Would You Buy an Electric Truck?

Five Seasons

For my needs, I think an EV would be fine. I don't drive my car long distances much, so the range (which would be my biggest concern) isn't too much of an issue. I also don't tow anything, and don't carry too many heavy loads. I think with the technology right now, I'd have an EV with my wife's car being gas powered for the longer trips back to IL.

• Like 1

Not ruling it out , but I need to,learn a lot more about them . I’d like longer range for sure, and faster charging . It’s also a big nut, prior to age 58 , when we bought our Subaru new, I think I only spent five figures on a vehicle two times ,and even then the first number was a 1 .

70k plus I’m going to need to get 20 years out of it .

I talked to a guy down here ( Florida ) who came from Nevada in a Tesla , he gets 350 miles a charge , and IF he finds a fast charger it can charge back up in an hour .

My Subaru will go about 600 miles on the highway and fills up in a couple minutes . I’d hate to have to start looking for a charge at around 250 miles spend then an hour or more charging it .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Not ruling it out , but I need to,learn a lot more about them . I’d like longer range for sure, and faster charging . It’s also a big nut, prior to age 58 , when we bought our Subaru new, I think I only spent five figures on a vehicle two times ,and even then the first number was a 1 .

I talked to a guy down here ( Florida ) who came from Nevada in a Tesla , he gets 350 miles a charge , and IF he finds a fast charger it can charge back up in an hour .

My Subaru will go about 600 miles on the highway and fills up in a couple minutes . I’d hate to have to start looking for a charge at around 250 miles spend then an hour or more charging it .

My Outback is at 187,000, and I hope that I still have several years before I need to decide on a replacement. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nomad said:

The grid doesnt exist yet for these electric cars for our way of life. That guy with Tesla planned his route by the charging stations and took twice as long if you were going in a gas car and paid dbl in charges.

I am not ready for the EV wagon just yet, maybe in 15-20 yrs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Splitear said:

My Outback is at 187,000, and I hope that I still have several years before I need to decide on a replacement. 

We have 40k on our 2018, so many years to go ! I just love the fact we can get from Fla. to NY with two full tanks , plus a few gallons .

The last time we came home from here, second day we left a friends place at the NC/ SC boarder, with plans to stop around Pittsburg. Well we hit there at 3pm and didn’t want to stop so we pushed on , once we hit Erie it was snowing bad,  yet we were so close now.

I had plenty of gas , then night came, the snow got real bad traffic slowed,one lane on the thruway …

I knew fuel was not a problem ,nor my tanks range even with the curveball we were thrown .

EV idk

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

We have 40k on our 2018, so many years to go ! I just love the fact we can get from Fla. to NY with two full tanks , plus a few gallons .

Our family just outgrew mine with the addition of 2 kids and the 3 dogs. My wife finally broke down and got a minivan this past summer. 

My Outback is a 2012, and now with my 5 mile daily commute, I don't rack the miles up too quickly compared to the drive to work that I had when I first got it. 

I have never bought a new vehicle and don't plan on doing so in the future. I am generally at least 10 years behind the current manufacturing year,so maybe I would get one in 2031.

I am not opposed to the idea,but am opposed to the price tag. As if vehicles are not expensive enough already. I hate spending money on them.

I am not against it. My day to day driving range would be fine. I wouldn't have to charge it every night maybe  just twice a week depending. I think they are expecting the Ford Lighting to only be able to go 150-200 miles while towing the 10,000 max capacity so could even tow the wheeler to camp and back without a problem. What would really change is our camping trips. We tow our camper long distances a few times a year and the current infrastructure for recharging just isn't there yet in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, left field said:

Would you want a traditional looking truck or more of a utility/work vehicle?

This guy started his company in the Catskills and moved to Detroit a few years ago. Not sure how close they are to manufacturing. Cool truck. 

Looks like something a James Bond villain's hit squad would show up in. 

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

I am not against it. My day to day driving range would be fine. I wouldn't have to charge it every night maybe  just twice a week depending. I think they are expecting the Ford Lighting to only be able to go 150-200 miles while towing the 10,000 max capacity so could even tow the wheeler to camp and back without a problem. What would really change is our camping trips. We tow our camper long distances a few times a year and the current infrastructure for recharging just isn't there yet in my opinion. 

They need to figure out a way to make them self charging as you drive.  Wait, I think I have a new business!

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

What if one or (gulp) two vehicles were a head of him?   

• Like 1

No not yet , in order for me to pull the trigger it would have to be - Charging as fast as I can fuel now / plus charging stations as numerous a gas stations   , cost has to be comparable to gas vehicle and I would like to see how electric cars hold up in our salt belt after 10 years. Now a hybrid truck , if I was in the market to buy a new truck I’d be looking hard at one . 

Edited by rob-c