Maine 2022- Part I

Bionic

Headed back up in a week to check out the area for our first ever winter trip.  I plan on a lot of photography, and videos, as that is something I enjoy on my free time.  We have a few cabins that we have in mind to take a look at, as well as acreage.  We have been actively searching for about 2 years.  Obviously we all know the market, and the few on our list are actually decent in price for the times, so we have nothing to lose.  Depending on snow depth, I hope to maybe look in a few areas for shed moose antlers, but I am honestly doubtful due to snow depth, and accessibility to areas.  The ultimate plan is to buy a cabin, or build, on as much land as possible.  I am almost requiring it to be within the street legal section for ATV use, and direct snowmobile access as well.  Long term goal is to own a couple cabins up there, a good side garage/barn to leave UTV, and snowmobiles right up there, snow removal equipment, etc, and retire there, or sell, and move further north depending on how the area develops over the next 19.5 yrs.  We are not necessarily in a rush, but the sooner the better, but definitely not going to over pay for anything,  if we must wait another 2-5 yrs, then so be it.  

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Have a great time! Can't wait for pictures. Are you trailering the SxS up? 

Thank you, not this trip unfortunately, I don’t think it is worth the time hauling it up, unsure of winter trails, etc.  Our August trip is booked though, and the X3 will be in tow for sure on that trip.  I have been adding some parts to the SxS for this season though, been thinking about adding that stuff to my journal but not sure if there is any interest.  This trip will be more “homework” than anything.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

A solid plan to enrich your lives!!! Best of luck with the cabin search. You'll know when the right one for you comes along. Looking forward to the pictures and video's! You do an excellent job with those! Hope you find a moose shed too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

A solid plan to enrich your lives!!! Best of luck with the cabin search. You'll know when the right one for you comes along. Looking forward to the pictures and video's! You do an excellent job with those! Hope you find a moose shed too!

I appreciate that!  What you said validates my thoughts as well, when the right one presents itself, all will fall into place,  what is meant to be, is meant to be.  I always say everything happens for a reason as well.  Thanks Grampy

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That ranger is going to be seeing some miles,between Maine and WNY for spring bird this year. 

Thank god I bought a Corolla to commute in last July. I will roll up in the car, and everyone will be like who the…is this??? Haha

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Sounds cool.  With global warming kicking in harder every day, it make sense to move north, rather than south for retirement.   That’s my plan, but I am only going as far as NY’s Adirondacks.  

I imagine when folks start to realize that in a few more years, you will see property values rise faster up there, than than they do down south.   The best time to buy up there might be right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I told my wife when we retire let's move to Patten Maine,  she said I'll see ya at mrytle beach. 

Patten, Maine views are insane.  We go to Moosehead region, specifically looking at Kokadjo to retire.  

2 hours ago, Bionic said:

Thank you, not this trip unfortunately, I don’t think it is worth the time hauling it up, unsure of winter trails, etc.  Our August trip is booked though, and the X3 will be in tow for sure on that trip.  I have been adding some parts to the SxS for this season though, been thinking about adding that stuff to my journal but not sure if there is any interest.  This trip will be more “homework” than anything.

add it!

• Like 3

Just now, crappyice said:

I will take first guided moose hunt (even though I know you love just looking at them). I bet a few moose-loafs and moose-sticks could change your mind!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, I do apply for moose tags! In fact I have a pack of moose cube steaks in the freezer as we speak.  Love moose sliders!

• Like 1

That's a great area in Maine.

I've been looking around Maine for a place to retire for almost 30 years, but the wife says No every time we visit friends in the winter.

I was hoping Global warming would make it a little warmer up there for her to change her mind, but it's not working out that way.

Safe travels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Sounds cool.  With global warming kicking in harder every day, it make sense to move north, rather than south for retirement.   That’s my plan, but I am only going as far as NY’s Adirondacks.  

I imagine when folks start to realize that in a few more years, you will see property values rise faster up there, than than they do down south.   The best time to buy up there might be right now.

I am too far south as it is already in the Catskills.  I am hoping that I can stay in decent shape until I retire to handle the central-northern Maine seasons.  We are looking to start now with preparations of setting up a property to help with that(equipment, etc).  We enjoy the freedoms up there, that at this point we truly do not have in NY(state wide trail systems/ATV/UTV friendly towns).  The real estate market in the areas I have been watching is actually similar to NY.  There are so many bodies of water, and areas for mountain views, that house prices can vary by the mile.  

5 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

That's a great area in Maine.

I've been looking around Maine for a place to retire for almost 30 years, but the wife says No every time we visit friends in the winter.

I was hoping Global warming would make it a little warmer up there for her to change her mind, but it's not working out that way.

Safe travels.

Thank you.  Fortunately my wife loves Maine just as much, and has zero desire for anyplace else.  I proposed on the top of Mount Kineo fire tower on a crystal clear day, and we married at Blair Hill, she’s that into Maine.

Buy your wife extremely warm clothes lol.  I did that for this trip, and a friend of ours lives on Long Island, and his wife couldn’t tolerate the cold up there.  He bought her warm clothes, and winter is now her favorite season up there.  

4 hours ago, Bionic said:

Patten, Maine views are insane.  We go to Moosehead region, specifically looking at Kokadjo to retire.  

That's the last place to get fuel before you go behind the gate. We did baker lake area for bears. Pretty amazing 

• Like 1