Garden 2022

crappyice

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Picked from 1 plant - none of its tomatoes ever turned red.
8a5bf1733e70f8c93ca6072f3a2f01f9.jpg
Good use of Outdoor News
106c6fca591923facedfd0c676c3f31c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you wrap them in paper?

Too ripen mine, I keep them on trays on my patio in full sun and they turn in a couple, not sure about the fully green ones,  but some that had a tinge of yellow turned red in no time at all.

38 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Why did you wrap them in paper?

Too ripen mine, I keep them on trays on my patio in full sun and they turn in a couple, not sure about the fully green ones,  but some that had a tinge of yellow turned red in no time at all.

It keeps them from turning red as fast, so you have garden tomatoes longer in to fall/winter.

5 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Just picked my last 2 watermelons. Brussel sprouts still need time unlike NYtracker mine are still small even though I started them inside from seed in March! 

Lots of peppers and butternut squash is close.

My bruslesprouts  have exploded with the cooler temps and all the rain in the last few weeks . They are 40 plus inches tall and tons of fresh growth. 

• Like 1

Two years in a row I get tiny black bugs that eat the leaves. I throw de everytime I can but they are tough.  

Not sure what I can do to stop them. It almost makes me want to stop growing them do to length of season, space required and amount they produce. 

My plants are the same size as yours. I'll take pictures soon and would love your advice, as your garden produces amazing results. 

43 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Two years in a row I get tiny black bugs that eat the leaves. I throw de everytime I can but they are tough.  

Not sure what I can do to stop them. It almost makes me want to stop growing them do to length of season, space required and amount they produce. 

My plants are the same size as yours. I'll take pictures soon and would love your advice, as your garden produces amazing results. 

Flea Beatles are common problem . You have to spray for them . I use seven insecticide  . Spray every 7 days to break the life cycle for 4 weeks and then spray as needed when they return. It won't eradicate them for good but will slow them down.

• Like 1

With frost potential Sunday,  Monday,Tuesday  and Fri  this next week has me planning my garden for next year. I think I'm pulling the rest of the garden this week. I have made arrangements for my BIL to drop a dump trailer of manure so I can get it tilled in after I pull this years fabric. I will till in all the straw I used  for mulch after any crop residue from this year is removed . In about 2 weeks I will put a bag of lime on the garden . This will set the micro organisms up for a grand buffet for the fall and spring.

As my gramps use to say a great beginning starts with a greater ending to the garden season.

Rotating my garlic patch to the other end of the garden. Even after harvesting almost 90 cloves of garlic the wife says I need more. We used quite a bit of garlic making pickles and she is planning on canning alot of venison , should I get a couple of deer.

Edited by Nytracker

On 8/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, BizCT said:

Carrots are in but my daughter helped so definitely way too many thrown down.

cceccea3267831c228280a4453e65eee.jpg
56f02cdd475cb8581c2de23a541ad8bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

threw the carrot seeds down 8/26. When do I dig for them to see if any took? Lowest temp in next 8 days is 40 maybe saturday and the highest is 73 thursday and friday.

threw the carrot seeds down 8/26. When do I dig for them to see if any took? Lowest temp in next 8 days is 40 maybe saturday and the highest is 73 thursday and friday.

Pic of the garden? Any carrot greens above the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk