NYS gettin' in the bud business . . .

I've been involved in growing hemp in NYS the last couple years. Needless to say it's been a complete sh!t show from the onset. NY State's utter ineptitude and inability to manage the program coupled with the Fed's constant foot dragging and changing regulations totally screwed every farmer I know who got involved. I can't name one person in the business that turned a profit or even broke even. I have associates who've lost six figures in the debacle with one I know personally losing 2 million. Everyone knew the risks going in but the smoke n mirror show that went on with the state management of the program made any chance of success impossible. They all got f'd.

Now they've legalized marijuana in NYS. I was against this proposal from day one based on the simple fact I knew the state had no idea how to manage it. The current state proposals are these:

NYS marijuana grow licenses will be issued to three different groups. 1/3 to corporate interests for medical marijuana. 1/3 to hemp growers in "good standing with the state" and 1/3 to individuals classified as socially disadvantaged. 

Here's the kicker lol. Its not hard to grow, but ya gotta have a market to sell it. The current law signed recently designates that those with criminal records for the illegal sale, distribution or possession of narcotics in NYS, those with a misdemeanor or FELONY conviction, will be given first priority and preference when applying for a permit to open a marijuana  dispensary. 200 MILLION of NYS money is being designated to address social inequities in the now legal NYS cannabis market. Can't make this up . . . 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/03/09/new-yorkers-with-prior-marijuana-convictions-expected-to-get-first-retail-licenses

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I've been involved in growing hemp in NYS the last couple years. Needless to say it's been a complete sh!t show from the onset. NY State's utter ineptitude and inability to manage the program coupled with the Fed's constant foot dragging and changing regulations totally screwed every farmer I know who got involved. I can't name one person in the business that turned a profit or even broke even. I have associates who've lost six figures in the debacle with one I know personally losing 2 million. Everyone knew the risks going in but the smoke n mirror show that went on with the state management of the program made any chance of success impossible. They all got f'd.

Now they've legalized marijuana in NYS. I was against this proposal from day one based on the simple fact I knew the state had no idea how to manage it. The current state proposals are these:

NYS marijuana grow licenses will be issued to three different groups. 1/3 to corporate interests for medical marijuana. 1/3 to hemp growers in "good standing with the state" and 1/3 to individuals classified as socially disadvantaged. 

Here's the kicker lol. Its not hard to grow, but ya gotta have a market to sell it. The current law signed recently designates that those with criminal records for the illegal sale, distribution or possession of narcotics in NYS, those with a misdemeanor or FELONY conviction, will be given first priority and preference when applying for a permit to open a marijuana  dispensary. 200 MILLION of NYS money is being designated to address social inequities in the now legal NYS cannabis market. Can't make this up . . . 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/03/09/new-yorkers-with-prior-marijuana-convictions-expected-to-get-first-retail-licenses

I'm always amazed that there not any adults in the room when these decisions are made..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

I'm always amazed that there not any adults in the room when these decisions are made..

Oh they're adults. They're just touched in the head adults. That live in a reality foriegn to us other adults. Tough and frustrating to try and understand. Playing by their rules is a losing game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

There are adults in those rooms, but, they are testing the product to make sure it's safe. So you get craplike this because they bail on reasonable solutions to make a munchie run.

There hasn't been any money in this in ny in years. Legalizing it removed the true profits, hopefully the tax revenue will go to our state and not the politicians..... probably have a better chance hitting the devil in the ass with a snow ball in hell on 4th of July though.

Ny will be no different then any other state. The black market will do even better than they are now. Legalize it and it gives the Ok to have and smoke and like most other things it can be had cheaper out of the dispensary and the quality is just as good if not better. Throw the fact that you willl be able to grow a few of your own….No more hiding…on your own property and the state just cut its own throat for profits. Just another Ny blunder. 

5 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Ny will be no different then any other state. The black market will do even better than they are now. Legalize it and it gives the Ok to have and smoke and like most other things it can be had cheaper out of the dispensary and the quality is just as good if not better. Throw the fact that you willl be able to grow a few of your own….No more hiding…on your own property and the state just cut its own throat for profits. Just another Ny blunder. 

I personally think the price will drop even harder on all markets just like the rest of the country and it becomes a regular commodity. If you lived in ithaca they have been smoking in public for years.

