Calls

Overtkill

So many great companies out there. Primos have been around for a long time and have some good stuff at fair prices. It's more about techniques than it is call manufacturers.  Every design has a specific use or sound intention, but practice is key. I highly recommend playing sounds from live recordings and trying to duplicate that sound. I called almost daily for most of an entire year and even now there is a call with me everyday.

I buy the same shape diaphragm calls from lots of different companies. I just know where my air passes over my tongue and that there is a difference of sound based on reeds stacks between 1 and 4 or even 5. Shane Simpson has a starter pack and calling videos for all levels, most of them are on YouTube. 

I keep a box call for windy days to locate birds but seems like I do just as well with a crispy fresh sanded slate for long.distance.

Pot calls have different sounds based on materials,  I carry 1 slate, 1 glass, And 1 that is waterproof.

I don't use hand calls much anymore because you can't use your hands to shoot them in the face when your running a call. Also you have to switch it up a d sometimes fir many different reasons birds respond differently to different calls.

38 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Here is most of this Spring's  Calls that,I will use. I take 3 or 4 different  calls each day and switch up the next day. That right there is important  on Public.

1- Sweet Clucker homemade Wingbone.

2. GASKINS Cedar Scratchbox.

3-Viper Copper over Glass pot/walnut sriker.  

4-Madd Aluminator Pot/Diamondwood Striker.

5- Cane Creek Slate over Glass pot/Purpleheart striker.

6- Enticer Glass pot/Acrylic  striker for Light rainy days.

7-Bocote Yelper

8-Doug Herman Nail call.

9- 100% Southren  Red Cedar Box.

10- soon to come- Purpleheart Box.

11- Natural Voice

A bunch of other calls put away as well.

You can see,I am a Pot Call Man followed by Boxes. I have around 15 other Box Calls.

My Natural Voice is my Finisher as,I hate the Diaphragms.  To master this- you need to form the words- Yelp or Whit- Whit in the Voice Box in your Neck. 

Looking to get a Famed Uncle Dickie Purpleheart Box soon.

These days plenty of Guys take 1 Call with them. Not good! 

20220310_163916.jpg

I hunt with a couple brothers who mouth call, pretty cool

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I don't have a ton of experience yet but the first call i use is the Quaker boy double plunger call

I cant remember what it's called but there is a small box that you can attach to your gun and a string that hooks to your finger so you can call with pretty minimal movement.

I just see turkeys love that diaphragm. Even when the slate sounds more like a turkey to me. I surmise its because of the air flow in the call but it seems to work great.

Slate/pot type calls are my favorite ,seem to produce the most realistic calls and are not commonly used. Not to mention you can carry several diffenrt strikers ans have multiple calls.

Seems everyone is trying mouth calls or box and birds have wised up to them. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Slate/pot type calls are my favorite ,seem to produce the most realistic calls and are not commonly used. Not to mention you can carry several diffenrt strikers ans have multiple calls.

Seems everyone is trying mouth calls or box and birds have wised up to them. 

After a bird has lived a few seasons he has heard it all

9 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

I hate getting busted touching stuff so I'm a mouth call guy

Set up is more important  so when bird shows itself I'd already in range, main reason  I hunt woods and not fields.  Head pops up on ridge and bang!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

After a bird has lived a few seasons he has heard it all

Most here haven't heard a pot or wing bone, also like using elk bugle for a locator as they haven't heard that either.  People are afraid of movement and mouth calls are 90% in use here as evident of all the idiots driving the roads with the window down practicing....smh

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Most here haven't heard a pot or wing bone, also like using elk bugle for a locator as they haven't heard that either.  People are afraid of movement and mouth calls are 90% in use here as evident of all the idiots driving the roads with the window down practicing....smh

Everyone has thier own style for sure. I carry em all! 

I like to use box calls that I make myself from all kinds of wood, cherry seems to have the nicest sound to me and if they were easier to make I would use osage orange, it has a wonderful rasp to it and range, sadly I gave my last one away. This year I am trying a mouth call, so far, not so good, I keep losing my breath and the sounds aren't all that good, trying to master that dod gone 'Kee-Kee Run'!!!!

DSCN0199.thumb.jpeg.3603fb42c8d384ddd95f0b8ad86dd5d2.jpeg

There's a couple, those are made from curly maple left over gunstock wood.

Robby

• Like 1

That's it right there! Without a doubt- the Horseshoe Mouth Diaphragms  are the most common types on Public Lands. Check my lineup picture post again and check out my homemade - Sweet Clucker Wingbone and my Bocote Yelper.
  Seems just about everyone,I run into on Public and engage in Turkey Talk has a White Horseshoe  Call sticking out of his mouth. When,I see a Man who has a Wingbone or Yelper on a Laynard hanging down from his neck,I get worried as this guy knows as much as,I do. 
  I think,I have a Pic too!! I took this picture of Cynthia and an older Gent holding Cynthia's  Tom.

20200514_105851.thumb.jpg.cfbb5112ffff20450e21eb6416ac5857.jpg

There is a huge difference between being able to make a Turkey noise on a diaphragm and being able to actually use a diaphragm!

Although I call very little the only calls I carry is two diaphragms, one triple reed for louder calls and a double reed for when I need to get soft.

Anyone can yelp loudly with a diaphragm it’s learning to purr/ putt etc. barely loud enough to hear that will put birds over your shoulder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

There is a huge difference between being able to make a Turkey noise on a diaphragm and being able to actually use a diaphragm!

Although I call very little the only calls I carry is two diaphragms, one triple reed for louder calls and a double reed for when I need to get soft.

Anyone can yelp loudly with a diaphragm it’s learning to purr/ putt etc. barely loud enough to hear that will put birds over your shoulder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!!!!...... and your hands aren't moving! If you dial it in the diaphram is great. I use double and triple because I think they are higher and lower pitch. Volume is a big part. Any call can work but imo the total range of diaphragm is pretty great. I spent a year running it basically daily and listened to wild bird recordings and tried mimicking them exactly. Some days I never touch the 2nd call and the bird is in there.  Its probably the same with any call that you get to know well. The positive air flow could make a difference. 

• Like 1

I used diaphragm calls mostly, however I will also carry a box call for cutting into the wind when need to get some distance on my call . I also carry a slate that I might beak out if I need to tone it down for a hung up bird or to project my calls moving away from a tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

One positive for me is my Natural Voice  Finisher. Not too many guys have mastered it and the Toms are hearing something  a little bit different. Right now,I practice  a good Twice a Week. 

Sounds like the making of a good beginner video Bill. Show people how to get started using their natural voice.

Just now, blackbeltbill said:

I believe,I covered that in my 2014 Turkey Seminar. That was my first video on Utube. Just a fun project from years back.

But with all the new vocal technology out there, better water to drink that helps vocal cords, new and improved throat sprays, that video is out of date. Time for an updated version. It's 2022 man! :biggrin:

• Like 1

A long time ago back when I had far more time and ambition to turkey hunt I once misplaced my turkey calls and face mask before I headed out for a hunt in the morning. After I got out to my spot and realized what I had done I already had a tom letting loose not far from me down over a ridge. I figured I had nothing to loose so I just mouth called to him and kept my face tucked. I almost sealed the deal on him. I'm convinced if I'd of had my face mask I would have gotten that bird by just using my voice.

• Like 1