Charging an EV

Lawdwaz

Ever look into the charging of an electric vehicle?

Lots of variables and costs.   Fast or slow?  Do you have the correct connector? Etc

Costs to charge on the road are variable too.  Some free options are available but short in duration.   

Putting in a charging system at home isn’t inexpensive either.   It’ll be a tough deal for folks in condominiums, townhomes and apartments lol.  Can’t imagine the difficulties in high rises.   Crazy!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Saw somewhere the cost to put in a home charging station could cost around 20 grand . Don't know how true that is .

Not sure either but I read an article that mentioned $1700-$4000  I’m sure there’s lots of variables in there too.   

Most EVs can plug into a 110 outlet but it takes twice as long. If you don't drive very far, you most likely could get away with it. If you have a 240 volt plug(most of the charging stations are these) it doubles the charging time. 

We talked about looking into some hybrids , but that's as far as it got. Would running an outlet cost 1700- 4,000 I'm not so sure on- having a licensed electrician can be costly.

Edited by kpkot

Total cost for me to put in a basic level 2 - less than $500 and 30% of it is a federal tax write off. And certain power companies will credit you or give you reduced pricing on the EVSE. I am going to opt for a more expensive EVSE soon for the convenience components via an app.

The charger is built into EVs. Our vehicle has a 6.6kwH charger. The EVSE plugs into it and the charger adjusts the juice flowing as needed.

The largest supplier in the US is located right here in Rochester. Their basic level 2 at full blown retail is $259.99, which obviously you can find for less than that.

Keep in mind that is a luxury for me - the level 1 EVSE works just fine. Level 2 is just faster charging. And a real dark secret, is the level 1 EVSE that came with the car is actually rated for 240v, so getting an adapter for it to plug into say a 14-50 NEMA is all it takes if you have the wiring done. You can 100% skip the level 2 EVSE purchase altogether. But let's not let truth get in the way of the interwebz.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Good information members.   Lol

I was more curious on the cost to charge in the road, not at home.  Anyone done that?

I'm seeing prices at $.25 a kw.  A tesla with the large battery is 100kw. So from empty $25.00.  Pretty good for low range of 300 to a quoted range of 400 miles..

If  we went with 300 miles we would have to have a vehicle that averaged 48mpg @ $4.00 a gallon to be equal .

I'm sure the EV trucks are not going to have the same range with the same battery size though..

• Like 1

A gentleman I work with had given a quote to a member from his church for $800 bucks for parts and labor to install his charging setup. The Customer had purchased a kit (sounds like an outlet) from Tesla already. 

Well the customer decided to get another quote, found a Craigslist guy for $700. Hired him to do it. 

Customer called Craigslist guy back because of breaker tripping. And guess who does not answer the phone calls! My friend went back to look at it. They opened the dryer outlet box, wire nutted into it and ran a short piece of wire through the wall into the garage. So when the Tesla and dryer are both running.....trip breaker. 

$800 quote was for a dedicated breaker and new wire from the panel all the way to garage. Lol, so much for saving money.

After hearing the story I asked if he suggested a Solar dryer, clothes line are still cheap. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ever look into the charging of an electric vehicle?

Lots of variables and costs.   Fast or slow?  Do you have the correct connector? Etc

Costs to charge on the road are variable too.  Some free options are available but short in duration.   

Putting in a charging system at home isn’t inexpensive either.   It’ll be a tough deal for folks in condominiums, townhomes and apartments lol.  Can’t imagine the difficulties in high rises.   Crazy!

How many did I see along our drive to Florida? None

I've about had it with certain people jamming all electric down our throats. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zag said:

How many did I see along our drive to Florida? None

I've about had it with certain people jamming all electric down our throats. 

It might not happen as fast or holistically as politicians think but conversion to EV or PHEV is happening. I get that people feel like it is a politicized issue and that those politicians are the face of it.

Leading indicators in the business world all point to it happening, however. Seeing the unseeable sometimes can be difficult. Alot can happen in 10-15 years in terms of development. The iPhone / smartphone generation is less than 15 years old. Yet, now I can watch real-time videos of the war in Ukraine, invest in my retirement in seconds, and book trips that previously were largely routed through travel agents. Heck, I can see pictures and videos of the bucks I want to tag, lol, in real-time.

Alot can happen in a relatively short amount of time and leading indicators are that companies are investing heavily in that technology, regardless if people want to dissect the topic. Gaps in infrastructure, the elements, tech, etc. will be worked out. Follow the money trail and it leads to further expansion of EV/PHEV. 

JMO.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Good information members.   Lol

I was more curious on the cost to charge in the road, not at home.  Anyone done that?

My new building at work has chargers and starting to see more of that.

The cost to charge is an early lifecycle component. Some companies charge for it; others don't charge the driver at all and instead use advertising revenue to allow free charging. Companies like EVGO, Volta, Chargepoint all have slightly different business models. 

All of this stuff needs to get worked out, no doubt. But, people and companies are working on it.

I'm not sure whether people here have PD/IT or R&D experience but it's pretty much in-line with early lifecycle that is accelerating velocity. I was fortunate to lead a new product to market on the service and ops side - ironically due to the ACA which I am not a fan of - but it grew to $45M in less than one year from $0. I can't begin to tell you how many problems and gaps we didn't have answers to out of the gate or as time went on, but that solutions were found and evolved to best practices. This really is no different, just on a much much much larger scale.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

They can tout electric cars/trucks all they want. If everyone went to electric our infrastructure couldn't handle it. They can't build another building on Wolf Rd right now. The power is tapped out. Most of us live in rural communities or neighbor hoods. What about all the people that live in cities. Are you going to run an extension cord out your 3rd floor apartment window and out to the street? What if your car is across the street? What if you park in a parking garage? We are nowhere near ready to have most people driving electric cars. 

Someone quoted it costing $25 to fully charge a tesla. It wasn't that long ago many of us could go a week on $25 bucks worth of gas. I haven't filled my truck in a week and a half and its still got half a tank. What is that $25 dollars to fill a Tesla going to cost when we don't have enough power to supply these EV's?

This push is a pipe dream.  Are EV's a good option for some people?  Absolutely.....Are the for everyone? Not anytime soon. We are talking trillions and trillions of dollars to upgrade our electrical system in this country for that. Who is going to foot that bill?

• Like 2

Saw somewhere the cost to put in a home charging station could cost around 20 grand . Don't know how true that is .

Under 2k unless your houses electrical is completely messed up to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk