Why so few options for big caliber hunting rifles in semi-automatic?

phantom

Its 2022 but seems like hunting is still stuck in 1952 in ways .  Why so few guns  like the  Browning BAR or Benelli R1 on the market ?

ARs seem to sell  and they are  semi-automatic .

Is it something to do with  hunting regulations in some areas? I mean why are most of us still using a bolt action?

you are telling me nobody can make a good accurate hunting gun in a big caliber except for basically two models in this day and age ?  Used to be Remington  had one  model also  and they discontinued it . 

IMHO the demand for traditional wood stocked, blued steel semi-auto sporting rifles that are specifically designed for hunting, is low compared to the demand for modern sporting rifles (MSR's) designed for tactical purposes that can also be used for hunting.

I also believe the manufacturers are getting far less profit for the hunting guns compared to the MSR's.  The economies of scale are working when thousands or MSR's are rolling off the line, but not working when few of the hunting guns are.

Younger shooters are familiar with the MSR but not the traditional semi-auto hunting rifle which they see as an antique style with many limitations for upgrades or magazine capacity.

Personally, I would consider a VEPR in .308 before I'd buy a Browning, Remington or Benelli.  

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, I think if you went back a ways (not sure if all the way to 1952), you’d see more options in “deer hunting calibers” in autoloaders than now.

I really enjoy my BAR’s, but they are newer models. They are accurate, not heavy, very reliable, and ergonomic.

My thoughts are that history has proven people favor other actions over autoloaders in their big game hunting rifles for many reasons. Perceived or real reliability issues, cost (for company and consumer), accuracy, weight, and tradition have likely contributed to the very limited options in the market.

I’d love to see others get in (or back in) the game on this.

A 6.5lb, shorter barreled, short action, slim auto loader in various calibers that proves accurate and reliable would give the BAR MK3 some competition.

For what it’s worth, the same could be said for pump guns in rifle calibers.

The other piece is the few big names in gun manufacturers now. For example, Winchester is not going to compete with Browning in any real way since they’re under the same larger company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There hasn't been any decline in the demand for semi-auto hunting shotguns over the years though.  The demand for them has gone way up.  Proving it's not the semi-auto for hunting that has less demand, just the semi-auto rifle for hunting large game.

Standard is bolts and singles more accurate, lever becoming more popular as many states only allow straight wall cartridges.  Semi autos just aren't in with older hunters as ammo is expensive.. ar owners in general are younger and spend money on ammo..

I also think it's that with the accuracy of rifles and good glass people would rather carry a lighter gun with less recoil that still does the same job. There's no real need for a larger caliber to take down a deer. So can get a nice bolt action .308 for a cheap price and it's hunt ready. And no real reason to need a semi.

Most of the semis now are in shotgun for birds where it's a nice advantage for a second shot. But I can't see an instance where deer hunting a semi was a needed advantage. At least for me.

Also some of the larger calipers in lever action are more popular now with the invent of rounds like lever revolution that can load pointed bullets in them and increase accuracy and distance.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Hunting is about the first shot...not the last. Single shots, bolts, pumps, levers, generally all are more inexpensive than semi rifles, usually more rifle for the buck. Also, Semi rifles tend to be a bit more finicky, with reasonable limits on the size of the cartridge. 

34 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Hunting is about the first shot...not the last. Single shots, bolts, pumps, levers, generally all are more inexpensive than semi rifles, usually more rifle for the buck. Also, Semi rifles tend to be a bit more finicky, with reasonable limits on the size of the cartridge. 

Well for me its always about the first shot but thats because i cant run the action fast enough on my bolt gun to get 2ed  shot lol  I been hunting since 80s and there are times I think if had semi rifle i wood have gotten a 2ed shot off and gotten that deer that the first missed or hit the branch infront of that deer  and made me miss . 

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Well for me its always about the first shot but thats because i cant run the action fast enough on my bolt gun to get 2ed  shot lol  I been hunting since 80s and there are times I think if had semi rifle i wood have gotten a 2ed shot off and gotten that deer that the first missed or hit the branch infront of that deer  and made me miss . 

Not only did I get a second and killing shot off last year, with my bolt action, I had time to dial up the scope and take my time . Lucky I guess the buck didn’t run after I missed with the first ,  it was 200 yards and it looked like he didn’t know where the first shot came from .

I got a running coyote a few years back in the same field with my 4th shot , pure luck or was it ?

Edited by Nomad

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

That's what levers and pumps are for...

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Not only did I get a second and killing shot off last year, with my bolt action, I had time to dial up the scope and take my time . Lucky I guess the buck didn’t run after I missed with the first ,  it was 200 yards and it looked like he didn’t know where the first shot came from .

I got a running coyote a few years back in the same field with my 4th shot , pure luck or was it ?

I dont think its luck i think you shoot faster then me but i dont hunt in open fields usally either The Situation's I'm talking  about is where I have  jumped deer in the woods thick brush and probably Could have killed them if I had a semi-automatic over my bolt  gun I'm thinking anyway but who knows.

30 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

How big are you looking for? Many companies offer semi auto's in 300Mag, .375, and other larger chamberings. There isn't anything a 300 Winchester Mag don't drop. Unless you think dinosaurs might return.

Nothing crazy you know in a 308 to 300 mag range   just surprised there  not more options than the two or three that I know of . 

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

The used market has lots of semi-auto hunting rifles to choose from.  If anyone ever made one, you can find a used model online somewhere.

Maybe an M1A from Springfield Armory would be for you.

No thanks if I get one it's going to be the browning  bar or the Benelli R1

I use a mini 30 about 90% of rifle season, although not a big caliber I've only needed a second quick shot once . I know they say bolts are more accurate but man how much more .......

Edited by sbuff

43 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I use a mini 30 about 90% of rifle season, although not a big caliber I've only needed a second quick shot once . I know they say bolts are more accurate but man how much more .......

3 shot clover leaf at 150 vs 3 shots inside a nickel?

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

The state of Pennsylvania does not allow semi auto rifles OR shotguns for big game hunting... I don't know if any other states do the same, but PA is a huge market for hunting rifles...

They love those pump 3006, I think they call them the overland special?

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Yeah I heard they changed something on the newer ones to make them more accurate now.

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Its 2022 but seems like hunting is still stuck in 1952 in ways .  Why so few guns  like the  Browning BAR or Benelli R1 on the market ?

ARs seem to sell  and they are  semi-automatic .

Is it something to do with  hunting regulations in some areas? I mean why are most of us still using a bolt action?

you are telling me nobody can make a good accurate hunting gun in a big caliber except for basically two models in this day and age ?  Used to be Remington  had one  model also  and they discontinued it . 

I have a buddy who got the 450 beowolf in AR platform, after messing with some loads it cycles really well and is a nasty round.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Yeah I heard they changed something on the newer ones to make them more accurate now.

I have shot a few, they are really dependable, I never saw a lack in accuracy, and you look like Hannibal Smith. It at least comes in .308 if not larger.