f.jpg

Edited by Nytracker

7 hours ago, Nytracker said:

we are in a drought for sure

I've been bringing 8 gallons of city water a day up to my lady's house where garden and fruit trees are. No well problems yet but there will be soon enough. The trees are youngish and well mulched so a gallon every 3 days should do the trick.

Finally won the war with Japanese beetles humping on my cherry trees, unsure if they are just done or the spraying did it.

We puree basil with olive oil (2/3 pesto) and put in ice cube trays to freeze, then out of trays into freezer bag for winter basil. 

Nice. I’ve been plucking 2 cups a week so make pesto and eat it with shrimp & pasta usually one night a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I'm not on Biz level but I harvested my first zucchini of the year. Carrots fell over needing water, brussel sprouts are waist high but same as last year bugs ate a couple up in two days. Hopefully watering carrots saves them and throwing DE saves sprouts.

For the good news, I have endless peppers that are loving the heat same with okra. I have jalapeños and Hungarian wax peppers turning red which is cool. Not having to worry about the deer I feel comfortable letting the peppers fully ripen. 

Cukes are slowwwwwwww this year what the hell! 

Ran soaker hoses for three hours today as of course the weather wuss was wrong again and we received zero rain. 

Melons that I started from seed last week are taking off quick.

• Like 3