Predator Control makes all the difference

Grouse

Trapping and other forms of predator control will increase turkey numbers in your area.

Does Trapping Help Turkey Populations? The Proof Is in the Poults | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

"I personally don’t waste my time worrying about what people say to downplay the importance of predator control. Of course trapping is hard work, but so is other habitat improvement, and I’d much rather run a trapline than sit on a tractor. Maybe large-scale predator control isn’t realistic, but that doesn’t mean running a trapline on your place won’t help your turkey numbers.  

As for the resident/transient coyote argument, I’m sure that study was valid and conducted by people with more degrees than I have. I just personally haven’t seen the same result here. I killed those six coyotes last winter, haven’t seen many others since, and all the sudden we have baby turkeys running around everywhere." 

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 4

The point probably is, instead of posting what you find on the web, why not post your own personal experience in game populations in your area. Seeing you live in the woods and are in them every day. We all know you have 500# does where you live, or at least that was your story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps I find good articles to have educational value, especially to those who like to challenge what average, everyday hunter's post.

I don't post negative comments about others on here unless they do it to me first.  And now, even those people, I just ignore.  That list is getting longer all the time.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

The point probably is, instead of posting what you find on the web, why not post your own personal experience in game populations in your area. Seeing you live in the woods and are in them every day. We all know you have 500# does where you live, or at least that was your story.

I mean the take away for me is that he said he killed multiple coyotes and had more turkeys? Isn't that talking about personal experience? I'm confused at this post banter?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I mean the take away for me is that he said he killed multiple coyotes and had more turkeys? Isn't that talking about personal experience? I'm confused at this post banter?

Typical come back from a couple that have bent noses from original poster. Useless Reply’s. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Typical come back from a couple that have bent noses from original poster. Useless Reply’s. 

I have no idea what your talking about? I read the post and replied my view? I was also saying the original post made sense and the follow up banter was confusing? Too many Sunday mimosas?

14 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I have no idea what your talking about? I read the post and replied my view? I was also saying the original post made sense and the follow up banter was confusing? Too many Sunday mimosas?

Lol. I was agreeing with you. You were spot on with your statement. I was referring to the two stupid replies that Grouse received from the other two. Both have had their noses bent from the original poster in the past so they give idiotic replies. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Lol. I was agreeing with you. You were spot on with your statement. I was referring to the two stupid replies that Grouse received from the other two. Both have had their noses bent from the original poster in the past so they give idiotic replies. 

I don’t recall having any trouble with Grouse in the past.  You on the other hand, that’s another story.  Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmartinson said:

In his opening post, he has attached a link to a story then quoted a portion of the attachment.  It almost looks like (if you glance at it quickly) Grouse was the trapper here, he wasn't.

It's nice when you get some real world experience instead of all the links.

• Like 1

As an upland bird hunter at heart, I have a conundrum with helping to save the wild turkey population in NY.

I was told by a wildlife biologist that if found, turkey will destroy grouse nests and that a larger turkey population correlate's to having a smaller grouse population.

I don't like the taste of turkey either, so I have two reasons not to save them.

Fortunately for you turkey hunters, I despise coyote more than turkey.

4 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

I was told by a wildlife biologist that if found, turkey will destroy grouse nests and that a larger turkey population correlate's to having a smaller grouse population.

Never heard that.....

I think ANY ground nesting bird has a hell of a poor shot a raising her chicks with all the predators looking for a meal.  Fisher, coyote, fox, raccoon, opossum, bear and _____________,____________,___________etc etc looking for a easy snack.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

As an upland bird hunter at heart, I have a conundrum with helping to save the wild turkey population in NY.

I don't like the taste of turkey either, so I have two reasons not to save them.

Fortunately for you turkey hunters, I despise coyote more than turkey.

I think this is mostly a myth and shouldn’t account for the decline in grouse populations. It all comes down to the same thing: habitat. 

https://fwf.tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2020/07/Do-wild-turkeys-influence-quail-or-grouse-populations.pdf

https://www.wxpr.org/natural-resources/2018-09-17/do-turkeys-eat-grouse

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

In his opening post, he has attached a link to a story then quoted a portion of the attachment.  It almost looks like (if you glance at it quickly) Grouse was the trapper here, he wasn't.

It's nice when you get some real world experience instead of all the links.

Lol. Agreed. But pretty snarky reply you must admit. 

44 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I think this is mostly a myth and shouldn’t account for the decline in grouse populations. It all comes down to the same thing: habitat. 

https://fwf.tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2020/07/Do-wild-turkeys-influence-quail-or-grouse-populations.pdf

https://www.wxpr.org/natural-resources/2018-09-17/do-turkeys-eat-grouse

Of you don't believe that go to Maine,  they are everywhere

16 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

You’re saying that Maine is a good example of grouse and turkeys co-existing in large numbers due to great habitat? 

Maine is full of poplar and spruce/ fir..  great grouse habitat..  not to mention it's clear cut in many areas..   unlike ny where prime turkey and grouse   nesting has disappeared because of growth or conversion to food plots.. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:35 AM, Kmartinson said:

Never mind. It wasn't banter, and the OP isn't the person who wrote or lives what happened with the link posted.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:04 AM, Grouse said:

Trapping and other forms of predator control will increase turkey numbers in your area.

Does Trapping Help Turkey Populations? The Proof Is in the Poults | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

"I personally don’t waste my time worrying about what people say to downplay the importance of predator control. Of course trapping is hard work, but so is other habitat improvement, and I’d much rather run a trapline than sit on a tractor. Maybe large-scale predator control isn’t realistic, but that doesn’t mean running a trapline on your place won’t help your turkey numbers.  

As for the resident/transient coyote argument, I’m sure that study was valid and conducted by people with more degrees than I have. I just personally haven’t seen the same result here. I killed those six coyotes last winter, haven’t seen many others since, and all the sudden we have baby turkeys running around everywhere." 

We have a Ton of Coyotes here and also a ton of baby turkeys

there was a Coyote that was tagged close to here Worcester, NY. then killed in a trap in PA

Just now, Danny said:

We have a Ton of Coyotes here and also a ton of baby turkeys, and more grouse than i have seen anywhere else i've hunted 

there was a Coyote that was tagged close to here Worcester, NY. then killed in a trap in PA