Upgrade of Deer stand

hueyjazz

After years of various ladder stands on uncomfortable seats and exposed to the weather, I decided to make a nice stand.  This has been my winter project in pole barn.  It's been insane just the cost of materials to build this.  No wonder houses aren't going up.

Six by five with seven-foot ceiling.  Big enough for training of a young one and also to sleep in to get the silent morning hunt.  Key is this all comes apart in premade manageable units that I can hoist up on platform.  I'm working on roof design now and the windows.  I want this all up in spring.   I plan to have platform up ten feet using elevator brackets.  Platform will have three-foot deck to which a staircase is attached.  This will be tucked into a grove of mature pines at trail bottleneck that has been very fruitful on my property.

deer stand.jpg

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Cdbing

I do have a ton of aerosol cans but I'm leaning toward camo netting and brush it in with a ton of small trees I've cut down.  The metal is actual pebbled and low reflective.  Deer don't see color, just shades.

I built mine all out of plywood but then added steel siding because the woodpeckers kept pecking holes in it

E00B2CC7-78DE-44E2-BC55-9F7889D37ABE.png

7C8022ED-1C62-4612-87F7-9500C736219D.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice. A few of my buddies have a similar setup where they hunt. Have heat and some portable chargers for there phone so they can play their games all day. They hunt in sweats and tshirts.  I’m not there yet. I like the natural ground blinds and being “outside”. The cold doesn’t bother me. I’d rather be outside in the winter and inside when it is in the upper 80’s & 90’s.   Not a heat guy. 
I’d be interested to see how you get that all settled in its “perch” and look forward to photos when it is all done

Will be building a couple of boxes this  year, the sawmill I bought is coming in very handy, marked a few jack pine for framing,  larch for siding, and some black locust for post legs..    will be making sawdust soon.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, boo711 said:

Very nice. A few of my buddies have a similar setup where they hunt. Have heat and some portable chargers for there phone so they can play their games all day. They hunt in sweats and tshirts.  I’m not there yet. I like the natural ground blinds and being “outside”. The cold doesn’t bother me. I’d rather be outside in the winter and inside when it is in the upper 80’s & 90’s.   Not a heat guy. 
I’d be interested to see how you get that all settled in its “perch” and look forward to photos when it is all done

I built my modular , it is in 6 sections , 4 walls and a roof and the floor

I stood the base up with the floor alone and then loaded each section in the bucket of my tractor and had my wife run the lift with me in the bucket.

The roof section and was a bitch doing it alone ..

It was heavy and bulky but I got it.

All screwed and bolted together.

Its setting on solid blocks and I drove 4ft fence posts in the ground and bolted the base cross sections to the fence posts.

I wish I went bigger it’s only 4ft square but 7 ft at the peak inside .

Carpeted floor , heat and sliding plexiglass windows with a swivel office chair 

• Like 1