Mushrooms?

I enjoy harvesting wild mushrooms and have inoculated some.logs myself but have decided to team up with a local organic grower and start to raise shiitake mushrooms on logs . I did some tsi on a stand of hard maple resulting in  a plethora of poles perfect for making bolts.. should be an interesting process on a much larger scale than I am use to  . Looking to do 100 bolts in the next week. 

Anyone else do hobby mushroom farming?

• Like 1

Following closely…but please speak slowly for my mind!!!

TSI? Poles? Bolts?

I haphazardly spread some morel spores around last year from a kit my buddy bought and then forgot about. Think I missed the ideal sowing time frame but I shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Following closely…but please speak slowly for my mind!!!

TSI? Poles? Bolts?

I haphazardly spread some morel spores around last year from a kit my buddy bought and then forgot about. Think I missed the ideal sowing time frame but I shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsi  is timber stand improvement 

Poles are the maple trees that are under salable lumber size but larger than sapling 4 to 10 inch

Bolts are what 3 to 4 ft long lengths of poles are called when inoculated with spawn

• Like 1

I just did some logs last spring. I've got 1,000 Shitake and 500 Italian oysters. Just order 500 Lion's Mane plugs along with 100 blue and 100 yellow Italian oysters. Should get my first harvest of Shitake and the Italians from last spring this fall.

The new plugs will be going on some maple and oak logs. Most of last years planting were on some beech and oaks.

Very excited. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marsala-man said:

I just did some logs last spring. I've got 1,000 Shitake and 500 Italian oysters. Just order 500 Lion's Mane plugs along with 100 blue and 100 yellow Italian oysters. Should get my first harvest of Shitake and the Italians from last spring this fall.

The new plugs will be going on some maple and oak logs. Most of last years planting were on some beech and oaks.

Very excited. 

I did red oak, 2000 sites plug spawn, so many you can't eat em all. Share them with everyone I know. Trade em too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marsala-man said:

Very excited. 

Should really look at poplar,aspen and cottonwood for your oysters. 

1 hour ago, Marsala-man said:

Very excited. 

Look at blight free beech as well for your lionsmane 

46 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Can I use dead ash tree logs?

You want fresh cut logs to minimize chance of other spots being present..  oysters will colonized dead ash   I have about 2 acres of ash tops that are loaded with fall oysters

• Like 1