Why so few options for big caliber hunting rifles in semi-automatic?

phantom

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

3 shot clover leaf at 150 vs 3 shots inside a nickel?

For hunting purposes both will work , free hand not many can get 3 shot in a quarter let alone a nickle. Target shooting whole different discussion.  Just my two cents. 

I shot my buck this year with my Remington 760 pump in .35 REM, jumped him from his bed while tracking him and was able to get two quick shots.  I really would like a Remington 742 semi but they have a bad reputation for jamming, sometimes called a Jamomatic.  

• Like 3

I agree running shots are on a case by case basis. I picked up a Remington 572 pump 22 scoped it with a 4x leupold and have been practicing stalking can in the woods and shooting quickly.  I feel it’s making me a better quick shot.  Ideally tracking you catch them in there beds or not watching there back trail but that’s not always the case. 

• Like 1

Semi's aren't popular, because everyone knows that semi autos are evil and it's disrespectful to shoot a deer at 50 yards with a rifle that doesn't have the ability to shoot a gnats ass of at 400 yards or the recoil to make you flinch.

They also need to be maintained to function properly and any rifle that you need to clean + unload before storing in a rifle case after the season ends is junk. 

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

For hunting purposes both will work , free hand not many can get 3 shot in a quarter let alone a nickle. Target shooting whole different discussion.  Just my two cents. 

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I was making a comment that there's not much difference in a semi or other actions, especially with today's technology. But, that information is mainly gathered from reading because I haven't shot every gun out there or every ammo available. Offhand, I'm happy with a half dollar from my deer rifles. 4-6" is OK by me with the ML and shotguns using slugs.

• Like 1

I would say the main reason is demand, I just do not think it is there these days. I had a Remington 742 30-06 and a Browning BAR 270 and they were both great functioning rifles that had good big game accuracy. There was something about them that made me not fall in love, and they went down the road. I just have a preference for single shots, bolt actions and lever actions. I do like auto loading shotguns for the reasons mentions above. I also have several rimfire rifles and some handguns that are autoloaders and like and use them quite a bit.

Guaranteed if there was enough demand and a profit to be made some manufacturer would jump on it I think.

If I had to have an autoloader today I would look for a Browning BAR in the configuration and caliber I wanted.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I think you nailed it ..Guess that is why I'm suprised the majority of hunting rifles are bolts and not semi. 

This just an opinion, but I think it's building and cost-effective. It's a little easier to mass produce a bolt gun than any other. A solid piece of wood (or synthetic), a barrel, a trigger, and the bolt. Other actions are two pieces of wood, the actual metal chamber/receiver, and the other mechanics of the action, in this case the mechanics to turn the gas or recoil into energy to cycle the rifle. Sort of like many semi shotguns don't like to cycle low brass because the charge isn't always enough to cause the reaction to eject the spent shell and load the new round in.

5 hours ago, airedale said:

I would say the main reason is demand, I just do not think it is there these days. I had a Remington 742 30-06 and a Browning BAR 270 and they were both great functioning rifles that had good big game accuracy. There was something about them that made me not fall in love, and they went down the road.

I've been thinking of purchasing a BAR for some time. Can you think back to anything you think was lacking?

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

2 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I've been thinking of purchasing a BAR for some time. Can you think back about anything you think was lacking?

VH  a Browning Bar lacks nothing !  You missed out last spring on some quality Browning Bar MK 3 carbines. LL Cote in Errol NH brought in a special order of 100 of these . They sold out in 2 weeks between selling them in their store and gunbroker . They went for $1,300 . Here is one of them that resold on gunbroker for $2000 . They weighed 6.9 lbs with a 19 inch barrel and deadly accurate . Two guys on another site each bought one . All bullet holes touching dead center on the bulls eye .