7 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I personally think the price will drop even harder on all markets just like the rest of the country and it becomes a regular commodity. If you lived in ithaca they have been smoking in public for years.

Not in this area. Business is still strong in these parts and there are 10-12 dispensaries about an hour away on the reservation. $65 an eighth at the shops while the streets bring $200 a ounce with both being the same quality. Taxes on the products will hurt sales big time. And now with even more tax per THC levels will hurt them even more. 

56 minutes ago, crappyice said:

What is the rational for giving criminal first crack at the license?
Sorry if I’m asking people to figure out a political move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is those with the best experience will do the best job. A couple hundred plants every year for a few year gives a guy a bit of knowledge. Some got caught but many didn’t 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

The rationale is to give preference to and give support to, the socially disadvantaged, to help provide more equitable opportunities in the NYS cannabis market etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And my apologies but "giving criminals first crack at the license" made made my day lol. 

• Like 1

The rationale is to give preference to and give support to, the socially disadvantaged, to help provide more equitable opportunities in the NYS cannabis market etc. 

More confusion….socially disadvantage = criminal?

• Like 1

More confusion….socially disadvantage = criminal?

Yes. Those who have been convicted of a drug related crime in the past will be given first preference to receive a dispensary license when NYS issues them.  

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Once the Federal government legalizes pot, the big tobacco companies are going to step in and take over the market.  The little guy doesn't have a chance after that.

Perhaps, but the Feds don't have a clue what they're doing either. Its hard for me to envision a scenario where the Feds approve a retail cannabis model that allows the evil "big tobacco" companies to turn a profit. Over regulation and taxation will kill most of the incentives to enter the business. The one exception will probably be the Native American entities that produce and sell tax free cigarettes. They'll find a way to make it work and more than likely strike a deal with the Feds to be a major distributor and retailer of THC products. Some kind of reparation agreement most likely.

The example I'll give is when the CBD oil boom was happening. Coke and Pepsi (among others) were furiously lobbying the FDA to classify CBD as a safe and approved food additive. They wanted to add CBD to every beverage they produce. The FDA couldn't make up their minds so a majority of the big name companies put the concept on hold. Typical bureaucratic bs.

my plan is to grow my own, but damn when I even dip my toe in the research part of that world it seems far more complicated than I ever imagined. I have a green thumb and sure I'll work towards higher yields but it just seems way more complicated than it needs to be to just get into it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Belo said:

my plan is to grow my own, but damn when I even dip my toe in the research part of that world it seems far more complicated than I ever imagined. I have a green thumb and sure I'll work towards higher yields but it just seems way more complicated than it needs to be to just get into it. 

Get with me.   My research shows that those so called “jailbirds” better have deep pockets for start up. Making the product is pretty simple. ( So I have been told)

6 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Get with me.   My research shows that those so called “jailbirds” better have deep pockets for start up. Making the product is pretty simple. ( So I have been told)

I know it's generally simple, I've done it (outdoors, not indoors). But when you start to just look for tips and tricks it's amazing the different perspectives and processes are out there, it becomes overwhelming. 

Since the government is unable or unwilling to stop people from smoking marijuana, they are ready to legalize it for their own profit.

Sadly using marijuana is unhealthy for the respiratory system and the brain.  Who is going to pay for the medical care of the marijuana smokers with respiratory related disease?  Who is going to pay for the medical care for the marijuana smokers who become mentally unfit to work and care for themselves?

4 minutes ago, ADK Native said:

Since the government is unable or unwilling to stop people from smoking marijuana, they are ready to legalize it for their own profit.

Sadly using marijuana is unhealthy for the respiratory system and the brain.  Who is going to pay for the medical care of the marijuana smokers with respiratory related disease?  Who is going to pay for the medical care for the marijuana smokers who become mentally unfit to work and care for themselves?

Why do you want bigger government telling free Americans what they can do with their own body?   You might need big brother to tell you what you can and cant consume, but I dont.

What about people that drink alcohol? Smoke cigarettes? Eat gmo? Eat non organic?  Consume sugar? Who picks and chooses whats good and bad and where does the list end?  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ADK Native said:

I think your getting a little carried away here with your fears. Not that your not correct in a small way but it’s sure is not the doom and gloom you portray it to be. Know Dr’s and Lawyers and some pretty “High” up businessmen that partake in a lefty here and there. It’s not all that.