Garden 2022

crappyice

I had a number of problems with my garden (I mostly just grow sweetcorn) and lawn this past year and I thought of a simple solution to most of them .  The hardest part was getting my wife to sign off on it, but I managed to do it.  The plan will go into effect next April.

List of problems:

1) It took a long time for the ground way out back to dry up last spring, so I was late with my spring garden tillage.

2) Heavy spring rains made the lawn around the house grow like crazy, taking lots of my time to mow it, that I could have otherwise used on getting the garden ready.

3) Our front lawn is very rough, multiplying the above problem, forcing me to drive slower with the lawnmower, taking even more time for that task.

4) Summer drought, weeds and coons destroyed most of my early sweetcorn plantings. 

5) I cant get our kids or my wife to help with the garden way out back, and it is pain for me to check coon traps back there. 

The plan:

Next April, I will plow and disk most of our front yard.  There I will plant our early sweetcorn.  We usually finish picking that in Early August.  Having it close to the house will make it easy to irrigate with a hose, in case we get another June drought, and I should be able to get the wife and kids out there hoeing and harvesting.

That ground is well drained, so early spring plowing will be easy, regardless of how much rain we get.  That will also cut way down on all of the grass that I need to keep mowed.

After the early corn is picked, I will bush-hog the stalks, disk and level the ground, and reseed the lawn in late August, the perfect time to seed a new lawn.  

With all the time that this plan saves me next summer, I should be able to spend a lot more of it fishing. 

4AADB9F0-F538-42D9-82F2-25D12E8D3867.thumb.jpeg.5066269c78fab555b833a37a69f41f64.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Five more brussel sprout plants to pull these will be cooked with wagu steaks tomorrow. Carrots will be pulled soon. Put 95 cloves of garlic in the ground today, I have another 150 to go. 

2022 success 

Peppers, melons, tomato, garlic, sunflowers, brussel sprouts. 

Fails

Eggplant, potatoes, carrots.

IMG-20221023-WA0005.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 4:25 PM, corydd7 said:

Much easier way to pick my pepper plants. Another 40 to go. Picked my last melon today and carrots are also ready. I'm planting about 300 cloves of garlic soon.

20221010_161810.jpg

300 cloves of garlic !!!!  That's a lot of garlic.. you expecting a vampire  outbreak  or does it work to keep libtards away?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Lol, I made garlic confit for the first time this year and I'm hooked but it takes so much to fill a jar. Having some tonight actually. Some will also be used to barter honey from my buddy. 

I usually cook for all holiday and family events. We use lots of garlic.

Wife told me to double  what I planted this past year . That was 89 cloves. She said 200 would do nicely.  Guess I could make another pass on the end of the garden with the tiller.

• Like 1

Much easier way to pick my pepper plants. Another 40 to go. Picked my last melon today and carrots are also ready. I'm planting about 300 cloves of garlic soon.
20221010_161810.thumb.jpg.d92d5efed230e5dc01ad7ae0074646bb.jpg

I cut the "tip" end off a bunch of cloves of garlic, just to break the skins. Then place them on a cookie sheet-the cut top get EVOO, salt, black pepper, crushed red and cover with foil. Roast at 400 until dark and mushy. Let them cook and squeeze out the bulbs, mash the hell out of them, add more oil and even some water to hit the consistency i want (thinner then pesto) and adjust seasoning. Makes a great base for a white pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I'm open to suggestions- plenty of Cowboy candy made and quick "pickled" rings. Bunch of poppers made with last batch.

May dry to dry some or maybe smoke some.

Smoke, dry and grind into a seasoning.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 1

I'm open to suggestions- plenty of Cowboy candy made and quick "pickled" rings. Bunch of poppers made with last batch.

May dry to dry some or maybe smoke some.

Let them turn red and then smoke them and you have chipotles

• Like 1

As fall nears i never get the fall seeds started/planted. It stinks, Just gets too busy. So I Mowed everything and mulched it up, lightly raked in and applied Cereal rye over the top of the garden bed. This will germinate now and re grow first thing in April and keep weeds from competing as much. When the Rye is almost mature (around Memorial Day) ill crimp it down and plant the garden. Natural weed mat, and adding Organic Matter as well as it will decompose 

• 2 weeks later...

Up at 5 am out in the garden before daybreak.  Planted my garlic late but it had to go in today. Finally found some straw.  10 bucks a bail. I paid 6 in June.  Had garlic all bedded  put the tools away 7:45 .  As I was walking away from the shed it started to rain. I got lucky. I usually plant closer to Halloween.  Wife didn't get the extra row of garlic.  Maybe  next year .

13 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Up at 5 am out in the garden before daybreak.  Planted my garlic late but it had to go in today. Finally found some straw.  10 bucks a bail. I paid 6 in June.  Had garlic all bedded  put the tools away 7:45 .  As I was walking away from the shed it started to rain. I got lucky. I usually plant closer to Halloween.  Wife didn't get the extra row of garlic.  Maybe  next year .

Not to worry ,Mike... I planted mine late last year and it turned out fine..I usually try to get it in around the third week of October....Last year it was Nov 7....

• Like 1