Little Can Am Outlander 1000max TLC

So I decided to install the pro mount Can Am plow on my outlander.   When the shop mechanics tell you it’s a PIA, believe them.   No real instructions and the 2.5hr job took me all of 8hrs yesterday.   Now I did have a few issues like stripped bolt heads on aftermarket A arm guards that had to be removed and while at it, I decided to replace the broken left footwell (quite the puzzle removing and replacing body panels) so I will say the 2.5hr job could be done in 4 if I had to do it again.  Thank God I don’t.  I like it.  Seems solid and is very easy on/off and to operate.  Will be perfect for NEXT YEAR!

Since I had to remove skid plates, I did my best clean since she was new 4 years ago.  I bet I had 25lbs of debris jammed in her.  Of course that led to a full clean which then led to cleaning and power washing the garage for the spring / sale of the house.  All in all a very productive Sat and Sunday!   Also fixed a broken downspout that I hit when moving my old trailer.   Don’t get that purple primer on your hands - FYI!  

Now sitting back, eating a salad and planning the next pre sale house project.    Probably paint a few room even though the realtor said it wasn’t needed!   Next weekend.  I am sore and done for now.  

1FC351DC-EF71-4415-ACE8-1731DDCD9366.jpeg

2D417CF0-E63C-44D6-81ED-BEA77BEE7C82.jpeg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Nice machine! And you'll love the plow set up next time it snows! 

With do it yourself work, seems like it always takes me double the time too.

Me too.  This one was particularly bad because there really aren’t useable instructions but there is a certain sense of satisfaction when it’s done.   So …. On to the next project.  Can’t be much harder.  Lol

• Like 2

I was just thinking.....last winter when I put the winch on my new machine I couldn't find help anywhere; Warn was ZERO help, the dealer was ZERO help and the web had less than zero tips or tricks.  It took a couple days IIRC to get it done.  That was just mounting the winch, not wiring. 

A couple weeks ago I buried it in a deep snowbank, luckily between the winch line, a tree saver strap and about 15' of heavy duty 5/8" (lol) nylon rope I made it to a tree for winching.   It worked but damn that winch was struggling!  I'm pretty sure it's a 2500lb unit.  At one point I heard a loud creak/snap/uggh from it and I wondered if I snapped a mounting bolt?  Although I rode it again yesterday I didn't take the time to inspect it for trouble.......I may bring it home from my buddies in a couple weeks for routine maintenance then will go over it. 

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I was just thinking.....last winter when I put the winch on my new machine I couldn't find help anywhere; Warn was ZERO help, the dealer was ZERO help and the web had less than zero tips or tricks.  It took a couple days IIRC to get it done.  That was just mounting the winch, not wiring. 

A couple weeks ago I buried it in a deep snowbank, luckily between the winch line, a tree saver strap and about 15' of heavy duty 5/8" (lol) nylon rope I made it to a tree for winching.   It worked but damn that winch was struggling!  I'm pretty sure it's a 2500lb unit.  At one point I heard a loud creak/snap/uggh from it and I wondered if I snapped a mounting bolt?  Although I rode it again yesterday I didn't take the time to inspect it for trouble.......I may bring it home from my buddies in a couple weeks for routine maintenance then will go over it. 

The only thing I will say about winches is that they are extremely helpful but use a strap.  One time I got lazy and wrapped it over the cable.  Big kink.   Not worth it.  Good luck Larry!

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The only thing I will say about winches is that they are extremely helpful but use a strap.  One time I got lazy and wrapped it over the cable.  Big kink.   Not worth it.  Good luck Larry!

Yea, I now have two tree saver straps in my bag of tricks.  Glad I had the one I used at the time.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Nice work Brian! I knew you could tackle this! Did you try it out at all yet? 

The plow works well.   But I had to remove center skid.  And I still need to modify aluminum A arm guards.   On a very very long list.  lol 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, moog5050 said:

The plow works well.   But I had to remove center skid.  And I still need to modify aluminum A arm guards.   On a very very long list.  lol 

Mark up what you need and I can modify them for you boss man 

• Thanks 1