Bullet proofing my RIA ultra fs 1911 in 10mm

My latest project is swapping out the mim parts in my 10mm . I ordered the Wilson combat Bullet proof tool steel heat treated hammer , sear and disconnect and was pleasantly surprised they dropped right in no fitting required. Since I have it apart I’m de-burring and polishing the trigger bow and the bow tracts in the frame and some other factory parts . I ordered a trigger tract honing stone from Brownells to do the frame . 

I also ordered a rock island 40 cal barrel so I can shoot 40 from this gun. One would think it would be a 100% drop in , but it was fitting really tight in upper barrel lugs to slide engagement . I broke out the caliper and started measuring the barrels and found the 40 to be a couple thousands longer than the 10. So I grabbed a file and a sharpie to mark the back of the barrel hood and started slowly filling and checking fit. I got it to fit just perfect . Funny thing is look at my picture of the 2 barrels mines on the left and look how smooth it is compared to the factory 10 barrel. 

Looking forward to taking this pistol back out and shooting it when it’s done . I had over a 6 pound trigger pull before I started so curios what I’ll end up with . So now  just  waiting on the stone and as soon as Midway has  free shipping again I’ve got a wolf spring pack waiting in my cart so I can swap recoil and hammer springs to shoot both calibers . 

ADCED49C-34A4-4156-8EE0-B7703BAC8D3F.jpeg

5F817348-D8C5-4E58-A8F5-BFE7E060C04E.jpeg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, airedale said:

All worthwhile mods in my book Rob, I am the same way always trying to make my firearms better. Looking forward to your report on how she shoots.

Al

Thanks , I know some may say why not just buy a higher quality 1911 to begin with. I’ll have just under $800 in everything when I’m done , that includes the gun, Wilson combat parts,  barrel , the springs and I bought 2 - 40 cal magazines . So not bad for a dual caliber pistol I think .  Plus it’s just fun seeing what a little diy can do to improve a guns performance . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Thanks , I know some may say why not just buy a higher quality 1911 to begin with. I’ll have just under $800 in everything when I’m done , that includes the gun, Wilson combat parts,  barrel , the springs and I bought 2 - 40 cal magazines . So not bad for a dual caliber pistol I think .  Plus it’s just fun seeing what a little diy can do to improve a guns performance . 

You see this all the time with electric guitars. A lot of players rag on the guys playing MIM Fenders or what not, but once they swap out pickups, tuners, etc, and do a good set-up job, they end up with a much better instrument than an off the rack American made. 

It sounds like you've got a great project and will have a gun to be proud of when you are done. Tack that on to the bang for the buck, and you're well ahead. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

You see this all the time with electric guitars. A lot of players rag on the guys playing MIM Fenders or what not, but once they swap out pickups, tuners, etc, and do a good set-up job, they end up with a much better instrument than an off the rack American made. 

It sounds like you've got a great project and will have a gun to be proud of when you are done. Tack that on to the bang for the buck, and you're well ahead. Good luck!

Thanks , Honestly there’s really nothing wrong with mim  parts if its done right , Ruger has been doing it for years and you rarely see a failure in their pistols. But on my RIA I actually had the hammer break shooting it in the summer pistol league last year  . I sent it in for warranty and they fixed it but I knew in the back of my head I just wasn’t trusting that it wouldn’t happen again especially since it’s a 10mm . I really like the gun so I figured why not upgrade . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1