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921672300

I have been hunting with a Browning Bar since 1985 . My old one is a standard 22 inch barrel with a steel receiver . Weighs close to 7 1/2 pounds . In 2017 a gun shop in Constable NY brought out a special run of 50 Browning Bar carbines in 30-06 with an 18 inch barrel that weighed 6 1/2 lbs with special fiber optic iron sights that I had never seen before . You adjust the front and read sight with an allen wrench.  The front sight moves left / right and periscopes up and down . I bought 2 of these . Never mind a clover leaf .I literately put 4 shots just about in the same hole . All my other rifles now take a back seat to this gun . I put a Leupold VX6 1x6 with a Firedot Duplex reticle on it and cant be happier . Moog has one of these rifles too that he bought from a member here Billdoggie . They have not made any with those iron sights since this batch of 50. The recoil on these new Browning Bar carbines is probably 1/2 compared to my older standard Bar because of the Influx technology pad. Feels like I'm shooting a 243 instead of a 30-06.  If you are really interested you should check out Performance Shooting in Constable NY to see what special order Browning Bars they might have coming up .

DSCN9383.JPG

Scope.JPG

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Interesting.  Definitely looks way clunkier than the browning. I’ve been wanting a BAR for a while. I also want a Buck Mark. 

Not sure about that that guy looks like he's about 4 foot nothing making it look bigger then it is i think,  haven't seen one physically in a gun store yet to say it's one way or the other if it's really that bulky of a gun. 

Can't imagine what I would do with a semi in .338WM.  Sure as heck wouldn't want to run off a full mag in less than 5 seconds.

Even a .300WM semi seems a bit much.  I'll stick with my Ruger Mini-30. ;)

Edited by Grouse

VH  a Browning Bar lacks nothing !  You missed out last spring on some quality Browning Bar MK 3 carbines. LL Cote in Errol NH brought in a special order of 100 of these . They sold out in 2 weeks between selling them in their store and gunbroker . They went for $1,300 . Here is one of them that resold on gunbroker for $2000 . They weighed 6.9 lbs with a 19 inch barrel and deadly accurate . Two guys on another site each bought one . All bullet holes touching dead center on the bulls eye .
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921672300
I have been hunting with a Browning Bar since 1985 . My old one is a standard 22 inch barrel with a steel receiver . Weighs close to 7 1/2 pounds . In 2017 a gun shop in Constable NY brought out a special run of 50 Browning Bar carbines in 30-06 with an 18 inch barrel that weighed 6 1/2 lbs with special fiber optic iron sights that I had never seen before . You adjust the front and read sight with an allen wrench.  The front sight moves left / right and periscopes up and down . I bought 2 of these . Never mind a clover leaf .I literately put 4 shots just about in the same hole . All my other rifles now take a back seat to this gun . I put a Leupold VX6 1x6 with a Firedot Duplex reticle on it and cant be happier . Moog has one of these rifles too that he bought from a member here Billdoggie . They have not made any with those iron sights since this batch of 50. The recoil on these new Browning Bar carbines is probably 1/2 compared to my older standard Bar because of the Influx technology pad. Feels like I'm shooting a 243 instead of a 30-06.  If you are really interested you should check out Performance Shooting in Constable NY to see what special order Browning Bars they might have coming up .

DSCN9383.JPG.c994529e1abde2258251d0b74752a98c.JPG
Scope.thumb.JPG.27f8a6dd88a8c5daf7cfffaff1d4760f.JPG

This!
I prefer the .308 carbine, but yes! Mine are SortTrac’s but the MK3 is great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Anyone have one of these can you really feel the difference in felt recoil with one of them

I own one in 30-06 and have a 308 barrel for it. 30-06’s don’t recoil much so I never noticed a difference between the R1 or my Remington or browning autos. The R1 is the least accurate one I own but still plenty good for deer hunting. I cut the 30-06 barrel down to 18” and it helped some with the accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

Who feels the recoil when shooting at a big buck anyway?

At leaat i dont with my big hunting jacket on I could shoot a elephent gun and it would not bother me . But I'm wondering anyway if the recoil system  they advertise  really works or is it just a gimmick .

If you have to take a second shot  that would help you get back   on target faster . If the gun is not dancing around as much . 

Edited by phantom