Garden 2022

crappyice

Nice chef! Shishito peppers are heavy producers and simple to cook. Next year I will grow them again. 

It’s amazing how much they produce. It’s funny because one out of 500 is supposed to be spicy. This year for me it’s been one out of five and I’m loving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a tough year for sweetcorn.  Last year, my earliest planting was the best.  I tried the same variety this this year (cappuccino) and if was a complete loss.  Between the weeds, the drought, and the coons and possums, I didn’t get a single ear.  

Hopefully, my later planting will do better.  It would be nice to get some for fresh eating and for the freezer.  The last planting was the (4) rows in the foreground, (2) rows of 83 day “Kandy corn” and (2) rows of 92 day “Silver queen”. 

The Kandy corn is starting to put on some ears, I am getting the coons and possums under control, and the weeds in it are not nearly as bad.  As long as we get a little rain, over the next few weeks, it should do ok.

F900DC82-5564-41A5-9556-65B32DE22628.thumb.jpeg.0ebb28e1cf54ca46d17f437dd943dbec.jpeg

9 hours ago, Chef said:

Gotta ask how many cucumber plants do you have that you are grabbing that in one day… I have 2 and I am getting 3-5 a day?

Not sure what kind but its 4 plants . 2 varieties. I haven't picked in 4 days so they were loaded up pretty good . Picked everything in the patch to make pickles. .will be better part of a week before I pick again. Made a couple jars of gerkins so all my small stuff is gone .

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Just made some garlic jalapeño pickles myself. I usually handle spicy very well but jalapeños are so hot this year I started to sweat just cutting up two yesterday. 

20220813_173238.jpg

I personally  don't partake in the jalapeños.  Thay are for the boys. Never warmed up to jalapeños as I find them very bitter. Hungarian  hot wax are more to my liking.  I don't grow  hot peppers  any more. Just the wife and I in the house now.  The jalapeños are from my uncles garden . Swapped  garlic for the peppers. 

My pickles are a cold pack . Grandmother's recipe.  She called them sun dills. We add a couple wild grape leaves for crispness and of course dill sprigs .

• Like 1

I personally  don't partake in the jalapeños.  Thay are for the boys. Never warmed up to jalapeños as I find them very bitter. Hungarian  hot wax are more to my liking.  I don't grow  hot peppers  any more. Just the wife and I in the house now.  The jalapeños are from my uncles garden . Swapped  garlic for the peppers. 
My pickles are a cold pack . Grandmother's recipe.  She called them sun dills. We add a couple wild grape leaves for crispness and of course dill sprigs .

Nice so you essentially make lacto fermented pickles. I do the same. Bay leaves work very well to crisp as well