Would You Buy an Electric Truck?

Five Seasons

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The house I just bought in CT has a tesla charger. I was told it was $7K to setup. But the charger itself is only $550 from Tesla. I've gotten offers of $300 to sell it so far. Anyone want to buy it?

it's possible that they had to spend an assload on the electrical and depending on if that meant a panel upgrade or something. Some people think you just plug these things into a 110 in your garage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

it's possible that they had to spend an assload on the electrical and depending on if that meant a panel upgrade or something. Some people think you just plug these things into a 110 in your garage. 

yes, for sure. Tesla says:

Cost

Installation pricing can vary depending on your home charging hardware and electrical system.

A straightforward installation can range from $750 - $1,500. However, if there are additional items needed to complete your installation, the price will be adjusted accordingly.

Typically included:

• Professional installation service and materials
  • Permit
  • Inspection
  • Installation warranty

Typically additional:

• Long wire run (distance from electrical panel to installation site)
  • Additional sub panel
  • Trench (underground wires)
  • Main panel upgrade
  • Pedestal installation
  • Hiding cables behind walls

Basically, you're driving a computer hooked to a battery and a bunch of servo motors.  Nobody knows how to work on these yet.

And if you crash one.  Well, good luck as it is different construction.  There's even fewer body shops and parts for these.  You can be months without your vehicle.  Tesla is the worst as they tightly control parts and service.

So, I'll be letting a bunch of other people get the bugs out of these.   Hard pass for now.

I'm not repeating the mistake I made with my 1984 Fiero.

• Haha 1

Maybe a car at some point of time,NEVER a pickup.I have had a F 250/F350 Super duty since 1973.I have a dump trailer,split deck equip.trailer,small utility trailer and a 25 ft tri-toon that I tow.I have been asking guys with p/u's for years what they use their trucks for and probably 95% dont even haul anything in the box or tow anything ,just want a pick up,all it does is drive the cost up for people that need trucks.

My only problem with EV's is the range. If i want to go on a 500 mile trip, Id hate to have to wait 30 minutes for it to charge a little. I think our infrastructure for it is a bit weak as well. For right now its a no for me purely due to the convenience of gas. Aside from that I don't mind it

• Like 1

You can literally plug them into a standard 110 outlet in your garage and let them charge overnight. The adaptor is included standard on Tesla vehicles.

It’s a slow charge but it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

You can literally plug them into a standard 110 outlet in your garage and let them charge overnight. The adaptor is included standard on Tesla vehicles.

It’s a slow charge but it can be done.

Plugging ev into 110 are actually for emergency only. Doing so will shorten the life of the batteries.  

If I could afford one I would buy one for sure. I would also have a real truck for work purposes though, since finances wouldn't be an issue.The immediate response of the vehicles are great.  There is not any lag. Bluetooth whatever sound you would like the vehicle to sound like too. And they look nice with all the new technology included. They also are quite simple to work on. Software updates, relay failures, and battery replacement,  either packs, or individual cells, depending on manufacturers. 

The EV would be more of a toy/weekend  cruiser.

Plugging ev into 110 are actually for emergency only. Doing so will shorten the life of the batteries.  
If I could afford one I would buy one for sure. I would also have a real truck for work purposes though, since finances wouldn't be an issue.The immediate response of the vehicles are great.  There is not any lag. Bluetooth whatever sound you would like the vehicle to sound like too. And they look nice with all the new technology included. They also are quite simple to work on. Software updates, relay failures, and battery replacement,  either packs, or individual cells, depending on manufacturers. 
The EV would be more of a toy/weekend  cruiser.

No where that I read (Tesla) mentioned it was for emergency use only. It’s not very practical though. 2-3 miles per hour on the charger. My round trip to and from work would need anywhere from 11-17 hours being charged that way. So pretty much it would always be on the charger when I’m home.

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

No where that I read (Tesla) mentioned it was for emergency use only. It’s not very practical though. 2-3 miles per hour on the charger. My round trip to and from work would need anywhere from 11-17 hours being charged that way. So pretty much it would always be on the charger when I’m home.

The slow charge on the battery from 110 volts over extended time causes excessive heat. That is why it prematurely wears out the batteries. 

In the last 6 months my work load has turned from combustion engine vehicles to 75% being electric vehicles.  Being one of the only  certified technician in the area it has really increased my workload. But now it's more brain, and less brawn. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

The slow charge on the battery from 110 volts over extended time causes excessive heat. That is why it prematurely wears out the batteries. 

In the last 6 months my work load has turned from combustion engine vehicles to 75% being electric vehicles.  Being one of the only  certified technician in the area it has really increased my workload. But now it's more brain, and less brawn. 

Odd. That is the opposite of what I would have assumed. Guess that's why one shouldn't assume .

One of the challenges in developing a rapid charging system was keeping the batteries cool enough.

Real world experience. I like it! Not that I’m buying an electric vehicle anytime soon but it’s never a bad thing to be educated especially when the manufacturer says you can do it.