Garden 2022

crappyice

9 hours ago, BizCT said:

So I’m good? I read soil needs to moderate and it’s still 90+ air temps this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maybe down there might be.  Up here i would def say its too late.  60 days minimum puts you at the end of october and we will def have frost by then here.  For a late season crop i would do green onions or swisschard.  But why not try it.  Worst that happens is your out a pack of $2 seeds.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

maybe down there might be.  Up here i would def say its too late.  60 days minimum puts you at the end of october and we will def have frost by then here.  For a late season crop i would do green onions or swisschard.  But why not try it.  Worst that happens is your out a pack of $2 seeds.  

Thanks. Maybe I just shut it down in september instead. 1 less thing to worry about lol

My favorite part of growing tomatoes.  Four quarts of Roma tomatoes. Braising lamb shank tomorrow so I didn't pressure can one quart. 

I braise lots of meats fall and winter so hopefully I get 10 quarts. Anyone who grows tomatoes should try this. Easy and it doesn't require a pressure canner. 

20220823_180103.jpg

• Like 2

My favorite part of growing tomatoes.  Four quarts of Roma tomatoes. Braising lamb shank tomorrow so I didn't pressure can one quart. 
I braise lots of meats fall and winter so hopefully I get 10 quarts. Anyone who grows tomatoes should try this. Easy and it doesn't require a pressure canner. 
20220823_180103.thumb.jpg.c5fe038d1d5e7ae08a2e64b134963024.jpg

Should try what?!?
I'm confused and curious!
you didn't pressure can 1 (implies you did the other 3) but your process is "easy and doesn't require a Pressure canner."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry my fault. I hate my pressure canner because one day I will blow myself up. I simply boiled the tomatoes in a sterile jar for 85 minutes. Way more time but safe and my wife didn't ask me every five minutes if everything was OK. The jar I put in the fridge wasn't boiled at all just removed the skin and placed in a jar.

I think your the guy who loves cowboy candy?  That's up next.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

20220823_180103.jpg

I'll be canning tomatoes here soon. Try to do 50 quarts between what I get out of garden and buy in bulk from local farms. Roma's are best more tomato less juice. I use my pressure canner for canning hardest part is waiting to cool down to do more batches.

• Like 1

I'll be canning tomatoes here soon. Try to do 50 quarts between what I get out of garden and buy in bulk from local farms. Roma's are best more tomato less juice. I use my pressure canner for canning hardest part is waiting to cool down to do more batches.

My asst football coach was just bitching that a bushel of Romas are up to $35 from $18 2 years ago and $28 last year. He and his whole family do 10 bushels a year or something ridiculous

Sorry my fault. I hate my pressure canner because one day I will blow myself up. I simply boiled the tomatoes in a sterile jar for 85 minutes. Way more time but safe and my wife didn't ask me every five minutes if everything was OK. The jar I put in the fridge wasn't boiled at all just removed the skin and placed in a jar.

I think your the guy who loves cowboy candy?  That's up next.

I just did a "quick refrigerator pickle" of jalapeño last weekend. Took the time to remove a bunch of the seeds and veins - removed too many as now my boys are slamming them everyday on sandwiches

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

My asst football coach was just bitching that a bushel of Romas are up to $35 from $18 2 years ago and $28 last year. He and his whole family do 10 bushels a year or something ridiculous

Seen them for $22 but I'm sure there going up with supply and demand. Lots of people I know are stocking up. Thanks for informing me I will let you know what they are up here. Sure different farms different prices.

This was popular last year on Tic Tock.  My daughter made for us a couple of times because it is so simple to do and very delicious.  
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a35421563/baked-feta-pasta-tiktok/

Fantastically simple and sent to Mama Crappy...with the task of changing the cheese from Feta(not a fan). Maybe a "dried" mozzarella
We made pizza sauce last year but the skins were annoying and needed a long cook to get the moisture right

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Fantastically simple and sent to Mama Crappy...with the task of changing the cheese from Feta(not a fan). Maybe a "dried" mozzarella
We made pizza sauce last year but the skins were annoying and needed a long cook to get the moisture right

Use Salted Riccotta instead.  But try the feta, not overpowering once baked.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Get them in by the start of September and I bet you get a crop....no frost until November here (according to my notes that I don't keep).

when I googled it said 10/14. These work? https://www.amazon.com/Purely-Organic-Heirloom-Carrot-Scarlet/dp/B08YS9P2H3/ref=asc_df_B08YS9P2H3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532859556718&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15616466075664402402&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003431&hvtargid=pla-1429541989569&psc=1

and then plant them and rip out my zuchnini and tomatoes or they can stay?

Edited by BizCT

carrot seeds are $2 a packet , prob on clearance now for .99. Plant em and see what happens - why not?.  They wont need any attention so easy peasy.  

Because he is afraid. You are talking to a man who won’t go ice fishing for fear he would get sea sick

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

Because he is afraid. You are talking to a man who won’t go ice fishing for fear he would get sea sick

I'm in his corner on ice fishing.  Been a few times and def thought it sucked each time.  Much rather have the fish fry at the legion then be out there on some ice. Ice fishing is the Lacrosse of the outdoor sports. 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm in his corner on ice fishing.  Been a few times and def thought it sucked each time.  Much rather have the fish fry at the legion then be out there on some ice. Ice fishing is the Lacrosse of the outdoor sports. 

lol what's wrong with lacrosse? 

3 hours ago, Chef said:

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

carrot seeds are $2 a packet , prob on clearance now for .99. Plant em and see what happens - why not?.  They wont need any attention so easy peasy.  

See above I bought them last night. I move a lot faster than you guys. Do I need to rip out the tomatoes and zuchinni first? or just throw the carrots seeds in as is?

Edited by BizCT