Garden 2022

crappyice

Didn’t plant a vegetable garden this year, but I’m starting to get a lot of figs and peaches. Should be getting grapes any minute.

For those of you who didn’t grow up with figs, always look for these “stretch marks” on the side of the figs. That’s how you know it was ripened in the actual tree. Figs picked too early won’t taste good at all. They won’t get anymore sugar. The marks let you know that it had the maximum amount of sugar. You can see the marks in two of the close ups pics f8eed100b05e35674993c605e2787d28.jpg

ba8c70341dc9787cac6aa098d00f3afc.jpg
fb32766842b298dd39e89788828e69fd.jpg
7043a91b551558ca51dff1305b38a3c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Didn’t plant a vegetable garden this year, but I’m starting to get a lot of figs and peaches. Should be getting grapes any minute.

For those of you who didn’t grow up with figs, always look for these “stretch marks” on the side of the figs. That’s how you know it was ripened in the actual tree. Figs picked too early won’t taste good at all. They won’t get anymore sugar. The marks let you know that it had the maximum amount of sugar. You can see the marks in two of the close ups pics f8eed100b05e35674993c605e2787d28.jpg

ba8c70341dc9787cac6aa098d00f3afc.jpg
fb32766842b298dd39e89788828e69fd.jpg
7043a91b551558ca51dff1305b38a3c9.jpg

Wow. What do you do with them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Wow. What do you do with them all?

We eat as much as we can (you cant eat as many as you think you can), give away to the people I like and then we make jam out of the rest. This is only the beginning, ill have probably 10 times this 

• Like 1

We eat as much as we can (you cant eat as many as you think you can), give away to the people I like and then we make jam out of the rest. This is only the beginning, ill have probably 10 times this 

Nice. I figured jam. It’s great with cheese & crackers

• Like 1

Def great for that, but we actually use it to bake with it since we get so much

How do you control the ants? Our neighbor had a beautiful fig tee and would give us bowlfuls but they were often loaded with ants especially when they were perfectly ripe of course

How do you control the ants? Our neighbor had a beautiful fig tee and would give us bowlfuls but they were often loaded with ants especially when they were perfectly ripe of course

There’s ways to help stop ants from getting in the trees, but the effectiveness depends on a number of factors. Best bet is to put the figs in the fridge and cutting them open before you eat them. The cold will make the ant go dormant and you can pick it out. Sometimes I don’t even look and just eat it. I’ve eaten worse than a few ants in my life

• Like 2

You're welcome to have some if I see you anytime this month
I have a tree that has purple figs. It is from a cutting of a tree my grandfather had in his greenhouse. My tree is loaded this year!
I've love to have one of the green figs. Are they as sweet as the purple? Any way I could get a cutting?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

I have a tree that has purple figs. It is from a cutting of a tree my grandfather had in his greenhouse. My tree is loaded this year!
I've love to have one of the green figs. Are they as sweet as the purple? Any way I could get a cutting?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

So what you guys cant tell is I actually have 4 types of figs in this pic. Ill cut them open tonight so you can see some of the differences. As far as sweetness, it all depends on time of the year. I'm not sure if you get a late spring batch of figs (usually around mid-late June), but the purple is usually sweeter around that time. However in late summer the green fig is actually much sweeter. Of the 3 verities of green fig, two have a red center like the picture and one actually has a yellow center. The yellow centered fig actually has a much calmer sweetness. It reminds me of honey actually. You're more than welcome to have as many cuttings as you want. I don't prune until April so you'd have to wait until then. We can discuss the logistics when the time comes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Frost warning here tonight . Calling for 39F. We live in a bowl and we tend to get a little cooler . Picked out tomatoes tonight . Leaving alot of green ones to the frost. Picked a bunch of peppers and covered them . All thats left is the peppers,bruslesprouts, and Butternut squash. 
20220915_191941.thumb.jpg.f0a1bb37e610debdef446112fc015485.jpg
20220915_191909.thumb.jpg.7313a96da02e2f00534b844a57ce6fd7.jpg

Wow that’s the a ton. 86° here Saturday. I see some green grass looking stuff, I guess my carrots took

11 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Frost warning here tonight . Calling for 39F. We live in a bowl and we tend to get a little cooler . Picked out tomatoes tonight . Leaving alot of green ones to the frost. Picked a bunch of peppers and covered them . All thats left is the peppers,bruslesprouts, and Butternut squash. 

20220915_191941.jpg

20220915_191909.jpg

Great haul! What are you doing with all of them? Canning tomatoes salsa spaghetti sauce? Peppers. Mine didn't even blossom. Being chewed on by deer don't help. I got a few tomatoes from garden but blight struck again. Great year for you congrats 

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Great haul! What are you doing with all of them? Canning tomatoes salsa spaghetti sauce? Peppers. Mine didn't even blossom. Being chewed on by deer don't help. I got a few tomatoes from garden but blight struck again. Great year for you congrats 

We have already  canned sauce and crushed tomatoes. Wife wants to try a new recipe for sauce  so she will do some more sauce.  Gave my sister a bushel plus 3 weeks ago. My uncles plants blighted so I will give him what he wants . With the sudden influx of rain I lost alot of tomatoes  too splitting..

I will slice up the smaller peppers and freeze.  The stuffers I will  blanch and freeze for stuffed peppers. 

4 hours ago, Nytracker said:

We have already  canned sauce and crushed tomatoes. Wife wants to try a new recipe for sauce  so she will do some more sauce.  Gave my sister a bushel plus 3 weeks ago. My uncles plants blighted so I will give him what he wants . With the sudden influx of rain I lost alot of tomatoes  too splitting..

I will slice up the smaller peppers and freeze.  The stuffers I will  blanch and freeze for stuffed peppers. 

Sounds like a great plan. I do the same thing with peppers. Easy prep. 

110 jalapeños from then other day - most getting jarred and about 30 getting stuffed and frozen as poppers
b3fbd94cc0db13bb5a8c12870f92dae9.jpg

I hope to get another 50 or so before totally done.

The rat if they garden is shot so I may be ripping it out during the various half times
Today. SO MANy green tomatoes that never turned.

What do y'all do with your green tomatoes if you don't just Chuck them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

110 jalapeños from then other day - most getting jarred and about 30 getting stuffed and frozen as poppers

The rat if they garden is shot so I may be ripping it out during the various half times

Nice hall on jalapenos. With our green tomatoes. We have fried green tomatoes. We also make green tomato relish which is delicious. Also heard to put green tomatoes in paper bag with a red apple and they'll ripen. The green tomato relish is like a hotdog relish. People are always asking us for a jar or recipe.

• Like 1

Why not just leave the tomato plants in they will still turn

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/2-ways-to-have-fresh-tomatoes-this-winter/
try the second method in link I like to wrap them individually.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH