Bass season

ncountry

I am left handed, so my spinning reels all reel on the right hand side of the reel.  I kinda like my bait caster, they almost always come with the reel on the right side, which is perfect for me.  I spool them up with 17-20 pound test Trilene XT and when I do get a backlash, they are not too bad to pick out.  I use that rig mostly for top water bass fishing and use a rubber frog or Pop-r lure.  But all in all, I’d rather have my spinning reels 90% of the time. 

Last year I learned how to use a left handed baitcaster only because I had it,now it's my buzzbait and fluke go too.
It's so much better that way for buzzbaits esp. that bait hits the water it needs to be moving esp in weeds. It sinks at all as your switching hands it's fouled up.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like my bait casters for top water and cranking. Finesse, I like my spinners. I will admit to using bait casters with a worm and bobber from time to time.

There used to be a general rule of thumb to avoid a rats nest: Set the brake so when you give the rod a slight twitch the lure will only go about 18-24". I've used that rule for a long time, and it works pretty well. It's not foolproof by any means, though. If you want to have some steam come outta the ears, let someone who's never used a bait caster borrow one.

I like my bait casters for top water and cranking. Finesse, I like my spinners. I will admit to using bait casters with a worm and bobber from time to time.

There used to be a general rule of thumb to avoid a rats nest: Set the brake so when you give the rod a slight twitch the lure will only drop about 18-24", while standing not after casting. I've used that rule for a long time, and it works pretty well. It's not foolproof by any means, though. If you want to have some steam come outta the ears, let someone who's never used a bait caster borrow one.

Edited by DirtTime

I have more trouble with line- twist tangles on spinning reels than I do with backlash on baitcasters, but that’s probably because I use spinning reels about 4x as much, as I use baitcasters.   

That said, it seems that the spinning reel line-twist issues are minimized, if I manually close the bail after a cast, rather than utilize the self- close feature.  Not reeling against the drag helps also.  Not needing to worry about reeling against the drag, is a major advantage of a baitcaster. Both types have their place for sure.  

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

There used to be a general rule of thumb to avoid a rats nest: Set the brake so when you give the rod a slight twitch the lure will only go about 18-24". I've used that rule for a long time, and it works pretty well. It's not foolproof by any means, though. If you want to have some steam come outta the ears, let someone who's never used a bait caster borrow one.

In the past I went with letting it drop until it hits the ground and stopping. I like it a little looser most of the time...

Oh yea. I have on occasion loosened up my fishing buddies reels when they weren't paying attention..;).

One of my favorite ones I did was on a catfishing trip.. I was sitting in the back seat next to my friends freshly spooled new reel. He was  bragging on the way there about how well his new toy was going to cast "all the way across the river"

On the rd there I unspooled 10 ' of line ,cut it and reeled it back in. We get there and like usual race around getting ourselves baited up .

Dam! He was right ,he threw his bait and sinker all the way across the river.;)

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 2

I set it so my bait falls slow and steady (in the air if that makes sense)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have more trouble with line- twist tangles on spinning reels than I do with backlash on baitcasters, but that’s probably because I use spinning reels about 4x as much, as I use baitcasters.   

That said, it seems that the spinning reel line-twist issues are minimized, if I manually close the bail after a cast, rather than utilize the self- close feature.  Not reeling against the drag helps also.  Not needing to worry about reeling against the drag, is a major advantage of a baitcaster. Both types have their place for sure.  

Let the line tic your index finger on the retrieve too

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That's what I was referring to, I forgot to add that. I'll still get a mess sometimes, but not even 1/100 of when I started using them.

17 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

That's what I was referring to, I forgot to add that. I'll still get a mess sometimes, but not even 1/100 of when I started using them.

The "educated thumb" !

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is what I do too, especially whenever changing lures.