Bass season

ncountry

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

there was a lot of talk about the opener changing to June 15th instead of the 3rd saturday.  Wondering if they will change that this year? 

I havn't heard.  I am getting excited for May crappies too !

2 hours ago, ncountry said:

A little over 3 months until bass season. 20180909_142329.thumb.jpg.d9ae2e43732628f21e5a76f12bbee564.jpg

Haven't had one like that in awhile!! Looks like that old Fusion line??? I hated that stuff!

Between gas for my truck, and high test for my boat, I will be fishing close to home on the Mohawk mostly.

Love those river smallies!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Haven't had one like that in awhile!! Looks like that old Fusion line??? I hated that stuff!

Between gas for my truck, and high test for my boat, I will be fishing close to home on the Mohawk mostly.

I hear that, the Sonic i bought has a 108 gallon fuel tank......Makes me sick to my stomach thinking about filling that thing now......I'll be spending a lot of time anchored...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Pretty sure it's Power Pro braid. I wish I could say I don't get a rat's nest anymore. 

I've been using a bait casting reel for 35 years and I will still get one , at least once a day..lol.. Not as bad as that one though..

I probably should tighten it up a little , but I like it free wheeling..

I'm lucky and have a camp on a local lake. The boat is in the water from May 1st to Sept 30.. It's only 3 miles to the other end of the lake so fuel isn't a big expense..

I don’t do much bass fishing except a few times from a canoe with spinning rods. I have tried to use baitcasters a few times and struggled to see to benefit. Harder to cast, I cast a spinning rig further, drag is easy enough to set…I hope I am not starting a WWIV here -is this like a compound vs crossbow conversation???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I don’t do much bass fishing except a few times from a canoe with spinning rods. I have tried to use baitcasters a few times and struggled to see to benefit. Harder to cast, I cast a spinning rig further, drag is easy enough to set…I hope I am not starting a WWIV here -is this like a compound vs crossbow conversation???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get outa here! Your not a reel(see what I did there) fisherman until you use a baitcaster..

Just kidding..

For me my baitcasters outlive the spin cast by a wide margin.. I don't buy super expensive reels. $100.00 is about all I will spend. In the past I would wear out a $100 spin cast in a year 2 max.. Also you have more control of your casts and smoother

I know.. 1st world problems..lol..

I did not have this issue until I started living on the lake for 1/4 of the year.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dad and I bought our first baitcasters in 1987 at the bass pro shops world fishing fair. We were playing with them on the plane and thought OH SH1T WE BOUGHT LEFT HANDED REELS! To this day I cast with my right and switch to my left and retrieve. My spinning reels handles are on the left. I think thats pretty common actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My dad and I bought our first baitcasters in 1987 at the bass pro shops world fishing fair. We were playing with them on the plane and thought OH SH1T WE BOUGHT LEFT HANDED REELS! To this day I cast with my right and switch to my left and retrieve. My spinning reels handles are on the left. I think thats pretty common actually

It always seemed odd to me. A right handed reel has the handle on the right. . I'm right handed and always bought left handed reels or switched handles on a spincast..

Why would you want to cast with your right hand and switch hands when retrieving if there was a better option?..lol

• Like 3

I always use a spin caster for smallmouth, because they are much better suited to the light (1/8  - 1/4 oz) bucktail jigs, which are my primary bait.  The reel handle is on the left and I cast with my right.  My line is 8 lb fluorocarbon.

I prefer a bait caster for largemouth, with 10 or 14 lb mono, and heavier baits.  I cast right, and switch hands because the handle is on the right.  I like the bait caster reels  for them, because they work better as a winch to force the fish out of heavy cover.  That said, pound per pound, largemouth pull about half as hard as smallmouth.  Rarely do they take any drag out,  whereas the smallmouth often scream it out of the light spinning reels. 

I like both species about equally and each has something that I like better than the other.  With smallmouth, the good is the better fight, better local availability, and lower cost of baits (I make my own jigs and only need to buy the hooks).  Smallmouth are also tougher and live longer in the live well as the oxygen gets depleated.

Largemouth are slightly better tasting, and easier to clean (I am not much of a catch and release guy, and I like bass on the table more than any other fish that swims in fresh water).  The key to making either species taste good, is to keep them in top condition and make sure the meat is still twitching when you remove it.  
78A9F9B9-8342-4E56-B6F7-AAD19B216B44.thumb.jpeg.881852cfdb34ad112836fff096b24b9e.jpeg

This was my last open water bass from last year and I can’t wait to get back out there after them.  I caught a few thru the ice last month, but they aren’t much fun in cold water, which saps all of their strength.  Once he water gets up to about 60 degrees, I don’t know of a better fighting freshwater fish (pound for pound).  

12 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

X2 to this.could never use a left handed baitcast.feels weird

• Like 1