Todays (clean) chuckle

Water Rat

You can't put them out quickly, and they may re-ignite.  NFPA now recommends letting the car burn out.  The FD should do nothing except protect exposures, because that car will re-ignite until all of the battery is consumed, and that happens fastest when allowed to completely burn out.

The funny part of the meme above is the "EWWW-Gas" plate on the Tesla.  What exactly is that guy going to do with that gas?  Douse Hummers and diesel Trucks?

BTW water will put out an EV fire if you use enough of it to cool the battery down so it stops the reaction going on.  Dump a Tesla in a lake and it will go out pretty quick.  Junk yards have dug pits and filled them with water, then dumped the EV in to put it out for good.

Edited by Grouse

4 hours ago, Belo said:

what's dangerous about it? Do your flashlight batteries shoot sparks out of them or does the lead-acid car battery in your truck shoot out sparks?

You mean other than the fact that you have a highly flammable gas in an enclosed area with a potential ignition source???

And yes, there are times when a lead acid car battery puts out a spark. aka ignition source.

4 hours ago, Belo said:

what's dangerous about it? Do your flashlight batteries shoot sparks out of them or does the lead-acid car battery in your truck shoot out sparks?

You mean other than the fact that you have a highly flammable gas in an enclosed area with a potential ignition source???

And yes, there are times when a lead acid car battery puts out a spark. aka ignition source.

17 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

so what does it matter that it's an electric car? My 400hp v8 pontiac g8 has its battery in the trunk and I'm not worried that it's going to explode if i had can of gas back there. Plenty of mid and rear engine vehicles out there that are quite literally creating millions of explosions and I wouldn't feel like a gas can in the boot would be an issue.

anyhow i've said my peace, no need to muck up this thread further. 

• Like 1