Garden 2022

crappyice

15 hours ago, corydd7 said:

That's awesome Belo. I have two plum trees that in ten years I hope to get a harvest like that.

Where you at Biz?! We might need a zucchini showdown soon. Kinda weird something is doing some natural pruning of my zucchini plants. Ate a bunch of flowers but it allowed very quick growth of existing zucchini and great airflow for the plant.

I've already watered twice as much as last year and it looks like a rough week with all this heat and no rain.  Awesome well nose to the grindstone. 

20220720_181618.jpg

i read somewhere that not all flowers are fruit and some are male, so it's natural to see them fall off? Not sure that's correct though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

i read somewhere that not all flowers are fruit and some are male, so it's natural to see them fall off? Not sure that's correct though.

I think you're right because I read you can use a pipe cleaner or q tip to pollinate the male to female flowers yourself.

My folks had a garden on an empty lot next to the house , lot was 150 x 70, most of it was planted, the rest was for our burn barrel , dumping waste oil etc .

Mom canned and froze a ,lot of it we had fruit trees as well .

Ive come to the conclusion that gardens ,like boats are best if they’re owned by friends and neighbors . We have three young neighbors with pretty good gardens , they keep us well supplied . One also has chickens . The neighbor who grows dope in his basement hasn’t yet shared .

I admire the hands on approach ,and  off grid aspect for sure , I’m just to lazy by nature to do, it on any meaningful scale . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

My folks had a garden on an empty lot next to the house , lot was 150 x 70, most of it was planted, the rest was for our burn barrel , dumping waste oil etc .

Mom canned and froze a ,lot of it we had fruit trees as well .

Ive come to the conclusion that gardens ,like boats are best if they’re owned by friends and neighbors . We have three young neighbors with pretty good gardens , they keep us well supplied . One also has chickens . The neighbor who grows dope in his basement hasn’t yet shared .

I admire the hands on approach ,and  off grid aspect for sure , I’m just to lazy by nature to do, it on any meaningful scale . 

An interesting take, and i don't mean this negatively but seems to fall in line with how you hunt.

I think most of us garden not to save money or because it's easy, but because we like to provide on our own. It's a fun hobby unlike deer hunting that can be a pain sometimes but enjoyable when things are working. I'll often take a few minutes in the evening or during lunch to weed, water and pick. Gets me outside and once you have some of the basics down it's not exactly difficult. Giving away produce to friends and family is also nice. We gave the ladies that clean our home a whole assortment the other day and it's always well received. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Belo said:

I think most of us garden not to save money or because it's easy, but because we like to provide on our own. It's a fun hobby unlike deer hunting that can be a pain sometimes but enjoyable when things are working. I'll often take a few minutes in the evening or during lunch to weed, water and pick. Gets me outside and once you have some of the basics down it's not exactly difficult. Giving away produce to friends and family is also nice. We gave the ladies that clean our home a whole assortment the other day and it's always well received. 

+1. My wife and daughter eat the zuchini's. It saves me a few bucks not spending at Whole Foods. But to your point, I enjoy trimming it once a week, watching things grow, and nothing tastes better than garden tomatoes and pesto. Oh and I enjoy posting pics on this thread!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BizCT said:

+1. My wife and daughter eat the zuchini's. It saves me a few bucks not spending at Whole Foods. But to your point, I enjoy trimming it once a week, watching things grow, and nothing tastes better than garden tomatoes and pesto. Oh and I enjoy posting pics on this thread!

forgot about the kids. Showing them that you can grow your own and teaching them how a little work will pay off is worth the cost of the fence and raised beds alone. My 5 year old did ask me if I can grow chocolate, so there's still a ways to go haha.

Edited by Belo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

forgot about the kids. Showing them that you can grow your own and teaching them how a little work will pay off is worth the cost of the fence and raised beds alone. My 5 year old did ask me if I can grow chocolate, so there's still a ways to go haha.

try growing a "pink minnie mouse"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

An interesting take, and i don't mean this negatively but seems to fall in line with how you hunt.

Totally agree . If we had a yard appropriate to a sizable garden , I just might do it , hell I grew up working in the garden ( perhaps that’s a reason I don’t )  . The worst job was picking up the Pears that fell, as they were full of Yellowjackets , blackface hornets ,and wasps . Of course I’d throw a pear full of them at the tree trunk .

• Like 1

I think you're right because I read you can use a pipe cleaner or q tip to pollinate the male to female flowers yourself.

I do this when I have a lot of female flowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Belo said:

I would love for this to be the issue but these wounds are from an animal with sharp teeth. Trail cam I forgot to put out at my cabin will now go into the garden for a week or so.

15 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I would love for this to be the issue but these wounds are from an animal with sharp teeth. Trail cam I forgot to put out at my cabin will now go into the garden for a week or so.

Mine ended up being fat ass field mice. They're small enough to get through the fence. My trail cam wouldn't catch them, but try just a few mouse traps with some cheese and maybe a rat trap if you suspect chipmunks. But the animals that seem to just snip my plants for no reason ended up being mice for me. Check for small knaw marks on your veggies too. I think the bigger guys will just take em, but mice will knaw at them.

I have blight again, second year in a row in a raised bed garden. Frustrating. 

2021 our garden was a new one, with soil. Got blight and it wrecked the garden. Couldn't figure out why and trying to fix didn't work. 

Fast forward to this year, I replace the raised bed with a nice farmhouse metal style, new soil mix, and blight is back again.

About the only thing doing well is the kale. And that is about my least favorite leafy green there is. 

9 hours ago, phade said:

I have blight again, second year in a row in a raised bed garden. Frustrating. 

2021 our garden was a new one, with soil. Got blight and it wrecked the garden. Couldn't figure out why and trying to fix didn't work. 

Fast forward to this year, I replace the raised bed with a nice farmhouse metal style, new soil mix, and blight is back again.

About the only thing doing well is the kale. And that is about my least favorite leafy green there is. 

Aspirin is the key to stop tomato blight.

• Like 1

Processed garlic this morning. A week early as I noticed some brown on the stems creeping  towards the bulbs . Hung in the garage with windows and doors open for ventilation.  Pretty high heat but I think the humidity didn't help . Still a good crop. Have a dozen bulbs that are in the use now pile  that I will give away. Rest I will be making a rack for to finish curing in the basement . German garlic for replanting  in the small basket. Will sort the bigger basket and pull my 12 biggest for planting 20220723_083820.thumb.jpg.5861f5ba458bab2932b1b903bdd180e8.jpg20220723_083800.thumb.jpg.79097c0838a42634afa76e74bb410065.jpg20220723_083804.thumb.jpg.40b80eeb23c8f7129117059bf391d6eb.jpg

• Like 3

Pro tip:
1. Tie the tomato to the trap
2. Used store bought tomato to not allow that prick the privilege of a great flavored tomato as his last bite
3. Rat sized snapper work the best for "ethical treatment of the animal(and my tomatoes)"

c1b586d24189dccc7efaaa98f4c373dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5